Refugee to regent challenge pack [WIP][HQM]

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
You upped the node occurence? Interesting.
Lots of disabled version checking (good)
I think I'll look more into the actual changes later, beyond the ores (ttcore's change. YES SO MUCH YES)

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Because you removed the mod but you did not clean out the config directory and the Magical Crops config was still in there?

Don't diss the cleaning staff for how they clean the room, yo!

:)

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
The config changes shown are entirely based around the fact that (1) other mods already drop "sheep meat" and "squid meat", and (2) hunger overhaul removes seed drops from grass.

The fact that Magical Crops isn't present is totally fine with me. Just remove the configs for mods we don't use from the config folder so people like me don't waste time trying to "make it work" with everything else and we'll be peachy! :p

I don't like Magical Crops, remember?

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Oops, missed some config tweaks on OreGen:

Tinker's Construct
tinkersconstruct.cfg
B:"Enable the Tinkers Villager to trade for oreberries"=false
B:"Generate Copper"=false
B:"Generate Copper Bushes"=false
B:"Generate Essence Bushes"=true
B:"Generate Gold Bushes"=false
B:"Generate Iron Bushes"=false
B:"Generate Surface Copper"=false
B:"Generate Surface Gold"=false
B:"Generate Surface Iron"=false
B:"Generate Surface Tin"=false
B:"Generate Tin"=false
B:"Generate Tin Bushes"=false​

Technically, I didn't change the Essence Bushes config, I was just re-stating that it is to be left on, not turned off.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
On to more "just my personal preference" tweaks... Even more so than the prior post.

Added Mods
CustomNPCs - Almost a given for R2R Challenge but still optional
DenseOres - Optional but a nice bonus without being too OP
EnderStorage - Not sure why this wasn't in original list
ExtraTiC - Adds support for Natura and AE into Tinker's Construct
Fastcraft - Performance enhancer, like the blue pill but cheaper
FastLeafDecay - Optional for people who like watching paint dry
Iguana Tinker Tweaks - Tool leveling. Less drudgery
Improving Minecraft - Changes a few mechanics without going overboard
Infinibows - Infinite arrows for Infinity enchant. The way it SHOULD work
MineTweaker3 - Fix incompatible stuff
NetherOres - Less boring nether, pissed off Pigmen
Optifine - Optional performance enhancer, not as good as the blue pill
Steve's Factory Manager - Because reasons
Steve's Workshop - Workbenches and Furnaces on steroids, sorta
Thaumcraft NEI Plugin - Kinda really should have always been included
Translocator - Why not?
Twilight Forest - Another dimension without going total Mystcraft​

Mods Removed
Obsidiplates - Obviated by Carpenter's Blocks​

Mods Upgraded
Tinker's Construct to v1.8.2a​

Config Changes
Iguana Tinker Tweaks
main.cfg
I:BonusesAtLevels <
10​
>
I:ModifiersAtLevels <
10​
>
I:maxToolLevel=10
B:allowStencilReuse=true
B:disableRegularHoes=true
B:removeFlintDrop=false​

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
I had to remove (temporarily) Technomancy due to a Forge mod sorting loop. Hopefully the 1.8.2 release of Technomancy (when it arrives) will fix it.

Here is a screenshot of the current pack (with my tweaks) just after worldgen settled down a bit. Original image is 1920x1053, I scaled it down to make the image less large. This is at a render distance setting of 12, with FPS limiting turned off.

I have shaders disabled because most people don't use them and I wanted to give a fair comparison. When I play, I re-add the shaders which drops my framerate a bit.

Not that it should make much difference, but this is running under Java 8 x64, update 31.

xOQZ9p9.png

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Hmm. Five Natura Redwood trees on the screen at the same time is a bit much. I wish I could tone down their frequency without disabling them completely.

tooncool64

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, that's a lot of stuff.
1. I will remove the Magical crops configs. Sorry!
2. I will make if not all, most of the config changes, they look pretty good.
3. I will do that TiCon stuff.
4. I will update technomancy. Sorry about that guys!
5.adding custom NPC's Maybe.
6. Adding denseores
7. Adding enderstorage
8. Adding extraTiC
9. Fast craft is a little weird with permissions. I will see what I can do
10. Fast leaf decay added
11. ITT yes!
12. Improving minecraft is nice!
13. Adding infinibows
14. Is there any conflicting recipes? If not, I don't see a need to add it now
15. Netherores sure!
16. Cant add optifine :(
17. SFM and SW are in
18. I had to get the permission -_-. I will add it in the next update
19. Translocator ok
20. Sure, why not twilight forest.
21. Ok I will add the config changes.
CHeers,

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
They don't spawn as default NPCs, no.

