Regarding Private Modpacks

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
Status
Not open for further replies.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
It's not stealing if everyone wins. :p
Ya. This is why I try not to get involved in discussions on whether mod packs, or hell, mods in general, are legal. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. I don't have the knowledge, or a reason, to really care.

But in this case, as Ash said, its really about respect. Which IMO, is an opinion. If you just want to play minecraft, which is a perfectly valid position and I don't respect someone any less who takes it, then you don't need to care. I am more in the middle of and have an opinion.

But most of this would probably be solved if at least one of the major mod authors says why he doesn't want his mod in a mod pack. Although I don't blame them if they don't.

Reactions: Ashzification

GreenWolf13

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't actually care, since MageCraft is licensed under an open source license. In fact, I'd actually be pretty pleased that someone else was interested enough to make their own version.

kylemcqueen75

Nov 4, 2012
To expand on this viewpoint:
[EVERYTHING FROM HERE ON OUT IS HYPOTHETICAL, NOT ACTUAL EVENTS]
Example 1: I own a server. I only want some mods on it, and I want it to be easy for my members to use and download. I do not get permission to make this private party modpack for my server. I have, lets say, a total of 50 players who are whitelisted on my server. I ban one of them. They get pissy and redistribute the modpack that I put together (without permission) so that all of their friends have it too.
A reason why I use ID Resolver, to use the Mod-Pack (From my Thread) on an offical Mod-Pack server (without having to fix all 1000 ID conflicts, while matching the IDs IDresolver sets) you must have the Id Resolver files generated by me :) (tho this doesnt fix the singleplayer issue, but hey only he/she can use it then :p).

Reactions: Ashzification

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't actually care, since MageCraft is licensed under an open source license. In fact, I'd actually be pretty pleased that someone else was interested enough to make their own version.
In my example, I wouldn't be making my own 'version'. I would be taking your idea, your hard work, finishing it, distributing it, without giving you any mention whatsoever.
Effectively taking everything you've put into the last several months and saying "No, this is mine, you didn't think of this, I did."

LazDude2012

Jul 29, 2019
Ash: Honestly, I wouldn't give a damn. It's not all my work, not even mostly. Glow and Zic are awesome. But I think in general, we wouldn't care. It's kinda like the formula for Coca-Cola. I know that formula. It's actually not that hard to find out. Heck, if I wanted to, I could whip up a batch and sell it. But I'd not get any money. I can't get the prices anywhere near Coke's level, and people want Coke anyway, because of brand loyalty. They wouldn't want "LazCola", they'd want Coke.

You could take JSTR, rename it, and put your name on it, and add your own stuff later. Your textures might be as good as ours, they might not, but we're "the real deal". People who want JSTR will be searching for JSTR. :p But, do what you will. We make these textures for our enjoyment, and don't much care what others do with them. (although credit is nice, and gives us warm, fuzzy feelings inside)

I'm actually coding a set of Minecraft mods too, and I'll be releasing them under the "Do whatever you want with this code" license.

GreenWolf13

Jul 29, 2019
In my example, I wouldn't be making my own 'version'. I would be taking your idea, your hard work, finishing it, distributing it, without giving you any mention whatsoever.
Effectively taking everything you've put into the last several months and saying "No, this is mine, you didn't think of this, I did."
I might be a little annoyed, but it wouldn't really affect me. At the most, I might send them a message saying "hey, it would be awesome if you gave me some credit, but if you don't, I'm okay with that."

Reactions: LazDude2012

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
I will now bow out of this conversation, as any further statements I make will likely result in someone being offended.

Enjoy the rest of your evenings.

GreenWolf13

Jul 29, 2019
I will now bow out of this conversation, as any further statements I make will likely result in someone being offended.

Enjoy the rest of your evenings.
So basically "I still believe in my opinion, and you still believe in your opinion, but I don't wish to continue this argument anymore as any further arguing will get us nowhere."

Enjoy your evening as well.

afa7336

Jul 29, 2019
Can someone name me one major mod, that is not a WIP that disallows mods in a private mod pack? There isn't one, that I know, not in my research. Sure you have to ask, but when/if you are 16 did you just take your parents car or did you have to ask?

