Refugee to regent challenge pack [WIP][HQM]

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry I've been neglecting my beta testing duties the past couple of days. Let's start off with a look at the mod list.
AppleCore is a great choice, even if it wasn't required for Hunger Overhaul. With HO, it makes those changes to the food system much more visible and playable.
AromaBackup is a good idea in any pack. Auto-backups save so many problems!
Auto-packager. I used to have some reservations about this one, but the new 3x3 hollow mode sold me.
Bagginses. I'm pretty sure I voiced my opinion on this one. I've never been one to appreciate limited inventory bags without some additional features to compensate. Take a look at Iron Backpacks, it's very configurable, focused on low-lag, and has upgrades that add a lot of functionality.
BD-Lib: You currently have no mods that require this (Gendustry, Pressure Pipes, or Advanced Generators). Unlike some of the other core/library mods, as far as I'm aware this one doesn't do anything by itself. Admittedly I'm a big fan of Gendustry and Pressure pipes, so if one of them gets added, this mod will be required again; but with the current pack it's not :)
Bibliocraft. Awesome, lightweight. You've got the addons for the two mods that you have in the pack as well.
Binnies Mods. Normally I'd be all for it. But in light of the performance issues that have come from the 1.7 update, and the changes making the genetics manipulation tedious beyond belief? My suggestion would be to switch it for Gendustry. If you want help creating the extra bees lines, I'm sure there's more than a couple of people in the R2R thread (or Reddit) that would be of great assistance on that front.
Blood Magic. YAY! I do love me some blood magic. Have you seen its addons? Sanguimancy, Blood Arsenal, and Sanguine Utilities? (Yes I know there's a Wasliebob addon. I never recommend his work.)
Botania. So much yes. It's useful from the early game to the late game, Vazkii is an awesome mod author, I can't gush effusively enough.
Buildcraft. My suggestion would be to upgrade to 6.3.2 for both being in the 6.3 branch, and for the ability to use Logistics Pipes.
ChickenChunks. There's a reason my 1.7 transition waited until CB came out with a dev build of this. It doesn't require fuel (which is a "balance" decision I detest), it can be set to only work when the owner is online, it's easily configurable, and it seems to be the only chunk loader that actually works on frames. I've alerted Immibis to the issues with dimensional anchors, but unless you plan on using more of his mods, I'd say stick with CB's loaders.
Chisel - Awesome aesthetic mod. You should consider updating to Chisel 2 though. Also a benefit to updating into the 6.3.x branch of BC? ChiselFacades is unneccesary! Even though you don't have it in the pack, hehe.
EnderIO - My go-to tech mod in 1.7. For many reasons, not the least of which is it's got solutions for a lot of things that would have required MFR before, and my single favorite feature All The Pipes In One Block!
Extra Utilities: Yes
FlatSigns. I have never seen someone use this except for one time making a door-mat. But it's tiny so meh.
Forestry. Not a fan of the multifarm direction, but hey; Bees make it worth it in my opinion.
HQM. It's an HQM pack. Enough said.
Hunger Overhaul. The defaults nearly always require some tweaking. Sensei and I have some experience playing with the mod, and depending on how difficult you want this to be will determine how a lot of the options should probably be set.
IC2-EXP. Ah IC2... how I miss the old you. I'm so sad that Player took it in the Greggy tedium=fun direction. It does provide some options that other tech mods don't... but honestly I'd consider using another mod or two in its place. Especially without any of the IC2 addons.
INPureCore - NEI Culling is AWESOME!
Inventory Tweaks - My old friend :D
Iron Chests. Have you considered Iron Chest Minecarts as an addon?
JABBA. Mmm Jabba.
