Redpower 2 future in FTB?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zexks

Jul 29, 2019
One really good reason to hold off is respect for the mod devs...all of them, not just the ones doing what you want...which was apparently one of the core values behind FTB to begin with. I shouldn't need to explain more than that. If I do, you wouldn't understand anyway.

But which side do you respect. Do you show respect to the authors that were timely (or at least communicative) by releasing without the hold-up? Or do you show respect to the hold-out by making all the others wait?

Also, good luck on those solars, that was looking pretty sweet at the end of the last video.

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
One really good reason to hold off is respect for the mod devs...all of them, not just the ones doing what you want...which was apparently one of the core values behind FTB to begin with. I shouldn't need to explain more than that. If I do, you wouldn't understand anyway.

You're right, I don't understand. What does holding off and promoting a habit of lagging behind and total lack of communication have anything to do with respecting a mod author?

Yes, this is work for free. No one gets paid to make these mods. And it is very much appreciated that we have authors that want to devote their time for FREE to not only create but update these mods. But Elo is one author. And she has a habit of doing this. There are many authors out there that will at least throw out a tweet now and again and give us an update. Look at King Lemming. He's on these boards all the time and we not only here what he has in store, but he even goes so far as to take that feedback he gets and include it. Stellar.

I don't think every mod author needs to be like that, but when you a) take months to update your mod (one that is still filled with huge bugs, mind you *coughcanvasbagdupecough*) and b) have a total lack of *communication* then you really need to rethink if you want to be a part of a bigger community.

Elo could tweet tomorrow, "Hey all, sorry, was in the hospital. Updates are forthcoming!" and everyone would shut up. But she doesn't. And this happened before. That is not good, I'm sorry.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Metallurgy is a great concept, but seeing that their ores still don't work in TE machines, despite having the API for a looong time, ehh. ;) The authors are great though - check out Atum from the Modjam competition, it's a brilliant mod.

I've got a one-off recipe injection mod for this. I'm waiting for them to make metallurgy 3 public before I submit it. I agree it's dumb, but they're busy with Modjam and they've said their opinion is that they made the mod open source so that third party folks can do the inter-mod integration. It's sorta wrong though, I agree.

As far as the open source thing goes, please don't be absurd. There are valid reasons to be closed source.

I am sure there are, but I've never heard one that is good. Can you tell me one? See below for more on this, because I submit to you that' what's valuable to your mod is you, King Lemming. Your code is proof of your accomplishment, capability and intellect, but the actual value is in you. Opening your code and license wouldn't really change that.

Every job I've worked in, I've struggled to make everything I work on open source. I do this because I am selfish. Open source has helped my career many ways and organizationally we can distribute the cost of software engineering across companies without a lot of overhead or legal trouble. It's great! I've had some pretty cool products use my code and I'm proud of that.

As a modder, I will agree that if you plan on leaving the community, you should either leave your mod in capable hands or open it up, but the notion that actively developed mods need to be open "just incase" is ludicrous.

I just wanna be clear: I appreciate your work and I am happy you do it. I just don't see what value you get from it being closed. I certainly am not saying you have done a wrong thing. I firmly believe in software copyright and I have adhered to the terms of every mod license despite it chafing sometimes somewhat badly.

I just don't understand why you value the closed-source part of it. From the perspective of a working software engineer a vibrant github portfolio opens a lot more doors than a line item on a resumé. If you get half as many recruiter calls as I do you might say it's not relevant, but... And of course, there is basically nothing you can do to stop anyone from firing up a decompiler and looking at your code as it stands, and you can never sell it or make revenue off of it save for the most indirect of options; none of which is actually impacted by open sourcing. It's one of those scenarios where the closed source model penalizes thieves and copycats not a bit, but I don't really see how it's anything but a downside for potential users.

But I have yet to actually do more than recipe injection mods, and I am not sure I have the time to do more. So maybe I just don't have the perspective yet. Is there some kind of cautionary tale you'd like to share? I'd really love to hear a cogent opinion from the closed source side.

Reactions: Spoo

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
But which side do you respect. Do you show respect to the authors that were timely (or at least communicative) by releasing without the hold-up? Or do you show respect to the hold-out by making all the others wait?

Also, good luck on those solars, that was looking pretty sweet at the end of the last video.

It's not about sides. You're making it about sides. There are no sides. Again, and it's getting old repeating this, one month is not a long time. You guys are crying like it's been six months since 1.5 dropped with no word. Get some patience in ya and stop picking arguments and assigning sides where there are none.

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
Once again, the trend is that she takes multiple months to update and she hasn't said a word on it.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
Elo could tweet tomorrow, "Hey all, sorry, was in the hospital. Updates are forthcoming!" and everyone would shut up. But she doesn't. And this happened before. That is not good, I'm sorry.

That's right, she could tweet tomorrow that she was in the hospital but updates are in the works and the lot of you would look like dicks for rushing to have the mod dropped from the pack after a month. That's what it boils down to. All the 'what if' and 'but but but' amounts to approximately nothing. Learn some patience. It's not a complicated thing.

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
It's not about sides. You're making it about sides. There are no sides. Again, and it's getting old repeating this, one month is not a long time. You guys are crying like it's been six months since 1.5 dropped with no word. Get some patience in ya and stop picking arguments and assigning sides where there are none.

