Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
If you're judging anything by looks, you aren't going to survive in this community for very long.
To be honest with you, I think I kind of get what he means.

There actually isn't a huge difference between what I think of as the Reika Core, and GT, philosophically. They're both high-tech, end-game mods with a lot of complexity and crafting steps. The biggest difference is in the modder's outlook.

I definitely like Reika's mods far more than Greg's, especially since Reika manages to make his systems so viscerally satisfying when you finally get them working perfectly, but I find the concept behind both to be quite similar.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
They're both high-tech, end-game mods with a lot of complexity and crafting steps.

I agree with everything except this (specifically just the bolded part). I don't know how GT is in 1.6, the last time I used it was 1.5, but RotaryCraft isn't as late game as people think. I started using it in my world as soon as I had about a stack of iron ore; I didn't have a power system from another mod created, hadn't gotten into TiCo, etc. I haven't had any problems using it for my early and mid game.

ReactorCraft and ElectriCraft fit that late game description though, but I don't see how RotaryCraft does.

KaosRitual

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with everything except this (specifically just the bolded part). I don't know how GT is in 1.6, the last time I used it was 1.5, but RotaryCraft isn't as late game as people think. I started using it in my world as soon as I had about a stack of iron ore; I didn't have a power system from another mod created, hadn't gotten into TiCo, etc. I haven't had any problems using it for my early and mid game.

ReactorCraft and ElectriCraft fit that late game description though, but I don't see how RotaryCraft does.
As far as I know, RotaryCraft has one of the most early-game production methods of steel, also.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario

100% agree. People tend to use RoC later-game because they primarily access it via Monster or Horizons, which have early-game blocks and tools they're more familiar with. They can use TE3 pipes and machines to essentially skip RoC tiers and get to the ones they really want to use (such as the Extractor).

There's no problems with this; frankly, TE3 pipes are way more friendly and aesthetic than the native RoC ones, and its machines are easier to power and understand. But it does push back one's access to the mod into later phases.

As a tiny bit of a mitigating factor on this issue, at least the magnetostatic engine tiering sort of forces people to learn a bit more about that mod.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
a lot has changed in Gregtech, I mean... he has a bronze age nowadays. So I wouldn't say GT is necessarily "endgame" anymore, or even late game. You can start it a lot earlier. As early as Rotarycraft? Probably not, but that's splitting hairs.

Reactions: Padfoote and Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
a lot has changed in Gregtech, I mean... he has a bronze age nowadays. So I wouldn't say GT is necessarily "endgame" anymore, or even late game. You can start it a lot earlier. As early as Rotarycraft? Probably not, but that's splitting hairs.
I wanna see both mods combined in an ultra-difficult modpack. Not survival-difficult but resource/advancement difficult.

Reactions: YX33A and Padfoote

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
If you find RoC/ReC greggy, you're doing it wrong.
Agreed.

I just love that in Reika's thread, the thread derailing typically involves physics of nuclear reactors or something similar.
This is one of my favorite things about it, too.

I'm just mildly amused that, of everyone here, Reika's math doesn't add up.

Blame a mix of rushing and not being a math expert in the first place.

I'm assuming if it has 'do not post this to the forum thread', it has detected one or more mods that you have explicitly stated are non-compatible with your mod?
No, things like ID conflicts, missing mods, stupid config settings (eg the StupidIDException thrown for item/block IDs > 1 million), that sort of thing.

Reactions: YX33A

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
ReactorCraft and ElectriCraft fit that late game description though, but I don't see how RotaryCraft does.[/quote]
Sorry, that's my fault on not defining things properly; RoC is very quick to get into, although I would argue that many of its higher functions take a lot of effort to reach, at least since the Magnetostatic changes.

I define "end-game" based primarily on what a mod can do. And to be fair, Jet Fuel does not come easy, and without an outside power source, you'll need it to get to the later stuff. GT has (or had) a BC Fuel-burning generator, this does not mean the mod on the whole is not intended as end-game content.

That being said, a few of the more significant features of RoC: ore quintupling. Unbreakable bedrock armour and tools. Actual bedrock breaking. Potentially the strongest weapon in the game. Somewhat ludicrously powerful base defenses. I could go on.

It's mostly just a personal definition, but it's the sort of mod that I spend a long time working on and with after my base is already well-established because it is very fun, very in depth, very powerful. Whatever its ease of entry, it's an end-game mod to me.

On a side note, I'm a little surprised, Reika. I always supposed you were some variety of physicist or engineer when you weren't making mods and they (and programmers too) are usually very mathy people. Your mods certainly twist my brain sometimes ;)

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Edit to add: My roomates dad visited recently, he's a retired physicist . He tried to inform me that there is no way engineers or physicists would play video games. That was news to me.
That's special. Did he enjoy being out from under his rock on Mars?

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
That's special. Did he enjoy being out from under his rock on Mars?

He's a nice guy. Just rather set in his belief system. I don' even remember what I said that set him off. But he was all "Wait if you were discussing xyz with someone they would have to be a physicist or engineer, and they don't play video games" I was all... "umm no most of them code for video games which I suppose isn't quite the same". It was very odd.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
He's a nice guy. Just rather set in his belief system. I don' even remember what I said that set him off. But he was all "Wait if you were discussing xyz with someone they would have to be a physicist or engineer, and they don't play video games" I was all... "umm no most of them code for video games which I suppose isn't quite the same". It was very odd.
It sounds like it. I suppose I have some elderly relatives who are equally set in outdated ways.

Oh, side note, I think we need a Reika Kerbal Space Program Let's Play.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
It sounds like it. I suppose I have some elderly relatives who are equally set in outdated ways.

Oh, side note, I think we need a Reika Kerbal Space Program Let's Play.

I already reached "endgame" (space station orbiting the pluto analogue). In fact, KSP delayed the first RC release by a month back in Feb 2013. ;)