Magical Crops. As much as I liked the mod in the past, the current paywall-esque behavior revolving around the author's Patreon has soured me on the mod a bit. Consider AgriCraft or Fluxed Crystals as a replacement, with Pam's Mob Drop Crops and/or Attained Drops to fill in the gap?
Magic Bees. Heck yes.
MineMenu... great if you're running into keybinding issues. Not so much otherwise, but as far as I know has no performance impact, so there's no harm keeping it :)
Natura. I'm of two minds about Natura without Spice of Life. Once you get a berry farm up and going? You probably never have to eat anything else ever again. The things grow like weeds! But the rest of the mod is awesome. I love making "tree forts" in the redwoods. Oh one thing you may want to consider is the removal of clouds from at least the end and overworld. There's a lot of (minor) things that they break. Mostly maps/minimaps, but I find them to be more annoying than anything else.
NEI, and addons, etc. Needs more addons :p Seriously though, Thaumcraft NEI Plugin, NEI Integration, BuildCraft Compat. There's no such thing as too many NEI plugins as far as I'm concerned.
Obsidiplates. If you plan on adding carpenter's blocks? This functionality is completely replicated in a much easier manner by the Carpenter's Pressure Plate.
Project Red. Why did you only use Base? That adds all the basic components, but nothing to use them on.
Railcraft. Yay rails! This is likely to be a lot of people's workhorse transportation mod because of the late-in-challenge nature of most of the other methods. Plus the boilers are awesome!
Redstone Arsenal. This will probably be very late-game if Maul ever gets to refining the stages past gold, It's also rather easy to make the armor completely insane as compared to the strength of the rest of the gear. Then again it's got the battle
Simply Jetpacks. Thumbs up here. RF jetpacks? AWEOSME!
SolarFlux. I've never played with it in a legit world because it seemed OP somehow... which is odd because I liked solar power in IC/IC2. Can someone that's actually used it before weigh in on the relative power vs cost of this as opposed to say Extra Utilities Generators?
Steve's Carts. Yay! More making use of the rails. It's pretty under-utilized now for some reason, but it's a very nice mod... especially if you can leave your serve on overnight while the cart builds :p
StorageDrawers. I really liked the concept but I kept forgetting to use them in my world. Do try to keep this mod in, it'd be amazing for people that can actually do thematic builds (which so isn't me)
Super Crafting Frame. SOMEONE ELSE USES THIS! I want to hug you right now.
Tinker's Construct. Before Boni took over I probably would have passed over this in favor of other mods. Very little it adds was really impressive any more. Then Boni added ranged weapons. I'm in love all over again! The main reason I was contemplating taking it out was because EVERYONE uses tinkers tools as their main tools. I mean so many mods add such interesting tools, and they all get ignored because Tinker's. Then the bows/crossbows/shuriken got added... and they are my favorite ranged weapons by far. Utterly overpowered compared to anything else, and I. Don't. Care!
Thaumcraft and Thaumic Exploration. I'd love to know the thought process behind only those two, and if you're planning on Automagy, Thaumic Tinkerer, Forbidden Magic, Technomancy, Nodal Mechanics, Thaumcraft Gates, Thaumic Pipes, or Thaumcraft Mob Aspects.
Thermal Expansion. Good choice.
TiCTooltips. I can't play TiCo without it anymore. The books don't cut it (They're perpetually out of date)
Tinker's Mechworks. Yay! A wireless redstone mechanic AND drawbridges!
Waila. I can't understand how anyone plays without this. Really. Though I might suggest WAWLA over Waila Harvestability. Also WAILA Plugins, don't forget that. Though when you do, you'll require ttcore. Turn off the superDuperFunMode in the config, please. The fireworks on achievement get are amazingly obnoxious.

