Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
Right, "to not tell the client". The only other entity that *could* tell the client anything is the server. Thus, can the server be persuaded to not tell the client about stuff.

At least, that's how I read it.
He used a double negative and was confusing :p

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Note: I haven't used PiP or seen the code, so what I say may be off

The problem with PiP is that the client is already given the other players location and rotation as long as they are nearby (I imagine the same distance that PiP works in), so you just need the code to give a view of the world rendered from those co-ordinates. Even if from the start PiP was written like
Code:
if(serverSideAllows() && hatersDontHate()) {
  enablePiP()
}
It is simple to bypass
  • Remove the server checking code
  • Stop the server mod being required
  • Change the mod ID so it is not seen as the same mod.
And the exact people you are worried about are the same people not affected.
Are griefers really likely to bother to do that though?

Reactions: YX33A

portablejim

Jul 29, 2019
I'm wondering how not sending the data when they are not looking would affect F5 and the mechanism of players names showing through walls.
It would only take a griefer with a file sharing (e.g. dropbox) account and the means to tell other people the link (forums, youtube clips, etc.)

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
:facepalm:

Guys, can we please keep the discussion to the RED thread, and the updates here? I come here seeing that there are new posts, and see that there is nothing "new".
Good suggestion because I wanted to say this
Give it a temporary name that has nothing to do with the mod's theme and focus.
I think it should be Michael's Magic Coremod

Reactions: YX33A and Mevansuto

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Coming soon to a mod near you!

Vn6Ujua.png

VH8SaI3.png

somehow my wallet is empty but I'm still throwing money at my monitor o_O

Well this is is her third or fourth week giving tweet updates already

has it already been that long? :eek:

Reactions: buggirlexpres

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.

Personally I can't see griefers using it anyway; its more an intrusion/violation rather than an unfair gameplay advantage.
Given that player position/rotation is sent to the client- there's other client sided mods that can track player positions in ways 'useful' to griefers.
[Actually I can see server admins using this to keep and eye on potential griefers]

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Personally I can't see griefers using it anyway; its more an intrusion/violation rather than an unfair gameplay advantage.
Given that player position/rotation is sent to the client- there's other client sided mods that can track player positions in ways 'useful' to griefers.
[Actually I can see server admins using this to keep and eye on potential griefers]

If it could work from an unlimited distance maybe. But you have to be in a relatively close distance. To see anything.