Redpower 2 future in FTB?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
Status
Not open for further replies.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't added that specifically, no. It's a pretty easy addition, but it can lead to some weirdness if NBT goes wonky. I'll think about it.

Core is meant to serve as a base library; if I do a world gen mod, it will actually be separate, it'll just hook into the world gen handler I already have in Core, which allows for a lot of different options, such as the silver/lead co-generation that TE does.

I wholeheartedly agree with you that it should be in a separate mod. I understand the necessity of a mod being able to generate the ores it needs, but it's a bit of a bummer that FTB relies on TE for ore generation. That role would be much better suited by a good, dedicated mod. I advocate Metallurgy for this, since it's 1.5.1 ready, open source, open license and very flexible. But I hold you as a developer in more esteem and can't help but think you'd make a technically better solution!

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
But I don't want to do that. That's not the point. The point is RP2 will be holding the mod pack if it's kept. It if it's replaced with more capable mods then I think overall FTB will become a better mod pack. I also think it will help Elooram figure out that, if she doesn't update, her mod will get dropped. Regardless of the quality, mods can't be kept if they don't update.

Zexks

Jul 29, 2019
It is because Rp2 is pretty darn functional. I tried to feed my Infernal Furnace with BC pipes but I kept losing stuff. I use one RP2 item and no more hassles.

EDIT: As I said in another thread. RP2 does a lot. It takes, as of now and to my knowledge, four other mods to even try to compare. It is good for the sake of innovation but think hard on it. Four mods, maybe more or less but at least three, to even start being even with how much RP2 does.

And that's not really a good thing, with how fast minecraft updates these days. If we didn't get main application updates every few months it might work out, but as it stands, she's got a real life a real job and other things that are going to eat up her time. Which means less time for a single developer to update and fix a single mod that is as big if not bigger than the next 2 or 3 major mods, over multiple devs working on 4+ mods that do the same thing. If she doesn't open it up at least some, she's going to shoe horn herself out of a market share, simply because of lack of available time. And while I wouldn't necessarily be pleased to see RP2 go, it would be nice to not be stuck on an older version simply because of a single mod. All of this; however, could be alleviated with just a bit more community involvement.

Reactions: southernfriedbb

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
It is because Rp2 is pretty darn functional. I tried to feed my Infernal Furnace with BC pipes but I kept losing stuff. I use one RP2 item and no more hassles.

EDIT: As I said in another thread. RP2 does a lot. It takes, as of now and to my knowledge, four other mods to even try to compare. It is good for the sake of innovation but think hard on it. Four mods, maybe more or less but at least three, to even start being even with how much RP2 does.

So then use MultiMC. Problem solved. Why punish the rest of us because Elo is lagging behind everyone else? This is a case of putting all your eggs in one basket and getting screwed over it. Elo has a bad reputation for taking months to update her mod. On top of that, it's closed source. This means if she doesn't update, we're all screwed. I'm not okay with that option. It's also why I don't use many things that RP gives us.

I think the FTB team should have a new rule for mod submissions - you are given a reasonable time period to update your mod. If you cannot meet this deadline, your mod will be dropped. If you have an open source mod, it's not a big deal. But if you have a closed source mod, then you would be required to change that to open source or it won't be included.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned - it's as much of a privilege to be included in FTB as it is to have mod authors give permission. Being a part of FTB gives a lot of exposure to the author. There is a certain responsibility that comes with that. Or at least I feel it should.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
Lets play what if:

What if her mod is dropped And she still doesn't update. Heck it might even be more freeing for her since she no longer has to worry about rabid players whom are jonesing for updates every time Mojang puts out another. If I was her then I would be elated. I could work on my mod, in my own time, output things on my own, even say no more modpacks and be happy. Win win right?

EDIT:

Or how about people learn to install mods themselves. Take a little time to learn your own computer and system. Maybe the entitled attitude of "ME WANT NAO!!" would stop? Maybe some would see that Mojang's pumping out of updates is both good and bad. Or maybe people will move onto another game and let well enough alone?

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
not true at all. Frames, computers, tubes, wires, microblocks, sickles, rubies/sapphires/greensapphires, bluetricity, awesome machines, and you think marble and volcanoes are the best?

Because I've already built 2 large buildings out of marble and one out of basalt. My world would look funny if they just disappeared leaving all the stuff floating in the air.

I'm already planning on replacing my sorting system with AE. That would also eliminate a lot of the tubes. Project tables would also be missed, but there are other options even if they aren't as good.

Reactions: southernfriedbb

Zexks

Jul 29, 2019
Lets play what if:

What if her mod is dropped And she still doesn't update. Heck it might even be more freeing for her since she no longer has to worry about rabid players whom are jonesing for updates every time Mojang puts out another. If I was her then I would be elated. I could work on my mod, in my own time, output things on my own, even say no more modpacks and be happy. Win win right?