They're strictly used to add flavor to Challenge worlds as rewards for completing stages and building shelters for them.

For example, when you build an extra house for more population, you add a generic 'does nothing but wander around the house' villager. When you build your militia and provide the gear, you can 'recruit' a villager to become a guard. Give him the gear, set the role to guard and give him a path to patrol.

When you build shops, relocate appropriate villagers to the shops and tell them to stay put. If you want to get creative, you can script the villager to go to the shop at sunrise and hang out, then go home at sunset.

You can designate some of your villagers as Elders (as per the Challenge) and then assign other villagers to 'guard' that villager while he wanders around, thereby providing bodyguards for your officials.

It is all a matter of how much 'RP' you want to invest. They don't actually do much that significantly changes your gameplay apart from the guards, but they add a lot of flavor to your world -- Especially when your other option is either dealing with Vanilla 'squidward' villagers or the MCA variant where you go the 'child labor' route.

Helpful Villagers, if the guy could ever get it stabilized and get the pathing to work a little cleaner, could be functional - but in my opinion it is getting the villagers to do all your work for you, farming, mining, tree-cutting, crafting, guarding. I prefer the CustomNPCs route myself.

Take a peek at @VaalDeth or @The Mobius Archives Let's Play videos on YouTube. Both utilize the villagers pretty well I think, though I'm pretty sure VaalDeth caught onto the villager before Mobius did. On the flip side, Vaal doesn't have "Tea Shoppes". :)

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
disableRegularHoes for Tinker's Tweaks should actually be false. You can't make a wooden mattock out of the gate, it's a t2 tool forge only isn't it? In any case, that's bound to confuse people.

I would set the dungeon chest frequencies of the railcraft items to this, personally. I find dungeon chests to be entirely too cluttered (there's a reason TooMuchLoot is in all my instances)
RailCraft
railcraft.cfg
I:armor.overalls=0
I:creosote.bottle=0
I:fuel.coal=0
I:fuel.coke=0
I:steel.ingot=5
I:tie.stone=0
I:tie.wood=0
I:tool.crowbar=0
I:track.basic=10

Also for Natura, I would suggest (Natura.cfg)
B:"Generate Dark Clouds"=false

Unless your mod is generating "asteroids" of end stone like gregtech, or is named Hardcore Ender Expansion... end generation outside the island is muchly bad juju in my opinion.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
The mattock is not T2. You can make it right out of the gate with 2 flint and a stick. Just re-tested it to make sure.

This entry:
B:"Remove Vanilla Tool Effectiveness"=true

Makes
B:disableRegularHoes=true

kind of irrelevant. I have the effectiveness of non-weapon tools nerfed to direct people into TiCo, rather than using vanilla as a crutch. This way you can still craft the vanilla stuff for recipes that require them, but everything has a durability of 1.

2 flint + 1 stick can't really be THAT much harder than 2 planks + 2 sticks, can it? :D

I also left random flint drops enabled in addition to the crafting recipe to ensure people wouldn't be flint-starved at start.

As for clouds, I'm cool with that. I don't particularly like any of them, but I'm trying to suggest tweaks that would appeal to a larger audience.

I'd much rather see people propose ideas and have them discussed before getting pushed into a patch. That way we can collectively consider how it will affect game-play before people commit time to their worlds and then get hosed because an ill-considered change was made.

I'd really like to see a better oregen option. I'm not thrilled with the one I'm using. I think it's semi-balanced with most ores, but aluminum (even with the oreberries and gravel still turned on) seems too scarce. Maybe I'm just having rotten luck. I'm not quarrying at the moment, so it could be I'm just missing it.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
Woo! Didn't know this was around. I saw stuff on the main thread about this or that mod, but didn't know how it was around.

This thread is linked in the OP of the main thread as the "unofficially official mod pack" :p

now the question is:

can my craptop run this? :p

may have to take some stuff out.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
heh. thanks for going through config hell.

Way early on I tried to do this--got fed up with the configs. though it sounds like there are better pack-making tools these days lol

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
There certainly are, and there's at least a couple of people who know entirely too much about this stuff and are willing to dig through tens of thousands of lines in config files :p

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
I've always wanted to try this challenge but lacked the self discipline. This pack is a great idea, can't wait to give it a go.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
1000 views, 120 posts, no new HQM quests yet...

...slacker! :)

Edit: Seriously, the HQM quests alone are going to be way more work than everything we tweak in the configs.

If you want to do that solo, that's cool. Just reminding you that it's not trivial.