RFTools - Support and Suggestions

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
This is one of those things that you'll need to discuss with Vahzkii.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Well the unknown dimlet rarity in chests is configurable so someone can always reduce the chance in a modpack containing both RFTools and Botania. I don't see it as a big problem. There are plenty of other mod combinations that can yield massive amounts of dimlets in no time (Draconic Evolution Enderman spawner springs to mind).

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Well the unknown dimlet rarity in chests is configurable so someone can always reduce the chance in a modpack containing both RFTools and Botania. I don't see it as a big problem. There are plenty of other mod combinations that can yield massive amounts of dimlets in no time (Draconic Evolution Enderman spawner springs to mind).
I gotta agree with this. Its awesome that you can configure it and its just something peeps need to be aware of if they want to keep their game balance wherever they want it.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
With a matter transmitter and matter receiver you can setup one way teleportation from the transmitter to the receiver. For two way teleportation you need two transmitters and two receivers.

You also need a dialing device to dial a nearby transmitter to any receiver in the world. You only need one dialing device even for two way teleportation since you can pick up dialed transmitters and move them.

All three devices (transmitter, receiver and dialing device) need power.

Is that what you wanted to know?

So, to use RfTools for link books, you'd need to take into the dimension with you a matter transmitter, a dialing device, and a battery to charge them; you'd need a matter receiver back home, also with power. You don't have an emergency "book it out of here!" device in your hotbar, so you have to actually get back to your arrival spot where the blocks are; alternatively, three of each (one set in inventory, one set at arrival, and one set in chest near arrival for creeper protection).

On top of that, you'd still have to worry about either crumble or explosions destroying the blocks just because in really unstable ages.

What kind of power cost would the dialer and transmitter take, and what would be the resource cost for something like that?

So far, it looks like it does the job of eliminating mystcraft's overpowered teleportation. The next question is, is it too far in the other direction?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
So, to use RfTools for link books, you'd need to take into the dimension with you a matter transmitter, a dialing device, and a battery to charge them; you'd need a matter receiver back home, also with power. You don't have an emergency "book it out of here!" device in your hotbar, so you have to actually get back to your arrival spot where the blocks are; alternatively, three of each (one set in inventory, one set at arrival, and one set in chest near arrival for creeper protection).

Just to clarify, there is in fact a personal hotbar "book it" item. You can tune it to a specific receiver and then use it at any time to return back to that receiver (For something like 50K RF, I forget the exact cost)

You can theoretically keep several of these on your person attuned to different receivers, although I'm not sure if there's an easy way to distinguish which is which.

When playing with RFTools I always keep a single personal transporter thingy attuned to send me back home.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com

On top of that, you'd still have to worry about either crumble or explosions destroying the blocks just because in really unstable ages.

What kind of power cost would the dialer and transmitter take, and what would be the resource cost for something like that?

So far, it looks like it does the job of eliminating mystcraft's overpowered teleportation. The next question is, is it too far in the other direction?

There is a charged porter item that makes this slightly easier. Just a single item that you can set to a receiver back at home and have to charge for a single trip back.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Ok. So, a mystcraft D-book to go out, and on initial exploration bring three of those charged "return home" items (plus 2 chests). Later, if the world is a keeper, a dialing device and transmitter, and something to generate power to keep them running.

What sort of construction costs are we talking about for these -- where in the tech tree does this push a mystcraft age back to? (And, in comparison, where in the tech tree is an RfDim?)

I.e.: Since a receiver, and power, are needed for both, and the transmitter isn't too far apart for repeat usage of a keeper world, the cost of using RfTools to make worlds is the cost to power those worlds, and the cost of the dimlet assembly stuff/world creator. So how much does this differ from just the "travel to" aspect?

