Regarding Private Modpacks

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Thx Ash, I'll adjust the spreadsheet, nice find :)
I've been trying to get myself to sit down and make a pack for myself for when I eventually get a server going. RP2 is one of my favorites, so when I saw that a while back, I was elated.

Cozie

Jul 29, 2019
I've been trying to get myself to sit down and make a pack for myself for when I eventually get a server going. RP2 is one of my favorites, so when I saw that a while back, I was elated.
now I re-read the "deal", I don't think I'll get permission anytime soon.
Unless I understand it wrong ... she still expects +100 posts on minecraft forums and a pack that is at least a month old?!! cmon ...

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
now I re-read the "deal", I don't think I'll get permission anytime soon.
Unless I understand it wrong ... she still expects +100 posts on minecraft forums and a pack that is at least a month old?!! cmon ...
I'm reading/understanding it as this:
(Combined statement) Established modpacks or private server packs only.
(Clarification on point 1, established modpacks) If your post count is below 100, and your modpack is less than a month old, I'll just say no.
(Clarification on point 2, private server packs) A "private server pack" refers to a modpack intended to be used by a closed membership Minecraft server and distributed only to those members.

I could be wrong though, and it never hurts to try. The most they can say is no.

Mooseman9

Jul 29, 2019
Quote from the MCF: "OMFG!!! I answor UR qstn, U gibme diamond an upvote NAO!!!"

Now you're gonna tell me what I said isn't correct?

LazDude2012

Jul 29, 2019
You still have to ask Eloraam personally, Ash. And she's not an easy person to contact.

Basically she's saying that she'll say "no" unless you meet the criteria. You still must ask her.

Cozie

Jul 29, 2019
no if the assumption is correct you need to post on the thread ;-) not the same as contacting personaly

LazDude2012

Jul 29, 2019
You know what I mean though, you have to get a response from Eloraam herself. (That's what I meant by personally) In case you didn't notice, she will come on the forums about once every 2 months, sometimes less often than that.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
You still have to ask Eloraam personally, Ash. And she's not an easy person to contact.
Basically she's saying that she'll say "no" unless you meet the criteria. You still must ask her.
She's no more difficult to contact than anyone else. For you to reach out, and initiate contact with someone is extremely simple. I could contact the president if I wanted to. Real simple, send a letter.
She may not respond immediately. She's just busy, just as most of us adults are. (Save for myself, since I'm still waiting to hear back from a job offer)

retep998

NoLifeBunny
Wiki Staff
Dec 31, 2012
Worcester, Massachusetts
Another huge problem is that Eloraam hasn't even been on Minecraft Forums since August 4.
At the moment I'm currently stuck with providing a list of instructions on how to modify the Mindcrack pack just to play on my server, because I can't get permission for RedPower.
Pretty much everything else has permission, it's just RedPower which is a pain to get, so I'm stuck out in the cold.
Can any of the FTB higher ups who have a way to actually reach Eloraam PLEASE ask her to give general permission to FTB private packs?

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
You can take this as an official statement.

I talked to slow, until further notice, we are interpreting the somewhat ambiguously worded statement on elo's thread to mean that private packs have automatic permission.

Thorned Rose

Jul 29, 2019
Is it possible at this time (with permissions from mod authors of course) to get a private mod pack OK'd that would be used solely on a home network? (We play Minecraft as a family and it's freaking annoying having to set up mods and configs etc on different computers, and have thus far been using a very altered Mindcrack pack which has it's own difficulties.) Or is the private mod packs 'request/ok'd with code' only for private but online mod packs kinda thing? If that's the case, are there any plans in the works to allow for small scale home network only private packs in the future?

delicateglow

Jul 29, 2019
Is it possible at this time (with permissions from mod authors of course) to get a private mod pack OK'd that would be used solely on a home network? (We play Minecraft as a family and it's freaking annoying having to set up mods and configs etc on different computers, and have thus far been using a very altered Mindcrack pack which has it's own difficulties.) Or is the private mod packs 'request/ok'd with code' only for private but online mod packs kinda thing? If that's the case, are there any plans in the works to allow for small scale home network only private packs in the future?
I'm pretty sure there's no restriction on what type of private pack there can be (other than keeping it private and having permissions, of course)

Also, does anyone have a list of what mods authors say about their mods? It would make things so much easier.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
I'm pretty sure there's no restriction on what type of private pack there can be (other than keeping it private and having permissions, of course)

Also, does anyone have a list of what mods authors say about their mods? It would make things so much easier.
Cozie made a nice spreadsheet.

Reactions: Ashzification

kev12east

Jul 29, 2019
One thing it also boils down to is RESPECT. Do I respect these mod authors for their hard work? For giving me weeks upon weeks and beyond of enjoyment? For allowing me to meet some very awesome people? Why shouldn't I ask them. That list I put together, you know how long it took me to track all that information down, WHILE sick as a dog and on some strong meds? 15 minutes. You guys make it seem like it will take hours to track it down, but I had it done in 15 minutes. With going back and getting links it was longer, but well... that was an internal document only. So its done, so you spend 5 minutes writing up a C&P statement asking for permission and clicking links to ask, and bam wait for replies. So you waste what, ten maybe fifteen minutes initially until you hear back?

The whole, everything should be free, this community... well, I don't have much to judge it on to be fair. But it is someone elses work, and they have a right to protect it any way they see fit.
love the sg-1 quote in the signature!
(I know this has nothing to do with this forum post, no ill-will is meant)

kev12east

Jul 29, 2019
Ya. This is why I try not to get involved in discussions on whether mod packs, or hell, mods in general, are legal. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. I don't have the knowledge, or a reason, to really care.

But in this case, as Ash said, its really about respect. Which IMO, is an opinion. If you just want to play minecraft, which is a perfectly valid position and I don't respect someone any less who takes it, then you don't need to care. I am more in the middle of and have an opinion.

But most of this would probably be solved if at least one of the major mod authors says why he doesn't want his mod in a mod pack. Although I don't blame them if they don't.
mods are legall because Mojang has a)expressed an intrest in creating vanilla mod support b)hosted modders and Minecon therefore, modding is legall becuase Mojang, the owner of Minecraft, has not only expressed a wish for mods, but has partially endorsed them

Status
Not open for further replies.