Redpower 2 future in FTB?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
Status
Not open for further replies.

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
Now they just need an extraction pipe that isn't a) slow, or b) a blocking round robin whitelist.

Build craft also now has the emerald pipe which acts as a advanced wooden pipe/filter that allows you to specify what you want to be pulled out of the inventory. As for the water proof emerald pipe it acts as a upgraded wooden water proof pipe allowing it to extract at golden water proof pipe speed instead of watter proof cobble stone pipe speed.

With all the tools in build craft it can match most of what redpower can do with heavy use of gates and redstone. Grant it is no where near as easy or complete as redpower is since it is lacking a few key features. Which once we get logic pipes back in its new and improved format things will be even greator. Until then we have AE which adds a ton of features for sorting, crafting, and inventory management.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
Yes and no. For the amount of stuff that changed in 1.5 (and I would expect even more in 1.6), massive updates are required across the board, whether or not there is any sort of runtime deobf magic in place. It's a cool feature, but when Mojang makes drastic alterations to the underlying game, we all have to update, sorry.
I'm agreeing with this guy because I like his mod, so his comment is more valid.

Laguy

Jul 29, 2019
My guess is part of the reason for this thread was a statement made by Ethos today in his daily video where he suggested there was a rumor that RP might be dropped since Elo was MIA. Now I have no idea if that is true but I must say I don't think he would say that if he didn't think there was some validity to the rumor. Of course, as stated previously, there are easy ways to silence rumors. Somehow though I don't think Elo probably knows or cares what rumors are circulating. What I do care about is having the FTB release held up again waiting for RP to update. Personally I am weaning my world off RP and to be honest it isn't that big a deal not to use it anymore. Maybe some things aren't as simple or as elegant to make, but a lot of the functionality is slowly being integrated into other mods. I just hope that FTB doesn't again allow RP to delay a release. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: WatcherInTheShadows

Molten

Jul 29, 2019
My God, Every update. Every bloody update.
Always the same... "Eloraam hasn't been seen and there's an update due to MC. Flip the fuck out" !
"OMG we hate her, she is so selfish I want, I want. Why she no speak"
2 weeks later RP2 releases update....
"We love you Eloraam ! We never doubted you. You are the best" !

Next update: "Where the feck is that woman, an update is due ? I hate her !!!"

Every sodding update.
She enjoys privacy, It's not a hard concept. And she owes us nothing.

mrkite

Jul 29, 2019
Then I guess the modpacks are going to stay highjacked by 1 mod again, since as usual elooram is nowhere to be found, why does modpacks that have over 60 mods+ have to wait for 1 person to decide that she can care enough to post life signs or even botter updating the mod.

It's a bit premature to be crying about how the sky is falling. As it stands right now, 32 mods still need updating.

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
tbh I don't mind the vanilla redstone mechanics and can easily live without red allow wire and any of the circuits RP2 adds. I prefer BC pipes and AE over RP2's sorting systems and I don't use Microblocks either.

Really the only things I'll miss are things like Block breakers, Buffers, Deployers, Frames, Marble and Basalt. And most of those have decent alternatives. MFR and GT have Block Breakers for example and Ugocraft might be able to replace frames (and if I understand correctly it's already up to 1.5.x).
I'd hate to lose my cool volcano base, but I can probably replace the Basalt with some other block via MCEdit and still have a cool looking base.

All in all I'll probably lose some features from RP2, but nothing I can't live without. So if you ask me they should just move on without RP2 if it's not up to date by the time all the other mods are.

That said: for the time being I don't think we should worry though because many mods aren't updated yet and for mods that depend on those mods (like Extrabees) they probably can't even start updating yet.

btw, I'm quite sure the textures of most microblocks are just taken from the full blocks. She just needs to make sure each type of microblock has UVs to do that, which isn't hard. Also any other textures only have to be separated, which again shouldn't be hard if she set it up properly (for example if she has separated each tile into a separate layer in an image editing program it should be easy to separate the tilesets into separate images).
Of course I don't know how she has things set up, but if I had it set up the most work would be in updating the code, not the art.

