Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
You can read about it in this link and have visuals. http://imgur.com/a/I7Hcd
Suffice to say that items like the magnum torch and ender quarry now have to be crafted via the qed. The QED requires a BC laser type infrastructure that is slow. Even with a lot of them, the crafting is described as slow. It definitely adds tedium and narrow focused infrastructure to existing items. It also adds time as a gating factor.

I know the system will most likely be used for crafting new items, but I'm not a fan of systems like this.
The conversion of RF PER NODE will be slow. With many nodes, one presumes the overall influx of ender energy will be sufficient for speed, but... yeah. I'm not finding the QED attractive unless the recipes it crafts are correspondingly simplified.

Reactions: RedBoss

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
The conversion of RF PER NODE will be slow. With many nodes, one presumes the overall influx of ender energy will be sufficient for speed, but... yeah. I'm not finding the QED attractive unless the recipes it crafts are correspondingly simplified.
There's configs to bypass QED crafting. So that's something.

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
True, but with how few people actually look at configs (and fewer who know how to edit them), I doubt it's even worth having.
There's the new mod options gui that is added into forge/FML for 1.7 (not sure if it is functional); unfortunately most config changes are things that need to be loaded at the very beginning of runtime... I think.

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
There's the new mod options gui that is added into forge/FML for 1.7 (not sure if it is functional); unfortunately most config changes are things that need to be loaded at the very beginning of runtime... I think.
I'm pretty sure that as long as you aren't changing what things load (like which modules are available and so on), you should be good.

Reactions: YX33A

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
I'm pretty sure that as long as you aren't changing what things load (like which modules are available and so on), you should be good.
But anything such as a recipe registry, or an item enabling/tweak is either done in pre-init or init. Most config options that I can think of do need to take place then. It would be really cool if it could be used to update the config files for the next game launch, probably possible but a pain if the things aren't tied together.
It's a shame that people don't generally know what to do with config file because the system in place for us to use them is actually very easy to use and makes options very easy to implement. Still haven't really wrapped my head around what happens with server/client mismatches though... anyone care to enlighten me?

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
True, but with how few people actually look at configs (and fewer who know how to edit them), I doubt it's even worth having.
This is what pack configs are for. My issue is that he didn't take to kindly for folks asking for the addition of the QED and it's parts being added to what you can turn off aswell. ;p

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
This is what pack configs are for. My issue is that he didn't take to kindly for folks asking for the addition of the QED and it's parts being added to what you can turn off aswell. ;p
It's understandable. You work hard to add something you think is worthwhile to your mod and people want to completely ignore it.

The flip side is that if you actually care about the opinions of your user base, then you have to objectively look at that as feedback. In a real way, only people that like using your mod will complain about drastic changes.

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
It's understandable. You work hard to add something you think is worthwhile to your mod and people want to completely ignore it.

The flip side is that if you actually care about the opinions of your user base, then you have to objectively look at that as feedback. In a real way, only people that like using your mod will complain about drastic changes.

^^ I like how you phrased this. Now I know why I don't like the fact that @mDiyo is mucking with the oreberries.... If it ain't broken in the first place, don't you bloody go trying to fix it man!

Reactions: YX33A and RedBoss

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019

This So much so.. I can appreciate the effort, but criticism is important when tightening and refining things. I hate it when someone takes a criticism and turns it into something big and discouraging...

Reactions: YX33A and RedBoss

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
This So much so.. I can appreciate the effort, but criticism is important when tightening and refining things. I hate it when someone takes a criticism and turns it into something big and discouraging...
Time to break out the feels.
Taking criticism isn't as easy as it sounds. Some people just can't take it well. I'd like to think that I take criticism pretty damn well and even then it's still discouraging to hear it sometimes. I'll poured hours of work and effort into something, trying to make it perfect, only for it to end up considered mediocre at best. It crushes you. It's one of those "Did I just waste all this time for nothing? Why even bother?" moments. Nobody likes, nobody wants to experience it again. It kind of makes you want to quit. It's why people ask for constructive criticism so much. When people just slam a mod, even if it deserves to be slammed, it kills the author.

