Redpower 2 future in FTB?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
I like how Eloraam's standard reclusiveness/wish for privacy is constantly misconstrued by people saying she's not there. She doesn't talk much, that's all.

Also, RP is a pretty enormous mod. Don't act all shocked that it takes a while to update. Just getting all the textures worked out to the new format is a serious undertaking.

Norfgarb

Jul 29, 2019
I like how Eloraam's standard reclusiveness/wish for privacy is constantly misconstrued by people saying she's not there. She doesn't talk much, that's all.

Also, RP is a pretty enormous mod. Don't act all shocked that it takes a while to update. Just getting all the textures worked out to the new format is a serious undertaking.

This pretty much needs to be reposted 50 times so people don't skim over it

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019

Yes, most of it needs to be removed from core so that the core and one module can be updated and be useful. Pretty silly to wait on volcanos for an update to 1.5

Slidingmike

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, most of it needs to be removed from core so that the core and one module can be updated and be useful. Pretty silly to wait on volcanos for an update to 1.5

I agree here. I think world gen should be separate. I think it would solve many of the problems with waiting. I'm fine with sitting and waiting with a few stacks of flax seed and nikolite

ostPavel

Jul 29, 2019
It would be nice of Elo to utilize the “Runtime Deobfuscation” method provided by FML/Forge in RP2. Some modders are already using it, like iChun. Basically, it will make mod updates unnecessary.
"As Minecraft updates, there should be no reason to update certain mods, unless things break, thanks to FML." (C) iChun's blog

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
It would be nice of Elo to utilize the “Runtime Deobfuscation” method provided by FML/Forge in RP2. Some modders are already using it, like iChun. Basically, it will make mod updates unnecessary.
"As Minecraft updates, there should be no reason to update certain mods, unless things break, thanks to FML." (C) iChun's blog

Yes and no. For the amount of stuff that changed in 1.5 (and I would expect even more in 1.6), massive updates are required across the board, whether or not there is any sort of runtime deobf magic in place. It's a cool feature, but when Mojang makes drastic alterations to the underlying game, we all have to update, sorry.

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
Imo, RP doesn't cost me anything, so I'll get when I get it, or maybe not at all. Yea, RP2 is great, and some things would be difficult without it, just keep in mind, we don't pay for RP, and Eloraam doesn't owe us anything. All I would ask is that if she's not going to be working on it anymore, give it to someone else. That would be the cool thing to do, however, it's her code, and if she doesn't want to give it away she doesn't have to. If it were me in her shoes, I would rather give it to someone I trust than see it die. But that's just me, I don't know Elo or how she thinks.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
As ive said before, RP2, even with its bugs, brings FAR MORE to the table than updating from 1.4.7->1.5.1. It would be beyond silly to even consider ditching it at this point for a redstone update that it already far more than outdoes.

Efforts would be better placed into donating to Eloraam and or otherwise helping her or helping the RedPower project get updated.

In the end I blame Mojang for not having set up a good mod framework/hosting/repo system for the game. Updates like 1.5 are not fun for mod authors, and Mojang needs to STOP SLACKING and start focusing on the fact their game is a creation tool that needs to be easy to mod with stability and performance intact.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
As ive said before, RP2, even with its bugs, brings FAR MORE to the table than updating from 1.4.7->1.5.1. It would be beyond silly to even consider ditching it at this point for a redstone update that it already far more than outdoes.

That's an opinion, and I certainly wouldn't be using RP if I was starting a new server, because I'd start it at 1.5.1

Now, the existing server I'm on already has RP so its complicated to dump it. Wouldn't bother me, but others use it.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
For people that have no used RP much, it wouldent be much a loss. True. But for the people that do, they know what they would be missing. Microblocks alone would be a huge loss, let alone all the redstone tools, redwire, sorting, piping, and transportation machine are superior to other mod alternatives. When i first started using redpower, i felt like I was cheating because it wasn't ridiculously slow or complicated or didnt freakn leak.