Reactions: Laguy

Zexks

Jul 29, 2019
My God, Every update. Every bloody update.
Always the same... "Eloraam hasn't been seen and there's an update due to MC. Flip the fuck out" !
"OMG we hate her, she is so selfish I want, I want. Why she no speak"
2 weeks later RP2 releases update....
"We love you Eloraam ! We never doubted you. You are the best" !

Next update: "Where the feck is that woman, an update is due ? I hate her !!!"

Every sodding update.
She enjoys privacy, It's not a hard concept. And she owes us nothing.

This is untrue. Last time was over 3 months the time before was close to 2 months. On top of the fact that every other mod had already updated, and not only that several other mods that do similar things all kept up. It's her mod and her choices but it's never been just 2 weeks.

The problem is the redstone changes she made. Alloy wire and insulated/bundled cable have not yet been replaced. Computer craft can kind of make up for the logic circuits, but unfortunately since immibius micro blocks don't work with regular redstone you won't be hiding any neat wiring. You'll end up doing what etho did in the first ftb world, just create a giant back room behind any machine and keep your redstone maze in a separate room.

The only other thing she adds that isn't done somewhere else is frames. And while those are nice, they're not essential or game changing.

Since starting in technic and moving over to ftb in october, I've learned my lesson about using to much redpower in my worlds. At this point I try not to use it at all if possible. It does make things easier, but I've found it's much more satisfying to do without, knowing you won't have to worry about your worlds wiring every update.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I've used Redpower heavily in the past.

That is expressly why I don't use it. I enjoy better than 10FPS.[DOUBLEPOST=1364686151][/DOUBLEPOST]

Now they just need an extraction pipe that isn't a) slow, or b) a blocking round robin whitelist.[DOUBLEPOST=1364686209][/DOUBLEPOST]

PowerCraft and Immibis microblocks.

For the record I, keep trying to get powercraft to work in the various packs I maintain and it keeps loading in the logs but like... not injecting recipes. I consider myself pretty good at maintaining modpacks now, and I'm at a loss for what to do about it.

Technician

Jul 29, 2019
MFR creating rednet, ComputerCraft already has computers. I heard Greg was making timers etc, I hope someone else does too, just in case you don't want gregtech.

Pneumatic tubes are so intelligent but those will be replaced. Microblocks probably replaced as well.

I hope she comes back however.

Reactions: southernfriedbb

southernfriedbb

Jul 29, 2019
MFR creating rednet, ComputerCraft already has computers. I heard Greg was making timers etc, I hope someone else does too, just in case you don't want gregtech.

Pneumatic tubes are so intelligent but those will be replaced. Microblocks probably replaced as well.

I hope she comes back however.

Immibis the tubestuff creator has a microblock mod as well.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019

I can speak with confidence on this: several awesome redstone logic mods are in the works.

Immibis has reasonable replacements for tubes (as does Thaumcraft and Applied Energistics).

Reactions: Zexks

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Don't forget lights! Those are always fun.

TE's got you covered on those though. And those were getting made regardless of what happens to RP; gotta have a use for Liquid Glowstone. ;)

I saw this, by the way. That is exciting! But we stil have Xycraft and Minefactory Reloaded as well for those.

Btw man, what is a boat going to do in liquid glowstone? I propose that something funny should happen.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
I'm still a bit confused as to why everyone is freaking out about this, this is obviously a huge update and really affects RP, lots of other big mods haven't even been updated yet. Of course its gonna take some time, but it is worth the wait (assuming it updates this year lol)

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I'm still a bit confused as to why everyone is freaking out about this, this is obviously a huge update and really affects RP, lots of other big mods haven't even been updated yet. Of course its gonna take some time, but it is worth the wait (assuming it updates this year lol)

Almost every mod we care about is updated or has testing build available. Check the status matrix OmegaPython maintains. TE is in fact ready now, it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.