Yep, others would step up and replace whatever was lost. Most likely all in separate mods themselves, so we wouldn't have to wait on volcano's because frames can't move an ender chest. They would be updated faster, less prone to bugs (more eyes), and would be open to far more inter-compatibility than is currently available.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
I wholeheartedly agree with you that it should be in a separate mod. I understand the necessity of a mod being able to generate the ores it needs, but it's a bit of a bummer that FTB relies on TE for ore generation. That role would be much better suited by a good, dedicated mod. I advocate Metallurgy for this, since it's 1.5.1 ready, open source, open license and very flexible. But I hold you as a developer in more esteem and can't help but think you'd make a technically better solution!

Metallurgy is a great concept, but seeing that their ores still don't work in TE machines, despite having the API for a looong time, ehh. ;) The authors are great though - check out Atum from the Modjam competition, it's a brilliant mod.

I think the FTB team should have a new rule for mod submissions - you are given a reasonable time period to update your mod. If you cannot meet this deadline, your mod will be dropped. If you have an open source mod, it's not a big deal. But if you have a closed source mod, then you would be required to change that to open source or it won't be included.

I'm not going to pretend to speak for FTB here, but as a general point, the FTB team goes out of their way to work with modders and get permission, and they do not dictate terms.

As far as the open source thing goes, please don't be absurd. There are valid reasons to be closed source. As a modder, I will agree that if you plan on leaving the community, you should either leave your mod in capable hands or open it up, but the notion that actively developed mods need to be open "just incase" is ludicrous.

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure what you mean. If FTB drops her she is probably screwed. I doubt many other mod packs would agree to include her considering her past. Yes, she could be a stand alone mod, but she still wouldn't update as often as the other mod packs. And like the other people already stated, it is a privilege to be a part of FTB. If she can't appreciate that privilege by just giving a "hello i'm not dead" then she doesn't deserve the privilege to be apart of it. The least she could do is make her mod an open source or give it to a friend so we can enjoy MC updates and she can have a life.

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
Or how about people learn to install mods themselves. Take a little time to learn your own computer and system. Maybe the entitled attitude of "ME WANT NAO!!" would stop? Maybe some would see that Mojang's pumping out of updates is both good and bad. Or maybe people will move onto another game and let well enough alone?

That kind of defeats the purpose of having FTB at all. The launcher makes it easy to add and remove mods, but you still need a base pack to do so. If the average person was capable of installing Forge, installing the mods they want, resolving conflict ID's, changing configs, etc, then there would be no FTB at all.

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
Metallurgy is a great concept, but seeing that their ores still don't work in TE machines, despite having the API for a looong time, ehh. ;) The authors are great though - check out Atum from the Modjam competition, it's a brilliant mod.

I'm not going to pretend to speak for FTB here, but as a general point, the FTB team goes out of their way to work with modders and get permission, and they do not dictate terms.

As far as the open source thing goes, please don't be absurd. There are valid reasons to be closed source. As a modder, I will agree that if you plan on leaving the community, you should either leave your mod in capable hands or open it up, but the notion that actively developed mods need to be open "just incase" is ludicrous.

No, no, that's not what I meant about open source. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant that if you plan on leaving the community, then open up the source to your mod. I didn't mean to imply that the mod must be open source. That's why I said "if" your mod is closed source. Agreed there are plenty of reasons to keep it closed.

Simo is a great example - his SPC mod was closed source. After 1.3 broke everything, he got tired of having to retool everything from scratch. So what did he do? He made it open source and said, have a nice day. He still "kinda" works on it, but q3hardcore has done more with it lately.

I think that's the model approach.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
Well then maybe people need to learn to do things on their own *Gasp* what a foreign concept. I admit it would take me a bit to relearn how to do so but I am willing to give it a go. Humans these days. *shakes head*

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
Retro, it's already been stated that if everybody had that attitude then FTB wouldn't exist. That's what FTB is for. For people who aren't interested in computers but wanna play modded minecraft. Please move onto your next argument. This one has already been discussed.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
While I sympathize that it would set you back hours and hours of work, look at the other side of the coin - FTB could be set back months and months waiting on a single mod. How is that fair to any of the other mod authors who "did the right thing" by keeping to a more timely update schedule? To me it's a matter of the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. If you want to keep 1.4.7 and RP, there's always MultiMC to do that. But why hold everyone else back over one mod. Granted a robust, and useful one, but still - it's one mod. I just don't see that as fair at all.

One really good reason to hold off is respect for the mod devs...all of them, not just the ones doing what you want...which was apparently one of the core values behind FTB to begin with. I shouldn't need to explain more than that. If I do, you wouldn't understand anyway.

Reactions: Lambert2191

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
Well then maybe people need to learn to do things on their own *Gasp* what a foreign concept. I admit it would take me a bit to relearn how to do so but I am willing to give it a go. Humans these days. *shakes head*

That's like saying, oh this mod has a bug in it, don't like it? It's open source, code a fix yourself.

That's fine if you're in a community of developers saying that, but the average "customer" should not be expected to do that.

And again - what is the point of FTB at all, then?

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
Seen your video, did you ever finish the solar panels on it? Also yeah I bet it would suck to have to lose that, looked like it took a while.

Not even close to finishing the solar panels, but it's a WIP. Fast quarries making for abundant nikolite when they get to the lower levels, but I just relocated my quarry so it'll be a while before I see more.

Status
Not open for further replies.