Redpower 2 future in FTB?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
Seriously a set of standards for making something for free? Ummmm okay. No thank you.

Absolutely. Because it's free means that quality is not an issue?
"Wow, that mod sucks. It's full of bugs that corrupted my world save."
"Quit complaining, it was free."

No, sorry. That doesn't fly at all.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
This is my exact point. It's only been a month, I'm not saying slap Elo in chains and get her to update RP or be dropped. I'm saying that there needs to be a set of standards each mod author must uphold so that FTB can maintain a certain level of quality of service.

You get to assign quality of service standards for things you pay for. Nothing else.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
How about checking out the thread where the mod is posted. Checking with friends whom use mods and see if a mod is worth getting. If it is bad then it won't be used anymore. Maybe it is just taking a breath and seeing that maybe the mod author works in a specific way. As in quality as best they can.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Volcanoes and marble are the most important part of RP2.

Until and unless they start working with Immibis microblocks, or RP microblocks start working with everything else in the modded game, then they're just bad choices to build from. (Note that the latter condition is equivalent to "never")

I should know. I have a multilevel basalt factory.

southernfriedbb

Jul 29, 2019
Seriously a set of standards for making something for free? Ummmm okay. No thank you.
Honestly I don't need standards, Just a "Ohai, I is alivez" would make me happy. The problem is right now we've got nothing. I don't expect her to be like King Lemming or Machine Muse, but a monthly "I'm alive and still modding" message would go a long way towards solving the current red power issue. I would wait for quite a while and be content if I knew an update was coming.

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
You get to assign quality of service standards for things you pay for. Nothing else.
That logic is incredibly flawed. I have a right as a human being to have standards for things I didn't pay for. I didn't pay for any mod. But I can place standards for it. What would make you think that free things can't have standards? I don't pay for Youtube. But i'm allowed to say it sucks.

Reactions: LittleMike

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
@Southern:

What if she has poor quality internet and the best she can do is work on her mod, maybe play but that is about it. Also what if it is not her style. Some people just like to work in quiet and bugger all whom want to know how they are doing. This is her hobby not her job.

@Dj:

So if you go to a yard sale that has a free box of stuff. Do you yell at the owner if what you got was the wrong size? How about if it is free books and one page is missing? Do you throw the book at them screaming about quality?

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019

Seriously? We will have to just agree to disagree, and I vehemently disagree. The dollar amount you pay for something has nothing to do with the quality of work that I can expect the same way that just because you pay more for something doesn't mean it's any better quality.

Reactions: southernfriedbb

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Because I've already built 2 large buildings out of marble and one out of basalt. My world would look funny if they just disappeared leaving all the stuff floating in the air.

All you need is a new mod that uses the the same blockids being inserted at the same time RP was removed.

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
@Southern:

What if she has poor quality internet and the best she can do is work on her mod, maybe play but that is about it. Also what if it is not her style. Some people just like to work in quiet and bugger all whom want to know how they are doing. This is her hobby not her job.

@Dj:

So if you go to a yard sale that has a free box of stuff. Do you yell at the owner if what you got was the wrong size? How about if it is free books and one page is missing? Do you throw the book at them screaming about quality?

Your straw man argument is just flawed logic. If I get a virus because I downloaded free anti-virus software, do I not have a right to complain about that company? Or am I just out of luck because I didn't feel like shelling out $50 for a "name brand" program?

Malkara

Jul 29, 2019
That logic is incredibly flawed. I have a right as a human being to have standards for things I didn't pay for. I didn't pay for any mod. But I can place standards for it. What would make you think that free things can't have standards? I don't pay for Youtube. But i'm allowed to say it sucks.

Say it sucks, yes.
Demand a minimum level of quality, no.
Stop using when it's under your "minimum level of quality", yes.

Whilst your personal view might be the deciding factor of you using it, it by no means allows you to set general standards. Indeed you can set your own standards, but those standards will then only apply to you, not the general public.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
Seriously? We will have to just agree to disagree, and I vehemently disagree. The dollar amount you pay for something has nothing to do with the quality of work that I can expect the same way that just because you pay more for something doesn't mean it's any better quality.

"Quality of service standards" applied to something given to you at absolutely no cost is the epitome of self-entitled behavior. Here's a word for you to ponder: 'gratitude'.

