RFTools - Support and Suggestions

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
It is time to put the old 'RFTools Dimension Poll' thread to a rest as it no longer fits its purpose. So instead I propose this new thread where people can submit suggestions, bug reports or simply discuss features of the RFTools mod.

Link to the mod: http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...ools-dimension-builder-teleportation-powerful

I have many more plans for the future of this mod and I will report about those here too.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
To get things started. Here are a few ideas for the future:

• Now you can use the 'Dimension Monitor' tool to check if you still have enough power in the dimension. I plan to add at least two more things to help with this. First I would like to have a logic block that sends out a redstone signal when power gets low. So you can use this to power a kind of alarm system. Secondly I also want to add a 'screen' system to RFTools which you could use to display various parameters on. One parameter might be the RF of the current dimension.
  • About these screens. This is an idea that I'm having for making multiblock screens where you can insert modules to allow the display of various things. There can be modules for dimension information, RF information, inventory/storage information, and so on. So this is not only useful for dimension stuff but any kind of thing you might want to display information on in your tech world.
  • Siren system (can be attached to the dimension power monitor block)
  • DONE: Dimension Monitor Block to send out redstone signal in case of dimension power failure.
  • Sky variation: stars, more celestial bodies, ...
  • More terrain features for dimensions: Ruined skyscraper cities, ...
  • DONE: island variations.
  • DONE: cave world.
  • More sky features for dimensions: multiple suns/moons/...
  • Weather features in dimensions: eternal rain, sunlight, ...
  • No Gravity effect: a bit like in galacticraft dimensions but I'm not sure yet how to actually implement this.
  • Add the ability to add mod-specific mob dimlets to the config.
  • DONE: The Destination Analyzer block should be capable of warning if the power is low in the destination dimension.
  • Portable teleporter which needs to be charged for a single usage. When activated it will start the teleportation process. You can interrupt this by either moving or selecting it again but some charge will be lost which means it will no longer work.
  • DONE: The Dimension Monitor item should visibly change appearance based on current power level so that you don't have to activate it all the time.

Last edited:

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Change "No Gravity effect" to "variable Gravity effect", from zero G to 2G.

Could you make an actual audio siren warning system? Only mod that has that is IC2 (as far as I know), and I do miss being able to have a redstone controlled siren go off. Has a bit more impact than just a flashing light.

LivingAngryCheese

Over-Achiever
Aug 22, 2014
A place
I support the gravity idea. But could there be a literal no gravity? So if you jump you float up until you hit something, and you don't fall unless you press shift, in which case you would fall until you hit something. There could be some way to make artificial gravity though. I'm not sure how long this would take though, if it takes a long time it probably isn't worth it.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Well I see three types of effects: 'reduced gravity' (like the moon), 'no gravity' (like space), and 'heavy gravity' where you wouldn't even be able to jump up slopes (would be a bad effect).

A gravity machine might be nice to make. But that's for the future.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Tip: how to get rid of all randomness in your worlds. The basic non-random dimension template. All these dimlets are craftable:

• Material None Dimlet: modifier for next terrain dimlet which makes the terrain use default stone material.
  • Liquid None Dimlet: modifier for next terrain dimlet which makes the terrain use default water for oceans.
  • Terrain Dimlet: (void is craftable, flat is craftable as soon as you have dimensional shards).
  • Mobs Default Dimlet: don't add any extra mobs (doesn't prevent normal mob spawning of course). You need dimensional shards to craft this one.
  • Sky Normal Day Dimlet: day has normal brightness. Craftable with dimensional shards.
  • Sky Normal Night Dimlet: night has normal brightness.
  • Structure None Dimlet: no villages, strongholds, dungeons, fortresses, whatever will be generated. Doesn't (currently) affect dimlet dungeons.
  • Feature None Dimlet: no tendrils, canyons, ravines, mazes, or additional oregen will be generated.
  • Effect None Dimlet: no good or bad effects will be generated.
  • Time Normal Dimlet: normal time (day/night cycle). Needs dimensional shards to craft.
Hope this helps people to set up predictable dimensions.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Working on various safety features right now.

First I extended the (already existing) Destination Analyzer functionality. This block can be put next to a dialing device to allow the 'Check' functionality to work as well as next to a matter transmitter so that the beam of the transmitter changes to red if the destination is not ok in some way (i.e. the matter receiver has no power). I extended this so that this can also check if the destination dimension has enough power. So if you have a matter transmitter set up to some dimension and the beam is red then better check your dimension status before entering!

Secondly I improved the dimension monitor item. This item allows you to select the current powerlevel of the dimension by right clicking it. I now enhanced it so that it also changes visual appearance depending on the amount of power in your current dimension. So you get an easy visual indication without having to select it all the time.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Who can make me some concept-art ruined skyscrapers that can potentially be used as structures in some RFTools dimensions? I'm thinking futuristic but abandoned cities with rooms for spawners and some loot. Preferably using vanilla blocks and/or the decorative blocks currently present in RFTools. But since it is concept you can use any block. We can make new deco blocks if needed.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Just to get the ball rolling, a "simple" 1 chunk size skyscraper (needs a few more floors, but gives enough idea at this stage). Ignore the worldgen ruins around it. I was experimenting with the pattern blocks. Would need a block that is just the cross shape on all sides, and the diamond shape on all sides.
Floors are 3 blocks thickness, with a single block void inbetween, perfect for hiding spawners.

Sky1.jpg

Sky2.jpg

Sky3.jpg

Reactions: McJty

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Ooh, those look really good actually! Now adding some damage and destruction :)

Still not sure if I'll be able to calculate damage but I will try.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Main issue is that there's not really a lot of floor space, and there's no way to get between floors. A stair case would be too big, so ideally needs a way of teleporting between floors.
Also needs a door, wood/iron would be out of place.

I think a more "functional" design needs to be at least 2x2 chunks in size.

I've some more designs in mind, but they are bigger, so will take more time.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Yes, getting up/down would be an issue. How is this actually handled in the crash landing buildings?

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Yes, getting up/down would be an issue. How is this actually handled in the crash landing buildings?
Combination of Open Blocks Elevators and unpowered PneumaticCraft elevators.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
You know that at some point I was planning to have some kind of RF powered elevator system in RFTools but it got postponed due to the dimension builder :)

But in any case, that would require RF. Maybe such a system could work but the elevators would need to be powered by the player (or else he has to find other ways to get up).

But I don't have that elevator system yet so for now that's not really a solution.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
As long as they look good, doesn't matter too much if there no is obvious way between floors. The amount of RF and resources for a dimension, the player by that point should have lots of tools and flight. Failing that, there's always the trusty old nerd pole :D