I think you misunderstand - yes, it's only been a month since 1.5. I'm not advocating dropping RP right this second. But this is something that I feel should be addressed. Elo is just an example because she's done this before. If any author went 6 months without being heard from, then the FTB team needs to seriously consider whether or not to continue to include that mod in their packs. As far as I know, this hasn't been an issue before except with Elo, but it brings up the point that maybe there should be a set of standards that *everyone* has to follow if they want to have a mod in FTB. I don't see what's so wrong about that.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
EHUGN4E.jpg

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't look like anything. I wouldn't feel like anything either. If she doesn't say anything I have the right to my opinion that the mod should be dropped. Regardless of wether or not she's in the hospital I have no way of knowing. I have patience. It's worn down though. Especially with RP2. I don't even LIKE the mod for christ's sake, I could care less if it was gone.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
That's right, she could tweet tomorrow that she was in the hospital but updates are in the works and the lot of you would look like dicks for rushing to have the mod dropped from the pack after a month. That's what it boils down to. All the 'what if' and 'but but but' amounts to approximately nothing. Learn some patience. It's not a complicated thing.

It just seems weird you're asking me to care. Of course, I am of the school of thought that progress is great and starting a new world is an exciting opportunity. Everyone should have to fight for their positon in the mod ecosystem tooth and nail, and then show up at conferences and all get drunk together and have a good time. The game is, after all, friendly.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
But I have yet to actually do more than recipe injection mods, and I am not sure I have the time to do more. So maybe I just don't have the perspective yet. Is there some kind of cautionary tale you'd like to share?

I started modding as a personal project, and for me it's about personal growth as much as making a great mod. If there's a fix that needs to be put in, I want to do it. In the case of Zeldo, I trust him to work within my code structure, he's a phenomenal coder, and we have a good working relationship.

I don't know that there's a cautionary tale here, but the fact is that compared with a lot of mods, the focus we have is on quality and CPU efficiency. I don't want to take the time to slap down every PR I get (and I would), and then be labeled a tyrant. I also don't want there to be a 2 week, or 1 month update period after a Minecraft update and effectively have the mod stolen out from under me. Fact is that I'm a professional practicing engineer and I'm also in the middle of a PhD program - suffice it to say the vast majority of my code happens on weekends.

TL,DR: This started as a personal project. I'm selfish in that respect, but if I leave the community at large, I'll pass it on.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
How about this. (why am I doing this..) All of this is about the mod pack correct? Or a majority of it. Before Elo only had to update her mod. FTB wasn't that big in 1.3. Tekkit was there but still had a bad aura around it. So she was under no pressure to update BECAUSE nothing was hanging on her updating.

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
What's your point? She should be a stand alone since she can't keep up? Yes you're correct.

southernfriedbb

Jul 29, 2019

When do we get to call it dead? To be clear, I want red power in the pack and updated and would hate to see it removed, and I'm in no particular rush to update. But how long do we wait for a response from Eloraam? 6 months? A year? This wouldn't be the first time a mod maker has gone permanently AFK. When is it OK for FTB to drop RP? Or do they have to pull a Technic, and just slap a classic on it?

Reactions: LittleMike

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
No my point is she can do as she pleases. If I remember correctly she was playing on Shdw's lp for a while. She put on a tweet in Feb. For me, again me, that shows she is still active. I am assuming she is in contact with members of the FTB team or other modders. As Enigiums said be patient.
EDIT: I believe it is FTB's call when Elo says it is okay.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I started modding as a personal project, and for me it's about personal growth as much as making a great mod. If there's a fix that needs to be put in, I want to do it. In the case of Zeldo, I trust him to work within my code structure, he's a phenomenal coder, and we have a good working relationship.

I don't know that there's a cautionary tale here, but the fact is that compared with a lot of mods, the focus we have is on quality and CPU efficiency. I don't want to take the time to slap down every PR I get (and I would), and then be labeled a tyrant. I also don't want there to be a 2 week, or 1 month update period after a Minecraft update and effectively have the mod stolen out from under me. Fact is that I'm a professional practicing engineer and I'm also in the middle of a PhD program - suffice it to say the vast majority of my code happens on weekends.

TL,DR: This started as a personal project. I'm selfish in that respect, but if I leave the community at large, I'll pass it on.

Fair enough, and thank you for the time you took responding. I would point out, though, that just because I said "open source" doesn't mean I said, "open code license." :)

I asked the other day about how to do something on a small minecraft dev irc channel and someone said, "Look at how King Lemming does it, that's what I do." So I guess the whole community is kinda wink-wink-nudge-nudge about the subject.

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
When do we get to call it dead? To be clear, I want red power in the pack and updated and would hate to see it removed, and I'm in no particular rush to update. But how long do we wait for a response from Eloraam? 6 months? A year? This wouldn't be the first time a mod maker has gone permanently AFK. When is it OK for FTB to drop RP? Or do they have to pull a Technic, and just slap a classic on it?

This is my exact point. It's only been a month, I'm not saying slap Elo in chains and get her to update RP or be dropped. I'm saying that there needs to be a set of standards each mod author must uphold so that FTB can maintain a certain level of quality of service.

Status
Not open for further replies.