Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Bear in mind too that what you're calling "TiC steel" is actually the process from Tinker's Steelworks, a mod for TiC which is not, in any way, made by mDiyo.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

That's kinda important. I thought that it was mDiyo's extension into Steel, I did not realize it was a different person's doings.

Oh. That's different. Never mind.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
So I was about to make a magnum torch in my 1.7 world and ran into a snag. There's this new block called the Q. E. D. And you need to use it to assemble the magnum torch now. It's used to assemble other things now and there's ender engine (can't remember the name) blocks that power it. You need lots of them to speed things along.

I'm not a fan. It feels like IC2 Exp with the excessive machines that block the crafting of items that never were that complicated to craft. The magnum torch doesn't do anything new either. It's a minor quibble mind you but after dropping a few diamonds and ender pearls just to get the QED, I had to do more research into how to work the thing. I was not pleased.

I don't mind the thing being more expensive, but more crafting is not wanted. More machines for crafting is why I'm not using buildcraft lasers. The magnum torch was already annoying to craft with the nested crafting needs and potion brewing. *sigh*

Reactions: Padfoote

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
So I was about to make a magnum torch in my 1.7 world and ran into a snag. There's this new block called the Q. E. D. And you need to use it to assemble the magnum torch now. It's used to assemble other things now and there's ender engine (can't remember the name) blocks that power it. You need lots of them to speed things along.

I'm not a fan. It feels like IC2 Exp with the excessive machines that block the crafting of items that never were that complicated to craft. The magnum torch doesn't do anything new either. It's a minor quibble mind you but after dropping a few diamonds and ender pearls just to get the QED, I had to do more research into how to work the thing. I was not pleased.

I don't mind the thing being more expensive, but more crafting is not wanted. More machines for crafting is why I'm not using buildcraft lasers. The magnum torch was already annoying to craft with the nested crafting needs and potion brewing. *sigh*
I think I'll find a new machine to be a relief compared to brewing those potions, however complex it may be. Vanilla brewing is a pain in the arsht.

Reactions: YX33A

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I think I'll find a new machine to be a relief compared to brewing those potions, however complex it may be. Vanilla brewing is a pain in the arsht.

Its fine except for the fact that water bottles and awkward potions look the same. I can't count the number of times I infused a ghast tear into a water bottle. Oh well, I guess that's why they call it awkward.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
No, the recipe didn't change. You still have to brew the potions. The difference is that instead of popping the potions and chandeliers in a crafting table to get the torch, you have to put them in the QED, supply extra utilities power, and wait to get the torch.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
No, the recipe didn't change. You still have to brew the potions. The difference is that instead of popping the potions and chandeliers in a crafting table to get the torch, you have to put them in the QED, supply extra utilities power, and wait to get the torch.
Don't mind that idea for the Ender themed stuff that EU is going down, but a chandelier? That's crazy.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Don't mind that idea for the Ender themed stuff that EU is going down, but a chandelier? That's crazy.
Yes, I reminds me of the crafting tomfoolery that IC2 Exp added. Same old items but now with more machines and time. I agree that it's cool for new content. I'd accept it for new content.

Another doubt I have is that it seems the best way to use this new system is to spam ender engines. It's sort of how buildcraft lasers are only good if you use a stack of them. I'm not planning on using BC due to things like that. I don't really want it in a mod that I find useful. There's configs to bypass it. I kinda think many people will disable the QED outside of new items.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, I reminds me of the crafting tomfoolery that IC2 Exp added. Same old items but now with more machines and time. I agree that it's cool for new content. I'd accept it for new content.

Another doubt I have is that it seems the best way to use this new system is to spam ender engines. It's sort of how buildcraft lasers are only good if you use a stack of them. I'm not planning on using BC due to things like that. I don't really want it in a mod that I find useful. There's configs to bypass it. I kinda think many people will disable the QED outside of new items.
I think what bugged me about all this was "New energy system". I realize 1.7 TE3 is still a work in progress, but just when we finally had, more or less, a standard...

Reactions: RedBoss

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
It's not even a new energy system, it's just a knockoff of BC lasers that run on RF.
Well, I will say this, then; I drastically prefer systems like that, which add a real time constraint and scalable speed, to systems that extend the process by increasing clicks-per-item (see: any mod with a secondary crafting tool like a hammer to make plates, or any mod that adds a large number of "make a component of a component of a component of the item you want" steps)

RT constraints are another example of mistaking tedium for difficulty, but they do save my wrists, my mouse and my sanity.

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
Hay now undead abominations are people to.
Note to self suggest baby skeleton mobs. And non hostile zombie villages. That you can trade with.
Actually, that's not a bad idea. Maybe I'll put them into Mighty Fermentation. Betcha some players will kill all the zombies on the spot and lose their chance for new yeasts and fungi!

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
I only play singleplayer, partly for the reason that nearly every server I have played on - and was not the admin of - ultimately banned me or the methods I was using (including things like redstone) for "being OP".
I have never played modded servers, and do not plan to, especially considering every server admin that sees my SSP world says "if you built that on the server, I would delete it all for being laggy".
You make a server, and I'll be glad to play on it. I can't promise a lot of presence, but hey. It's something.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, that's not a bad idea. Maybe I'll put them into Mighty Fermentation. Betcha some players will kill all the zombies on the spot and lose their chance for new yeasts and fungi!
Some players I know consider anything that moves to be fair game for slaughter. Ticked me off so bad on the 1.5 server, we invited a couple of friends on and they proceeded to massacre half the nearby villages for no good reason.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
we invited a couple of friends on and they proceeded to massacre half the nearby villages for no good reason.
Reason #576 not to play multiplayer...

You make a server, and I'll be glad to play on it. I can't promise a lot of presence, but hey. It's something.
My internet is too slow to host.

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
Some players I know consider anything that moves to be fair game for slaughter. Ticked me off so bad on the 1.5 server, we invited a couple of friends on and they proceeded to massacre half the nearby villages for no good reason.
"Look! It's a thing! A THING! Killit! KILLIT! YAAAH!!"

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019

You could always give "monster" buffs to neutral undead mobs in there home towns. Have them only take one point of damage per attack no mater what. And hit like a golem. Like they have a sort of super beacon some where.
And for that mater give them zombi golems as well. Fast ones that respawn in an instant. With lazers. :p One per house or two.

Seriously I like the idea of neutral zombies being way more advanced and powerful than any normal player or mob. It makes a lot of since. After all they are effectively immortal. They would naturally have had more time to advance themselves. They could have defenses or at least walls. Muli story houses. Cellers. Oh and bathrooms. No one ever makes bathrooms (Toilets). And beds to. You could make beds in a town equal the number of mobs in the town. Much better than using doors.

Edit: And you could make a black list for villagers. So that harming one villager warns them all. As if they could communicate with each other.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
"Look! It's a thing! A THING! Killit! KILLIT! YAAAH!!"
They said something about getting free stuff early-game. At that point I was just too busy shaking my head to say anything, as they encouraged a friend of theirs to test his new mining laser on the local village.

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
Let's not get into Inverted Tropes... someone might link to that website and we'd all get sucked into the temporospatial event horizon.

only half? you lucked out, or did you ban them before they could complete the genocide?

Let's not get into Inverted Tropes... someone might link to that website and we'd all get sucked into the temporospatial event horizon.
too late, I found the site a while bad, and someone already linked.
ran out of stuff relevant to my likes last week.
now I will merely only lose the occasional two hour block to it when I find something new to look up instead of 7 hours for several days straight.
that evil overlord list though. . .