Regarding Private Modpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezekielelin

Jul 29, 2019
My server has some people who for the life of them can't install mods, but love playing with them. I don't want to have to help them install mods every_single_time something updates, and would love to use this functionality for my server. My server is private, and I wanted to know how this setup works with private modpacks, which require fewer permissions.

Thanks for reading!

kylemcqueen75

Nov 4, 2012
You could use MultiMC and tell your players to download an Instance you make and use MultiMC to run your "mod-pack" for your server. Using FTB for private mod-packs is about the same thing if I am not mistaken, but MultiMC would be a simpler road to take.

gragrayson

Jul 29, 2019
yes but they would need permission to distribute the mods in the pack even if its a private server with a whitelist and a private pack and all it will need the permission for all the mods that the said pack has

Killerrabbit

Jul 29, 2019
Correct me if I'm wrong, but legally you don't need anyone's permission to distribute a mod pack since it's built to extend Mojangs code anyway?

Reactions: Vaupell

Belone

Jul 29, 2019
Correct me if I'm wrong, but legally you don't need anyone's permission to distribute a mod pack since it's built to extend Mojangs code anyway?

It's been discussed elsewhere on here quite a bit, but it hinges on Intellectual Property laws, which to be honest differ from country to country. To be honest it's a bit of a gray area, most of these laws were written long before the PC even existed, let alone gaming and modding. It mostly comes down to respect rather than legality, as I don't think really most of this would hold up in a court of law as actually proving a loss of earning or image would be difficult if not impossible when it comes to mods.

A good rule of thumb is always check what permissions the mod-author gives, query any ambiguous rules with the mod-author and only publish if they are actually happy.

Killerrabbit

Jul 29, 2019
True that, and as long as you keep to your own white listed server without advertising and such I doubt not even the most reserved mod maker would mind though...

gragrayson

Jul 29, 2019
This is from the terms and conditions on minecraft.net
but in short it says anything like mods or texturepacks that you make is rightfully yours and you can choose weather to distribute it yourself or let others distribute it

You can see the full Terms and Conditions HERE
If you've bought the game, you may play around with it and modify it. We'd appreciate it if you didn't use this for griefing, though, and remember not to distribute the changed versions of our software. Basically, mods (or plugins, or tools) are cool (you can distribute those), hacked versions of the Minecraft client or server are not (you can't distribute those).
Any tools you write for the game from scratch belongs to you. Other than commercial use (unless specifically authorized by us in ourbrand and assets usage guidelines- for instance you are allowed to put ads on your YouTube videos containing Minecraft footage), you're free to do whatever you want with screenshots and videos of the game, but don't just rip art resources and pass them around, that's no fun. Plugins for the game also belong to you and you can do whatever you want with them, as long as you don't sell them for money. We reserve the final say regarding what constitutes a tool/plugin and what doesn't.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
As far as mod packs in the FTB launcher go, the legality is irrelevant. We have built FTB around support from the mod authors and will not distribute a mod against the will of the author.

GreenWolf13

Jul 29, 2019
If you just want to make a private server pack, you could use the custom zip feature of the technic launcher.

kylemcqueen75

Nov 4, 2012
This is from the terms and conditions on minecraft.net
but in short it says anything like mods or texturepacks that you make is rightfully yours and you can choose weather to distribute it yourself or let others distribute it

You can see the full Terms and Conditions HERE
If you've bought the game, you may play around with it and modify it. We'd appreciate it if you didn't use this for griefing, though, and remember not to distribute the changed versions of our software. Basically, mods (or plugins, or tools) are cool (you can distribute those), hacked versions of the Minecraft client or server are not (you can't distribute those).
Any tools you write for the game from scratch belongs to you. Other than commercial use (unless specifically authorized by us in ourbrand and assets usage guidelines- for instance you are allowed to put ads on your YouTube videos containing Minecraft footage), you're free to do whatever you want with screenshots and videos of the game, but don't just rip art resources and pass them around, that's no fun. Plugins for the game also belong to you and you can do whatever you want with them, as long as you don't sell them for money. We reserve the final say regarding what constitutes a tool/plugin and what doesn't.
I support getting permission before mass distributing a mod-pack, but for something so private...I don't see any real problems. Even if lets say FTB didn't focus on permissions as they do, there is nothing the mod authors can do to stop them...(Take Optifine being in Tekkit/Technic for so long with-out permission). but anyway :p

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
See, this is what technic does. It takes a good idea, and just throws it out there with no regard to the mod authors. Then, when the mod authors find an offending pack, they have to go out of their way to get it taken down.