I reckon I've exhausted the potential for constructive contribution to this thread.[DOUBLEPOST=1365719910][/DOUBLEPOST]
When do we get to call it dead? To be clear, I want red power in the pack and updated and would hate to see it removed, and I'm in no particular rush to update. But how long do we wait for a response from Eloraam? 6 months? A year? This wouldn't be the first time a mod maker has gone permanently AFK. When is it OK for FTB to drop RP? Or do they have to pull a Technic, and just slap a classic on it?

It's an irrelevant strawman. It's not your decision to make, for starters, so debating how long to wait is kind of a juvenile thing to do. Recognize when you're calling the shots and don't pretend to call the shots when you're not. When is it okay for FTB to drop RP? When they add a pack that doesn't include RP. Simple. Stop complicating it.

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
"Quality of service standards" applied to something given to you at absolutely no cost is the epitome of self-entitled behavior. Here's a word for you to ponder: 'gratitude'.

I reckon I've exhausted the potential for constructive contribution to this thread.

I refer you to my responses to recklessgamer. Price and quality or two entirely different things. Whether you got it for free or you paid a million bucks for it has nothing to do with the quality of work put into it.

I never said I wasn't grateful. In fact I've stated that quite a few times in this thread. But if you're going to give me shoddy work and then excuse it away because it's free? Then I don't need your work at all. One has nothing to do with the other, like I said.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019

Wrong. Everything in life has a cost. The opportunity cost of having a mod that takes forever to update is that the modpack itself can't update.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
If everything in life has a cost why are you wasting it here on a forum? Go out and do something that can benefit the world. Find a cure for a major disease, end world hunger, wolve the puzzle of Stonehenge, find out what caused Bloop but don't sit in front of a computer talking about cost.

southernfriedbb

Jul 29, 2019
Malarkey, she has a twitter account, and some access to the internet(Library/Friends/Phone/etc.), it would take less the 5 minutes to post an "I'm alive" statement.
This maybe her hobby, but this is less about her mod and how fast she releases and more about basic interpersonal relations. It's about respect, Enigmius says it's about respecting the modder, and for the most part I agree, but like many things, it's a two way street. At least give your users the respect of an occasional status update.

Reactions: LittleMike

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
Her users? She is under no obligations to do such a thing. None of them are.

And FTB is under no obligations to keep her mod in a pack either. What's your point? If you want to have a mod included in FTB, then you should be required to communicate status of the mod. That's all. If you can't do that, then frankly, why would you even bother having your mod in FTB?

Malkara

Jul 29, 2019
Malarkey, she has a twitter account, and some access to the internet(Library/Friends/Phone/etc.), it would take less the 5 minutes to post an "I'm alive" statement.
This maybe her hobby, but this is less about her mod and how fast she releases and more about basic interpersonal relations. It's about respect, Enigmius says it's about respecting the modder, and for the most part I agree, but like many things, it's a two way street. At least give your users the respect of an occasional status update.

Fair enough, but you have to take into consideration that for every x = easy to give your userbase an update, there is at least an y=>x = reasons for not giving your userbase an update.
In other words, there might be an imaginable amount of reasons for her to just go an post something on twitter, there might also be an imaginable amount of reasons for her to be incapable of doing so. Alas, only time will tell. And until it does, the FTB team decides.

ChewingGumm

Jul 29, 2019
Wow guys, you are completelely crazy :D
I didn't expect such high frequency of answers.

So, i just spent the last 30 minutes reading the latest this here and there are definitely right opinions as i think.
It is true, its definitely not fair to put all the pressure on her to update a mod that she does for free, in her free time and tbh she does it for ehrself and not for the FTB players or anything.

But she probably sees the problems her mod is bringing up and maybe at least say something. So she probably has an own opinion about this whole situation and I and i think im talking for alot of people here, would like to have at least a statement from her.
I mean, i personally dont have a problem if she says like "Hey guys, im sorry for my non-communication but im sorry to say that i will abandon my mod for the public" It would be rather nice o hear, because then all people can think ahead and replace it with other mods as already mentioned, or maybe she is so grateful to give help with removing her world gen from existing worlds, though i think it would be a better solution for everyone to just start from scratch.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.