Alternatively, hearing people praise your work, saying how fantastic something you've worked hard on, it's a great feeling. It makes you want to just spend the rest of your day dedicated to working, going for that satisfaction of doing something amazing. It's not something that can be easily described. It's something you have to experience yourself.

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
*snip*

I know what you mean there. It's also the frame of mind. On a good day, you can handle everything that's thrown at you. On other days, it's the last straw! Having said all that, in general, my mantra is, if I don't have something nice to say about a topic, I don't say anything at all! :)

However, on that note, I definitely agree with what @RedBoss said about making drastic changes too... ;)

Last edited:

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
Taking criticism isn't as easy as it sounds. Some people just can't take it well. I'd like to think that I take criticism pretty damn well and even then it's still discouraging to hear it sometimes. I'll poured hours of work and effort into something, trying to make it perfect, only for it to end up considered mediocre at best. It crushes you. It's one of those "Did I just waste all this time for nothing? Why even bother?" moments. Nobody likes, nobody wants to experience it again. It kind of makes you want to quit. It's why people ask for constructive criticism so much. When people just slam a mod, even if it deserves to be slammed, it kills the author.

Alternatively, hearing people praise your work, saying how fantastic something you've worked hard on, it's a great feeling. It makes you want to just spend the rest of your day dedicated to working, going for that satisfaction of doing something amazing. It's not something that can be easily described. It's something you have to experience yourself.
But at the very same time, so long as it's constructive, it may sting, but the intent behind it is good, and you still have an opinion in the matter. If that was your intent and if that is what you enjoy, you are free to tell them you do not agree. I do however recognize a large scale of criticism intends to be a course to discourage, inwhich I do apologies for that flack.

But when someone takes the time to look into the matter, and point out what they like, and dislike, and pull out an example in order to be informative, It should tell you that they do care, and they do support the effort put in. They enjoy the thought and the idea behind it, and want to work with you to make something that can be a better experience... Of course you can't please all the people, but if you can get it to a point where you can enjoy your work along side a greater majority, isn't it worth the sting of a small opinion?

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
I feel that part of the problem is, for every rational, well.thought-out opinion, you get three people saying something along the lines of "This sucks! You suck! Sucking is a thing that is happening in this vicinity!"

This can get a bit discouraging, even when the polite ones are more gently trying to tell you the same thing, to the point that one just chooses to take their ball and go home.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
But at the very same time, so long as it's constructive, it may sting, but the intent behind it is good, and you still have an opinion in the matter. If that was your intent and if that is what you enjoy, you are free to tell them you do not agree. I do however recognize a large scale of criticism intends to be a course to discourage, inwhich I do apologies for that flack.

But when someone takes the time to look into the matter, and point out what they like, and dislike, and pull out an example in order to be informative, It should tell you that they do care, and they do support the effort put in. They enjoy the thought and the idea behind it, and want to work with you to make something that can be a better experience... Of course you can't please all the people, but if you can get it to a point where you can enjoy your work along side a greater majority, isn't it worth the sting of a small opinion?
It's always worth the sting. I fully suport criticism and actual mod reviews were people look at every aspect of a mod and how it flows together with itself and any dependencies it has. It gives modders the abilty to create something better than what they already have, it's almost always worth it in the end. I honestly wish people would give my mod a bit mor flack so that I could get an honest opinion of what people think of it.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com

I like this phrasing. I get quite a bit of both kinds of criticism, and can confirm that legitimate constructive criticism (suggesting improvements to features, etc) are fairly easy to deal with, but "this mod sucks"/"if you like fun remove this mod" kind of comments are very discouraging.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
I have to think too, from my own experiences, that a big part of the problem (at least in the Western world) is that we don't really teach people how to handle criticism growing up. Especially when it comes to creative endeavours. Handling criticism of any sort has always been one of my biggest challenges; I don't want to go into too much detail, but my upbringing and education didn't prepare me for it.

When it comes down to it, most of the time when we are growing up we either receive unwarranted praise for our creative efforts or unconstructive criticism.