My goals, again:
1. Reduce or eliminate the OP nature of mystcraft link books (it made sense for the D'ni, but lets face it, Steve is not a D'ni and doesn't really know what he's doing),
2. Make mystcraft ages be a relatively early source of unstable ages (I can make the unstable aspect already), and
3. Make RfTools a later source of stable worlds.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Ok. So, a mystcraft D-book to go out, and on initial exploration bring three of those charged "return home" items (plus 2 chests). Later, if the world is a keeper, a dialing device and transmitter, and something to generate power to keep them running.

What sort of construction costs are we talking about for these -- where in the tech tree does this push a mystcraft age back to? (And, in comparison, where in the tech tree is an RfDim?)

I.e.: Since a receiver, and power, are needed for both, and the transmitter isn't too far apart for repeat usage of a keeper world, the cost of using RfTools to make worlds is the cost to power those worlds, and the cost of the dimlet assembly stuff/world creator. So how much does this differ from just the "travel to" aspect?

My goals, again:
1. Reduce or eliminate the OP nature of mystcraft link books (it made sense for the D'ni, but lets face it, Steve is not a D'ni and doesn't really know what he's doing),
2. Make mystcraft ages be a relatively early source of unstable ages (I can make the unstable aspect already), and
3. Make RfTools a later source of stable worlds.

Well you need a decent power production depending on the dimension. More for diamond block worlds etc. You also need enderpearls, diamonds and some emeralds are those are ingredients you need to make some of these machines. So RFTools is certainly more mid/late game compared to Mystcraft.

Frontrider

Jul 29, 2019

Wait. Enderman drops them? So thats why I found some in the storage of my mobfarm.

I found an another level of opness: you can spawn wisps. Increase their cost or change it to a thaumcraft related stuff. Probably a smaller amount of wispy essence (well, thats what they drop)/ auram crystal (they are probably made out of the aura itself, so its correct too) instead of diamond should be fine. Ender IO doesn't blocks wisps from his spawner, and there are multiple ways to move "vanilla" mobspawners (jabba,probably blood magic,botania, and theres probably more). Only mfr blocks it from his spawner.(I have no ender io installed, when I spotted that you also have a spawning mechanic, wisp was the first thing to try, since a wispspawner is just op)

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Wait. Enderman drops them? So thats why I found some in the storage of my mobfarm.

I found an another level of opness: you can spawn wisps. Increase their cost or change it to a thaumcraft related stuff. Probably a smaller amount of wispy essence (well, thats what they drop)/ auram crystal (they are probably made out of the aura itself, so its correct too) instead of diamond should be fine. Ender IO doesn't blocks wisps from his spawner, and there are multiple ways to move "vanilla" mobspawners (jabba,probably blood magic,botania, and theres probably more). Only mfr blocks it from his spawner.(I have no ender io installed, when I spotted that you also have a spawning mechanic, wisp was the first thing to try, since a wispspawner is just op)

Ok, I may make them a bit more expensive then.

Frontrider

Jul 29, 2019
Second thaumcraft opness: the liquid purifying fluid dimlet should be way more rare/ only craftable. it says rarity 2 , and i literally found it in the very first dungeon. Took us a few weeks to get a single page with mystcrafts. I will do the same "get an infinite ocean of purifying fluid" thingy again anyaways, bt it should be harder. If its craftable, than I have to make it manually, aka. craft a ton of the expensive stuff.

tall vertical walls are normal? Its like the seed has been changed between the first chunks, and the rest of the world.

Last edited:

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Second thaumcraft opness: the liquid purifying fluid dimlet should be way more rare/ only craftable. it says rarity 2 , and i literally found it in the very first dungeon. Took us a few weeks to get a single page with mystcrafts. I will do the same "get an infinite ocean of purifying fluid" thingy again anyaways, bt it should be harder. If its craftable, than I have to make it manually, aka. craft a ton of the expensive stuff.

tall vertical walls are normal? Its like the seed has been changed between the first chunks, and the rest of the world.

This dimlet has been raised to rarity 3 in rftools 3.10.

Tall vertical walls? Can you clarify that a bit? Screenshot? Also what kind of terrain?

Frontrider

Jul 29, 2019

The anomaly, only seems to appears around the spawnchunks.