LazDude2012

Jul 29, 2019
Heh, if I could conjure up, as if by magic, an exact copy of their car, they'd have had nothing to say on the matter. :p

kylemcqueen75

Nov 4, 2012
Can someone name me one major mod, that is not a WIP that disallows mods in a private mod pack? There isn't one, that I know, not in my research. Sure you have to ask, but when/if you are 16 did you just take your parents car or did you have to ask?
Optifine. I spoke with with Author trying to think of ways to make him allow me to use his mod. My friend helped me, and created a launcher for the mod-pack that would ask the player if he/she wanted Optifine and if so, it would show his adfly link for 5 seconds, then download the mod automatically. He denied this :I

GreenWolf13

Jul 29, 2019
Optifine. I spoke with with Author tring to think of ways to make him allow me to use his mod. My friend helped me, and created a launcher for the mod-pack that would ask the player if he/she wanted Optifine and if so, it would show his adfly link for 5 seconds, then download the mod automatically. He denied this :I
So he's saying you can't download his mod from the download link he provides? That's just... There are no words to describe how f***ed up and insanely stupid that is.

kylemcqueen75

Nov 4, 2012
So he's saying you can't download his mod from the download link he provides? That's just... There are no words to describe how f***ed up and insanely stupid that is.
He was worried that the launcher changed the files somehow, but then again he might just be tring to stick to the "No one can use it" bit, but thats his choise and its not a big deal to me...it was just an example. :p

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
This whole issue of respect is such bullshit. You can still respect people even if you don't ask them for permission to use their freely distributed download link.
Like many other English word, respect can mean different things.
I believe in this case it is referring to valuing their opinion on a matter over your own. Or something like that.

Cozie

Jul 29, 2019

Mods you will not get (easy) permission from: GravityGun, PortalGun, Redpower, IC² AdvancedMachines

Munaus

Jul 29, 2019
This whole issue of respect is such bullshit. You can still respect people even if you don't ask them for permission to use their freely distributed download link.
No, it is not.
The internet is a cruel highway.

If Azanor never visited youtube and searched the word "thaumcraft" to see the hundreds of videos that people put up, if he NEVER visited the forums to see all the pictures of ingenious ways that people utilize his mod, then he would NEVER have found out that people loved his work.
The only thing he would have gotten is a number of downloads and hundreds of letters of complaint that "shit no werk! Gosh! fix this shit!"

But what you guys are talking about now, is piracy. I don't wish to take any part in that discussion, it is too ironic. The most famous piracy site that comes from the very country that Minecraft comes from...

I am still waiting for a modder to join in this discussion. My question still stands...

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Does a person ever know you love them if you never tell them?
Would you continue to do kind acts if you were never thanked?
Does a dying family member know you care, if you never tell them?
Do people really know you care about them if you never give them the time of day?

Respect is not implied. No one is going to know you respect them if you do not tell them. Even a simple "I would like to use 'x' for this modpack" is telling them "I respect your wishes". How is it telling them you respect them? You asked first.

Incorrect. See: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/365357-125-eloraams-mods-redpower-2-prerelease-5b2/
Mod Compilation Policy
Due to the alarming number of new modpacks wanting to include RedPower lately,
and my inability to possibly evaluate and answer everyone asking, I've decided
to cut way back on allowing it.

Here's the deal:
- Established modpacks or private server packs only. If your post
count is below 100, and your modpack is less than a month old, I'll just say
no. A "private server pack" refers to a modpack intended to be used by a
closed membership Minecraft server and distributed only to those members.
- You must have my permission. Post on this thread.
- Proper credit and attribution. "RedPower by Eloraam", with a link to this thread, is a suitable example.
- Non-commercial, non-profit mod packs only. If you're going to bundle my mod, you can't use adf.ly or similar for the compilation pack. I'm OK with giving my work away, but not having someone else profit from it.

Many of the major mods that want people to ask permission, have things such as this on their MCF posts. All it takes is a little bit of effort to find. You may have to make a post on their thread, what's the big deal? That's pretty darn easy. It's not like they're demanding anything outrageous.

Cozie

Jul 29, 2019
Does a person ever know you love them if you never tell them?
Would you continue to do kind acts if you were never thanked?
Does a dying family member know you care, if you never tell them?
Do people really know you care about them if you never give them the time of day?

Respect is not implied. No one is going to know you respect them if you do not tell them. Even a simple "I would like to use 'x' for this modpack" is telling them "I respect your wishes". How is it telling them you respect them? You asked first.

Incorrect. See: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/365357-125-eloraams-mods-redpower-2-prerelease-5b2/

Many of the major mods that want people to ask permission, have things such as this on their MCF posts. All it takes is a little bit of effort to find. You may have to make a post on their thread, what's the big deal? That's pretty darn easy. It's not like they're demanding anything outrageous.

Thx Ash, I'll adjust the spreadsheet, nice find :)
And yes many have things like that, all teir own version tho and no, not all easy to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.