Creative classes are usually optional by the time that you're in high school, and prior to that point, teachers don't specialize in the arts and follow and "A for Effort" mentality. Sure, if you're writing a story you might lose marks for technical issues (spelling and grammar) but you aren't judged on content. Not colouring within the lines is judged, but drawing really bad pictures, not so much. Every kid gets told how wonderful their crayon drawing is, and maybe praise is important, but my mother also took the opportunity to help me improve and I think that's equally important.

The flip side of this is unconstructive criticism. Anyone who grew up with a less-than-perfect parent will recognize this one, or, for that matter, anyone who went to school with more than one other kid. And occasionally less-than-perfect teachers; I could tell stories. The point is, until at least high school, most of the criticism we do receive is purely negative; see the treatise a few posts back on uses of the verb "to suck".

The internet has made this a lot worse. People online are extremely cliquey and randomly abusive. Fan fiction is a great example of this; most fan fiction is bad, but "reviews" of fan fiction are either gushing enthusiasm from other fans, or extreme negativity from... well, everyone else (to the point where I've seen budding authors told to go kill themselves. Multiple times.) DeviantArt is another good example here. There are very few opportunities in this day and age to get an honest opinion of your creative talent... and I'll just slip in here that many programmers and/or gamers are not socially well-adjusted. We tend not to interact with people more than necessary, and almost never outside of our comfort zone, and we don't get an opportunity to build up the bit of a thick skin necessary to receiving and incorporating feedback. I've seen many people say very nasty things to game designers, mod authors, etc, but I've also seen many of those same game designers and mod authors being very nasty and entitled right back at people. Neither is right, but you know what they say about two wrongs....

I don't really have a strong ending for this, so instead, I'm going to leave this here: http://www.cracked.com/article_15231_7-reasons-21st-century-making-you-miserable.html

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I have to think too, from my own experiences, that a big part of the problem (at least in the Western world) is that we don't really teach people how to handle criticism growing up. Especially when it comes to creative endeavours. Handling criticism of any sort has always been one of my biggest challenges; I don't want to go into too much detail, but my upbringing and education didn't prepare me for it.

When it comes down to it, most of the time when we are growing up we either receive unwarranted praise for our creative efforts or unconstructive criticism.

Creative classes are usually optional by the time that you're in high school, and prior to that point, teachers don't specialize in the arts and follow and "A for Effort" mentality. Sure, if you're writing a story you might lose marks for technical issues (spelling and grammar) but you aren't judged on content. Not colouring within the lines is judged, but drawing really bad pictures, not so much. Every kid gets told how wonderful their crayon drawing is, and maybe praise is important, but my mother also took the opportunity to help me improve and I think that's equally important.

The flip side of this is unconstructive criticism. Anyone who grew up with a less-than-perfect parent will recognize this one, or, for that matter, anyone who went to school with more than one other kid. And occasionally less-than-perfect teachers; I could tell stories. The point is, until at least high school, most of the criticism we do receive is purely negative; see the treatise a few posts back on uses of the verb "to suck".

The internet has made this a lot worse. People online are extremely cliquey and randomly abusive. Fan fiction is a great example of this; most fan fiction is bad, but "reviews" of fan fiction are either gushing enthusiasm from other fans, or extreme negativity from... well, everyone else (to the point where I've seen budding authors told to go kill themselves. Multiple times.) DeviantArt is another good example here. There are very few opportunities in this day and age to get an honest opinion of your creative talent... and I'll just slip in here that many programmers and/or gamers are not socially well-adjusted. We tend not to interact with people more than necessary, and almost never outside of our comfort zone, and we don't get an opportunity to build up the bit of a thick skin necessary to receiving and incorporating feedback. I've seen many people say very nasty things to game designers, mod authors, etc, but I've also seen many of those same game designers and mod authors being very nasty and entitled right back at people. Neither is right, but you know what they say about two wrongs....

I don't really have a strong ending for this, so instead, I'm going to leave this here: http://www.cracked.com/article_15231_7-reasons-21st-century-making-you-miserable.html
Citing cracked to prove a point in the MC modding community. I thought only I did that. :p

On topic, I mostly agree.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Since we've got some nice dev feedback, is there a method or source that you guys would prefer feedback?