Add liquid death to the same level (if you want to troll, than you can give a low rarity to tainted stuff). Actually, engineers toolbox neurotoxin deserves the same rating. (I got one from that stuff too) Request a list from mod authors on their rarest /strongest stuff, than add all of them to a high rarity. Its just too easy now. (after a few minutes I got 2-3 ardite dimlets as well, while I could find a very little amount in the nether compared to cobalt)

Ignore the fireball, the world is full of ghasts (and also villagers), whitch makes me think about a test. How cursed earth works in your dimensions? I could make one spawn like, wither skeletons , endermans or blizzes than use it as a mobfarm? Maybe a void world to maximise spawning rates, or even remove the need for cursed earth?

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com

The anomaly, only seems to appears around the spawnchunks.

Add liquid death to the same level (if you want to troll, than you can give a low rarity to tainted stuff). Actually, engineers toolbox neurotoxin deserves the same rating. (I got one from that stuff too) Request a list from mod authors on their rarest /strongest stuff, than add all of them to a high rarity. Its just too easy now. (after a few minutes I got 2-3 ardite dimlets as well, while I could find a very little amount in the nether compared to cobalt)

Ignore the fireball, the world is full of ghasts (and also villagers), whitch makes me think about a test. How cursed earth works in your dimensions? I could make one spawn like, wither skeletons , endermans or blizzes than use it as a mobfarm? Maybe a void world to maximise spawning rates, or even remove the need for cursed earth?

You got a 'nearlands' terrain. It looks like that.

And yes, you could add hostile mobs to your dimension. Making it rather dangerous :)

Frontrider

Jul 29, 2019
You got a 'nearlands' terrain. It looks like that.

And yes, you could add hostile mobs to your dimension. Making it rather dangerous :)

Thats actually really funny xD

What is dangerous to someone, is the most valuable thing to someone else. :D dangerous stuff is usually really valuable as well.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
@McJty, dunno if you've already done this, but would you be interested in allowing us to inscribe the personal teleporter item, in case we want to carry multiples on our person and differentiate between them?

Inscription via anvil would probably be simplest implementation.

Cybertron7

Jul 29, 2019
I have a pressing issue.

I recently added Compact Machines and The Aether II to my server. Both of these mods add a dimension. However, every time we try to enter their dimensions, we get instantly killed by the collapsing world. This shouldn't happen in these dimensions. How can I make these dimensions immune to the effects of needing power? Why does this problem not affect other dimensions such as the Deep Dark from Extra Utilities? (could be because Extra Utilities was added the same time as RFTools).

I believe the Aether wants to use dimension 3, and Compact Machines wants to use dimension 5. How does the RFTools dimension system work? Does it use dimension IDs starting at 3 and going up? Are these mods' worldgen overriding an old RFTools dimension?

I took the liberty of trying NEI's dimension dump, but it does not show RFTools dimensions.

http://ctrlv.in/604068

Your help is greatly appreciated!

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I have a pressing issue.

I recently added Compact Machines and The Aether II to my server. Both of these mods add a dimension. However, every time we try to enter their dimensions, we get instantly killed by the collapsing world. This shouldn't happen in these dimensions. How can I make these dimensions immune to the effects of needing power? Why does this problem not affect other dimensions such as the Deep Dark from Extra Utilities? (could be because Extra Utilities was added the same time as RFTools).

I believe the Aether wants to use dimension 3, and Compact Machines wants to use dimension 5. How does the RFTools dimension system work? Does it use dimension IDs starting at 3 and going up? Are these mods' worldgen overriding an old RFTools dimension?

I took the liberty of trying NEI's dimension dump, but it does not show RFTools dimensions.

http://ctrlv.in/604068

Your help is greatly appreciated!

I assume you had rftools dimensions at 3 and 5? In that case you should probably change the config of those mods to use another id or else you could attempt /rftdim safedel 3

Rftools starts at dimension 2 but it skips dimensions that are taken by other mods. Of course it cannot do that if you add those other mods afterwards