Edit: This is not entirely clear on what my intention is, im not trying to flame tekkit, read my post further down for a better explanation

Necr0maNceR

Jul 29, 2019
I believe private servers have the right to use whatever mods they choose without needing to ask for permission, same as how individual players don't need to ask permission to download mods for personal use. Of course, the private pack feature isn't exactly the same thing. Even if the intent and purpose of it is for private servers, you are still making a modpack, and it is still being distributed through the FTB launcher. Anyone who's given the code can download the modpack whether they are part of a private server or not. Someone could even go so far as to make their own modpack, then claim it is for a private server and attempt to distribute it en masse through the FTB launcher. Hence, the need for permissions. I wish the private modpack function was simply a way to make it easier for a group of friends to download the mods for their private server without having to install them all individually, and without the need to ask for permission since the modpack is only being used on that server and not distributed elsewhere. Of course, as I said, the need for permissions is due to the fact that people can break the rules and attempt to distribute private modpacks, and due to the fact that a private modpack IS still technically a mod pack, and it is being distributed through the FTB launcher. For those reasons, the need for permissions is necessary, and makes sense.

Of course, asking for permissions is in and of itself not a big deal. The only issue is when a mod author says no due to them only allowing their mod in certain modpacks or no modpacks, private or otherwise. Fortunately, this happens rarely. Even then, private servers can have their members download the last one or two mods they were missing and then install them with the FTB launcher, so they can still play with them whether they have permission or not. As a matter of fact, many servers already just use modified versions of FTB packs, where they take out and/or add anywhere from several, to many mods, effectively making their own private modpacks. This leads me to wonder what the permission system for private modpacks is actually protecting. Does the slight difficulty of having to use a code AND individually install one or two mods, instead of just using the code, really make that much difference?

Greevir

Jul 29, 2019
Even though I hate the implementation of the private mod pack system FTB has in place (mainly because it's something I would really love to use but will never be able to get all the permissions I want) I accept it. FTB is their baby and it is completely up to them on how to raise it.

LazDude2012

Jul 29, 2019
See, this is what technic does. It takes a good idea, and just throws it out there with no regard to the mod authors. Then, when the mod authors find an offending pack, they have to go out of their way to get it taken down.
And what, might I ask, is wrong with Technic's Custom Zip feature? :)

GreenWolf13

Jul 29, 2019
The custom zip feature is designed for private server packs, which don't need permissions. Heck, you could say it is meant to be used to make modpacks in general, and that it's your choice whether you get permissions or not. They made a product, but they can't control what people do with it. It's up to the individual private pack makers to get permissions if they think they need them. Blaming it on the technic team is like blaming the makers of a programming language for computer viruses.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Ok, here goes.
I think that ANY free software should be freely distributed. In the context of mods, I certainly think that it should. Some modpacks, not pointing at tekkit, have a bad reputation, but even they can only make more people want to play minecraft, and thence minecraft mods. I can't see a single really good reason why this would not help a mods reputation.

HOWEVER, my opinion doesn't matter. The mod authors do. If they say they don't want their mod in modpacks, I am not going to go against their wishes and do it anyway. This is the whole principle FTB is based on. Respect the mod authors.

The main reason in the past that the majority of minecrafters didn't play with mods is that, for the less technically inclined user, they were hard to install. Even more so when you started stacking them on top of each other. Mod packs try to change that, they try to make it as easy to play with the mods as it is to play with vanilla minecraft.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but tekkit was, by far, the first major mod pack. Tekkit was what made it really easy to install and play with a bunch of mods. But they did kind of alienate some of the major modders by not first asking permission to use the mods, in their small mod pack. They then grew to have a huge userbase, and still didn't get permission from all the modders. (see Forestry)

Now, in answer to GreenWolf's post, tekkit didn't do anything directly wrong. Like I said, it IS a great idea. But they did it in such a way that it was obvious that anyone could make a mod pack and easily distribute it, without getting specific permission for each mod. Although FTB is still working it out, their private packs are designed so that you have to get permission.