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
For people that have no used RP much, it wouldent be much a loss. True. But for the people that do, they know what they would be missing. Microblocks alone would be a huge loss, let alone all the redstone tools, redwire, sorting, piping, and transportation machine are superior to other mod alternatives. When i first started using redpower, i felt like I was cheating because it wasn't ridiculously slow or complicated or didnt freakn leak.

Did you hear about the latest things that CPW is adding to build craft? Gates are getting even cooler with the option to only pull out one item per activation of the energy pulser instead of continually pulling items. Also if you use a gate with multiple energy pulser conditionals they will add to one another allowing you to pull more items out at a time, same as adding additional or stronger engines. Allowing you to pull up to stacks out at a time if you use diamond gates, effectively removing the need to power a wood pipe with a engine. They talked about it in the last 2 episodes of direwolf's SMP series and it sounded really cool.

As for items leaking that only happens now if the items have no where to go in the pipe system as items will no longer choose a dead end if they have a valid route to take. On the other hand I do admit that redpower tubes are better in this regard as they work in a opposite manner to the ones in build craft in which items never enter the tubes unless they already have a place to go.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Yeah, people are always so touchy when it comes to Redpower, and I understand why, a little. It has become ubiquitous, it is everywhere and in nearly every tech modpack out there, so without it thousands of worlds will break on update.

I've been thinking about that a lot, lately. Everyone does the same thing with tech modpacks. Buildcraft, IC2, Redpower, Forestry (usually), Railcraft, and now TE. Perhaps it is time to do something different? It isn't like there are other mods out there that do tech stuff, and it would be interesting to explore new things.

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, people are always so touchy when it comes to Redpower, and I understand why, a little. It has become ubiquitous, it is everywhere and in nearly every tech modpack out there, so without it thousands of worlds will break on update.

I've been thinking about that a lot, lately. Everyone does the same thing with tech modpacks. Buildcraft, IC2, Redpower, Forestry (usually), Railcraft, and now TE. Perhaps it is time to do something different? It isn't like there are other mods out there that do tech stuff, and it would be interesting to explore new things.
Try the Ampz (formerly Universal Electricity) pack for a change of pace. It's only one but it's something and it is kind of different.
Did you hear about the latest things that CPW is adding to build craft? Gates are getting even cooler with the option to only pull out one item per activation of the energy pulser instead of continually pulling items. Also if you use a gate with multiple energy pulser conditionals they will add to one another allowing you to pull more items out at a time, same as adding additional or stronger engines. Allowing you to pull up to stacks out at a time if you use diamond gates, effectively removing the need to power a wood pipe with a engine. They talked about it in the last 2 episodes of direwolf's SMP series and it sounded really cool.

As for items leaking that only happens now if the items have no where to go in the pipe system as items will no longer choose a dead end if they have a valid route to take. On the other hand I do admit that redpower tubes are better in this regard as they work in a opposite manner to the ones in build craft in which items never enter the tubes unless they already have a place to go.
Those features on the gates sound awesome.

akamanu

Jul 29, 2019
The other day I saw a thread that contained a list of mods that if you include them in your world, you would have almost all the things that rp2 offers, including microblocks. I will try to find it and link it. There are alternatives out there.
/Manu

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
The other day I saw a thread that contained a list of mods that if you include them in your world, you would have almost all the things that rp2 offers, including microblocks. I will try to find it and link it. There are alternatives out there.
/Manu

I think the whole lack of redpower for all of 1.3 kinda motivated people to find/make alternatives for all of its bits and pieces that really matter to people.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
For people that have no used RP much, it wouldent be much a loss. True.

I've used Redpower heavily in the past.

That is expressly why I don't use it. I enjoy better than 10FPS.[DOUBLEPOST=1364686151][/DOUBLEPOST]
, effectively removing the need to power a wood pipe with a engine.

Now they just need an extraction pipe that isn't a) slow, or b) a blocking round robin whitelist.[DOUBLEPOST=1364686209][/DOUBLEPOST]
/Manu

PowerCraft and Immibis microblocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.