Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Since we've got some nice dev feedback, is there a method or source that you guys would prefer feedback?
It seems to vary by author, but as far as I have seen, almost every dev indicates their preferred vehicle and venue in their forum thread.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Reactions: RedBoss

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
The problem with feedback is the 'noise to useful' ratio. Most of the time, what they get is 'noise', or completely worthless. "This sucks!", "Dude, awesome!", and other such phrases. They include no constructive criticism or feedback, it's just someone voicing an opinion.

This is why some mod authors use a smaller beta testing group which is more likely to produce more relevant and constructive feedback that is immediately useful.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Quick, someone write a mod to filter signal noise from comments. Might as well solve this the same way we solve everything else.

Reactions: YX33A

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
The problem with feedback is the 'noise to useful' ratio. Most of the time, what they get is 'noise', or completely worthless. "This sucks!", "Dude, awesome!", and other such phrases. They include no constructive criticism or feedback, it's just someone voicing an opinion.

This is why some mod authors use a smaller beta testing group which is more likely to produce more relevant and constructive feedback that is immediately useful.
My forum thread - to some people's great surprise - is actually about 80% useful, 20% questions, and 10% noise (which as far as I am concerned, includes crashlogs starting with "Do not post this to the forum thread").

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
My forum thread - to some people's great surprise - is actually about 80% useful, 20% questions, and 10% noise (which as far as I am concerned, includes crashlogs starting with "Do not post this to the forum thread").
Sengir was reporting the opposite numbers, about 10% useful, with the rest noise. Then again, I suppose it also depends on your definition of 'noise' is. So yea, color me impressed and surprised.

I'm assuming if it has 'do not post this to the forum thread', it has detected one or more mods that you have explicitly stated are non-compatible with your mod?

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
I like this phrasing. I get quite a bit of both kinds of criticism, and can confirm that legitimate constructive criticism (suggesting improvements to features, etc) are fairly easy to deal with, but "this mod sucks"/"if you like fun remove this mod" kind of comments are very discouraging.
I swear on my life that 3/4 of any "criticism" is "You should add this thing because it'd be cool even though it really has no purpose!" Any time I say "I'm thinking about this feature, what do you guys think?" there's a mass respons of "I like it!" and a suggestion or two that really doesn't add any purpose to the discussion.
Since we've got some nice dev feedback, is there a method or source that you guys would prefer feedback?
Honestly, posts on my thread are the best. I always get it and other people can pitch in their two cents if they want. It's a good way to get feedback as long as people are willing to add to the discussion.
Something seems a bit suspicious about these numbers ;)

He's 110% done. He literally can't even.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
Well, as I'm sure you've all heard, the Modjam 4 results were announced. I was quite happy that Electromagnetic Coherence got first in Overall Excellence (it was my favorite), but I was sorta curious on how iChun's mod won for Aesthetically Pleasing. What's aesthetically pleasing about a giant pig falling from the sky and causing general destruction?

Sent from my Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System using Tapatalk

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Well, as I'm sure you've all heard, the Modjam 4 results were announced. I was quite happy that Electromagnetic Coherence got first in Overall Excellence (it was my favorite), but I was sorta curious on how iChun's mod won for Aesthetically Pleasing. What's aesthetically pleasing about a giant pig falling from the sky and causing general destruction?
Well, I certainly find that aesthetically pleasing. Takes me back to the Worms games, or a few Shiny titles.

That being said, I have to agree that it kind of misses the whole point of the award, although being some form of artistic expression is about all it can be defined as.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
I just love that in Reika's thread, the thread derailing typically involves physics of nuclear reactors or something similar.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019

Sent from my Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System using Tapatalk
There is nothing more aestheticallly pleasing than a giant pink block growing a body with legs and a big nose. The effects as it came flying down were pretty cool imo.
That, and nothing else was particularly good looking. I mean, electromagnetic Coherence didn't look too bad, but nothing else stuck its eye out as "pleasing"

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
The aesthetics come in part by the transformation from giant space rock to pigzilla. And part from the beautiful block scattering As it crashes and moves around.
You didn't think aesthetics were just static imagery did you?

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
I'm surprised Elemental Caves didn't win Aesthetically Pleasing. It looked one hell of a lot better than iChun's mod, IMO, which while hilarious is mostly a slightly prettier meteor mod with a giant pig.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Incidentally, the technical graphics ability demonstrated in IFFTS was stunning, all due credit to @iChun

It's just not what I think of when I hear "aesthetic" and of course everyone is going to interpret that a little differently.

I will also say that, while many of them are... clearly not of premium quality... with over 300 submissions, it's sometimes a little disappointing to see a few mods sweep most of the categories.