Reactions: Senseidragon

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Overall it's a good pack (needs config work, but that's what beta testers are for). There's only a couple of mods that I would remove or replace (usually because of lag).

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
I have to agree with @TomeWyrm on just about all mod points. I did actually already replace a couple mods:

I put in AgriCraft and removed Magical Crops -- I just can't get behind that one no matter how many times I try. The mechanic for making essences and seeds just gets to such an exorbitant number it becomes silly. I've fiddled with it time and again, and I simply just prefer replacing it with agricraft/growthcraft/harvestcraft or some combo of those.

I added Improving Minecraft merely because I personally like the changes it makes. The "wild" animals take some getting used to, but it is very "better beginnings"-like in getting any sort of animal farming going on. It also gets rid of that (IMO) grindy bonemeal change.

I added Steve's Factory Manager for later-game automation. Some people hate it. I'm not one of them. :)

I replaced Bagginses (never liked, for much the same reason as TomeWyrm stated) with Iron Backpacks. I think the upgrade system built into that is pretty clever.

I normally go with Random Things, but primarily for the Fast Leaf Decay and Hardcore Darkness. Since I'm ambivalent about the darkness and my daughter hates it, I ditched Random Things and just use Fast Leaf Decay instead.

I use the InGameInfoXML mod from @Lunatrius for a nice HUD that gives a clock/biome display/light meter that I find useful more often than not. I do generally edit the XML to remove my name from the top center of the display though. That seems rather pointless to me.

Added Morpheus as I do to all my multiplayer servers. Trying to coordinate people to sleep through the night gets obnoxious otherwise. In purely SSP games, it's completely useless.

Added Roguelike Dungeons (I like it) and Ruins (got better than I remembered - hated those hot air balloons!) as well as Recurrent Complex -- though I may remove RC if I have to keep manually looking up and blacklisting some of the more obnoxious structures in the mod. Whoever thought those Air Shrines would be a good idea should be dragged out into the street and molested by a rabid platypus.

The last three add quite a bit of reason to explore aside from the occasional desert temple, abandoned mineshaft, or exceedingly rare and randomly (badly) put-together stronghold that vanilla minecraft gives you.

tooncool64

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, thanks! I was going to work on the update today so thank you! I read the whole thing.
BTW, what is WAWLA?
Cheers,

tooncool64

Jul 29, 2019
Version 1.0.2
-Edited botania config
-Added pams harvestcraft
-Added spice of life
-Removed bagginses
-Added iron backpacks
-Added Saguimancy
-Downdated buildcraft to 6.3.2 so I can use logistics pipes.
-Added logistics pipes
-Removed chisel
-Added chisel2
-Added ironchestminecarts
-Removed magical crops
-Added agricraft
-Added ttcore and waila plugins
-Removed waila harvestibility
-Added WAWLA
-Added TT
-Added forbidden magic
-Added technomancy
This update should be up tommarow
If there is something didnt add I will probably add it in another update.

Last edited:

tooncool64

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys. I might not push the update until tomarrow. I still pretty sick and really tired.
Cheers,

ZephyrWindSpirit

Jul 29, 2019
I'd like to test out your pack. I gave the refugee to regent challenge back in Resonant Rise, and enjoyed it. I'd love to join you all!
Username: ZephyrWindSpirit

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
*pout* no Automagy? (Kidding, mostly. That redcrystal stuff for anyone that likes compact redstone is AMAZING, and the latest update added something very similar to the LogPipes Remote Orderer+ender chest combo)

As you likely found out because it's in the pack's nect update, WAWLA is a waila plugin that exposes a whole truckload of information for the Waila tooltip to use. Things like amount of burn time left in a vanilla furnace to the jump height of a horse. It also happens to have a harvestability thing that I found to be more accurate than Waila Harvestability. Less compact though, which is a tad annoying, but I always prefer accurate information to succinct.

Much like Sensei, I would personally add Steve's Factory Manager. It may be programming (flowchart programming is the easiest kind though), but it makes possible things that are flat-out impossible with any other mod. It also makes things that would normally take a HUGE contraption and compacts them down to a few blocks. I personally try to avoid using it most of the time in favor of more "engineered" solutions, but sometimes you just need raw capability :)

The ore configs would be in each mod's config files... odds are you're going to want to use COFH for your main ore gen, with any mods that don't add a COFH ore taking care of their own (COFH is perfectly capable of doing that itself, but unless you're pretty experienced with json, I'd personally avoid trying. It's about as user-friendly as they could make customizable worldgen, but that doesn't make it a walk in the park either.)

I'll be using "Tell Me" to do basically what Sensei did with the quarry and barrels, except faster. Which will also enable me to tell you which mods have overlapping ore gen!

When I finally finish commenting on my own personal mod list, I'll post that too. Honestly though I'd need to re-read the challenge some to see if there's something more R2R-ish that could be added. You've got a pretty darn capable pack right now.

tooncool64

Jul 29, 2019
:D Thanks! In the nest update I will be adding the custom oregen. Maybe before I push the update i will add steves factory manager. And about automagy, i will get that permission and add it in the next update. And @ZephyrWindSpirit, pming you the code now!

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
waiting for the update to hit the launcher while I work on a refactoring of my mod...