Bottom line, tekkit does something and deals with the consequences. FTB asks the modders first and respects their wishes. It's not a fight, neither way is against the law.(not debating that) Just pick which one you want to support.

Note1: And I'll just say here, I don't dislike tekkit, I might not agree with some of their policies, but I think they were a great thing for the modding community. If they went FTB's path, maybe things would be different, but I'm not going to deny the attention they brought to mods.
Note2: The disclaimer in my sig applies, this is completely my opinion and does not reflect the opinion of the FTB team.
Note3: I know I just went and wrote a big post about it, but honestly, fighting over the issue doesn't solve anything. Pick one and use it. (or both if you don't care about the politics)

afa7336

Jul 29, 2019
One thing it also boils down to is RESPECT. Do I respect these mod authors for their hard work? For giving me weeks upon weeks and beyond of enjoyment? For allowing me to meet some very awesome people? Why shouldn't I ask them. That list I put together, you know how long it took me to track all that information down, WHILE sick as a dog and on some strong meds? 15 minutes. You guys make it seem like it will take hours to track it down, but I had it done in 15 minutes. With going back and getting links it was longer, but well... that was an internal document only. So its done, so you spend 5 minutes writing up a C&P statement asking for permission and clicking links to ask, and bam wait for replies. So you waste what, ten maybe fifteen minutes initially until you hear back?

The whole, everything should be free, this community... well, I don't have much to judge it on to be fair. But it is someone elses work, and they have a right to protect it any way they see fit.

thea30n

Jul 29, 2019
This is such a dangerous grounds to tread upon...
I'm gonna leave a quote from the ebil technic, which I found... interesting.

That's all I have to say about that... *takes a chocolate from the box and eats it*

I hope he doesn't mind me quoting him... perhaps I should have asked him for permission...
Enh, I quoted him before he denied, whatever.
Ok, here goes.
I think that ANY free software should be freely distributed. In the context of mods, I certainly think that it should. Some modpacks, not pointing at tekkit, have a bad reputation, but even they can only make more people want to play minecraft, and thence minecraft mods. I can't see a single really good reason why this would not help a mods reputation.

HOWEVER, my opinion doesn't matter. The mod authors do. If they say they don't want their mod in modpacks, I am not going to go against their wishes and do it anyway. This is the whole principle FTB is based on. Respect the mod authors.

The main reason in the past that the majority of minecrafters didn't play with mods is that, for the less technically inclined user, they were hard to install. Even more so when you started stacking them on top of each other. Mod packs try to change that, they try to make it as easy to play with the mods as it is to play with vanilla minecraft.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but tekkit was, by far, the first major mod pack. Tekkit was what made it really easy to install and play with a bunch of mods. But they did kind of alienate some of the major modders by not first asking permission to use the mods, in their small mod pack. They then grew to have a huge userbase, and still didn't get permission from all the modders. (see Forestry)

Now, in answer to GreenWolf's post, tekkit didn't do anything directly wrong. Like I said, it IS a great idea. But they did it in such a way that it was obvious that anyone could make a mod pack and easily distribute it, without getting specific permission for each mod. Although FTB is still working it out, their private packs are designed so that you have to get permission.

Bottom line, tekkit does something and deals with the consequences. FTB asks the modders first and respects their wishes. It's not a fight, neither way is against the law.(not debating that) Just pick which one you want to support.

Note1: And I'll just say here, I don't dislike tekkit, I might not agree with some of their policies, but I think they were a great thing for the modding community. If they went FTB's path, maybe things would be different, but I'm not going to deny the attention they brought to mods.
Note2: The disclaimer in my sig applies, this is completely my opinion and does not reflect the opinion of the FTB team.
Note3: I know I just went and wrote a big post about it, but honestly, fighting over the issue doesn't solve anything. Pick one and use it. (or both if you don't care about the politics)
Well said. Just well said.

LazDude2012

Jul 29, 2019
BTW, Watchful11, honestly, Technic's method of doing it was on par with how most people did it previously. A link to a MultiMC instance, distributed to the users. Why is it suddenly bad when done through a launcher that's not MultiMC?
(And remember, private packs don't need permission any more than you downloading it for personal use does)

Reactions: Deimos56
Status
Not open for further replies.