Redpower 2 future in FTB?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
Almost every mod we care about is updated or has testing build available. Check the status matrix OmegaPython maintains. TE is in fact ready now, it seems.
Do you remember how long it took for her to update 1.3/1.4.6

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
It can't be placed in it. The glowstone isn't dense enough to support a boat. It's a very....light...liquid, you see.

I dare you to make it catch on fire. ;)

I wish your source was on github. I swear I'd take a day off from work to make that pull request to your repo. Boats on fire is high comedy.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Do you remember how long it took for her to update 1.3/1.4.6

Why would I care? And why should FTB wait? DW20 and the Mindcrack folks can if they want, but why should FTB? Why not push to 1.5 and add Rp2 if/when it finishes its update cycle. All you're doing is making a the argument that the 1.5 jump should happen stronger, not weaker.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Wait... does liquid glowstone have a flowing and still version?

Someone needs to try the TE 1.5.1 beta. With great assistance from OvermindDL1, I sat down with the liquids and had a chat. The terms of our arrangement have been...altered.

NewStuff.png

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Someone needs to try the TE 1.5.1 beta. With great assistance from OvermindDL1, I sat down with the liquids and had a chat. The terms of our arrangement have been...altered.

NewStuff.png

I'm bumping one of my modpacks to 1.5.1 tonight now that you've updated your downloads page. This looks way too fun.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
Why would I care? And why should FTB wait? DW20 and the Mindcrack folks can if they want, but why should FTB? Why not push to 1.5 and add Rp2 if/when it finishes its update cycle. All you're doing is making a the argument that the 1.5 jump should happen stronger, not weaker.

Because not everyone is happy to start a new world every time Mojang lobs another update, and if we start dropping and adding and dropping and adding mods to packs just to bring a pack up to the latest version of MC, worldgen becomes a substantial concern.

Reactions: Jyzarc

Zexks

Jul 29, 2019
Don't forget lights! Those are always fun.
TE's got you covered on those though. And those were getting made regardless of what happens to RP; gotta have a use for Liquid Glowstone. ;)

Also xycraft and IC2. I personally prefer IC2's illuminators since they set the mobs on fire too, and what else are you going to do with the massive loads of power FTB lets you get.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Because not everyone is happy to start a new world every time Mojang lobs another update, and if we start dropping and adding and dropping and adding mods to packs just to bring a pack up to the latest version of MC, worldgen becomes a substantial concern.

That should be a concern for RP2 though. It is not like it is impossible by any stretch of the imagination. It's actually not even hard to fix the worldgen issue.

The problem is that many mods in the pack have pretty serious bugs that will never be fixed in the 1.4.7 branches. We were very lucky that AE got that critical bugfix in 1.4.7. It means its author knows how to use version control properly.

So it's obviously not an easy decision. We're rapidly approaching the point where nearly every mod but SoulShards and RP2 is ready and dramatically improved by the 1.5 bump. There's also substantial performance increases and stability stuff in new forge builds. There has to be a scale here that tips around.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
I'm bumping one of my modpacks to 1.5.1 tonight now that you've updated your downloads page. This looks way too fun.

The actual world placement of the liquids (Redstone, Glowstone, Ender) is only available in Creative for now. I'm...balancing Glowstone. It's a bit much right now. But it's pretty funny.

Also, in the initial implementation, Glowstone was actually lighter than air, and flowed upwards. Thanks to Overmind's base code (and my absurd rewrites to make it match vanilla liquid behavior), it's a 1-line change if I want to bring that back. We'll see.

Should also mention, it's a 1-line change to go from "Classic" liquid mechanics to "Finite" as well. Still thinking about that also.

Agreed on this count. That's part of the reason TE allows for so many generation options. Now that I actually have a unified World Handler in CoFH Core, I may sit down and try to make a generation mod to help avert things like this.

SynysterBear

Jul 29, 2019
The actual world placement of the liquids (Redstone, Glowstone, Ender) is only available in Creative for now. I'm...balancing Glowstone. It's a bit much right now. But it's pretty funny.

Also, in the initial implementation, Glowstone was actually lighter than air, and flowed upwards. Thanks to Overmind's base code (and my absurd rewrites to make it match vanilla liquid behavior), it's a 1-line change if I want to bring that back. We'll see.

Oooohhhhh sounds cool. Bucket of glowstone liquid, pop it on a inside roof. Badass lighting.

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019

A liquid that flows upwards... now there's something you don't see every day. Personally, I think it'd be a crazy and awesome thing to have, even just for the contra-gravitational flow. If you don't keep that functionality for glowstone, pllleeeeaaaaase consider making another liquid defy gravity?

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
To me it is worth waiting for RP for a couple months, Redpower is the main reason I play FTB and I don't think I would enjoy FTB without it, and I wouldn't want my world to break. That said if someone does make a good open source replacement (Like Briman promised) then I would definitily go with that

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
That upflowing liquid glowstone sounds like an awesome idea. Give reason for glowstone to be on the ceilings in the nether (melts from the lava drips up and condenses), and would make an awesome new lighting mechanic.

I wanted a boat to work on it so bad if it really floated. Imagine using ladders to constrain the flow and then sailing down a floating, glowing canal through the sky. It's a scene right out of a Miyazaki film.

Reactions: Zexks

Zexks

Jul 29, 2019
I wanted a boat to work on it so bad if it really floated. Imagine using ladders to constrain the flow and then sailing down a floating, glowing canal through the sky. It's a scene right out of a Miyazaki film.

Now that sounds awesome. Like a mystical highway in the sky.

Status
Not open for further replies.