Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Bevo

Jul 29, 2019
Main problem is a lot of said people can't tolerate differing opinions.
*snipped quote*
If someone is intolerant of an opinion I have the problem lies with them not me. I'm always happy to hear what someone has to say, but from my experience the moment someone goes from expressing an opinion to forcing an opinion it is time to extract myself from the conversations. It will never go anywhere, and I have better things to do. Like AgSkies! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: John.E and Padfoote

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
If someone is intolerant of an opinion I have the problem lies with them not me.
This is true.... sometimes. It is usually true where gaming is concerned. But contrary to popular belief, opinions are a privilege, not a right and it's eminently worth keeping in mind that yes, our opinions can be incorrect.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/myth-pack.46111/
Welp, someone wants to make a pack. Anyone wish to help me explain modpack perms to him?
If someone is intolerant of an opinion I have the problem lies with them not me. From my experience the moment someone goes from expressing an opinion to forcing an opinion it is time to extract myself from the conversations. It will never go anywhere, and I have better things to do. Like AgSkies! :D
Meh, personally I don't like AgSkies, I have to add a ton of mods and then someone complains that I'm not using the "official pack".

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Meh, personally I don't like AgSkies, I have to add a ton of mods and then someone complains that I'm not using the "official pack".
Well, because it's only meant for what it already has ;) But it's ok not to like it.

AgSkies has a very specific theme, and it's absolutely not for everyone.

Oh, and just direct him to the thread which explains how third-party packs work.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Well, because it's only meant for what it already has ;) But it's ok not to like it.

AgSkies has a very specific theme, and it's absolutely not for everyone.

Oh, and just direct him to the thread which explains how third-party packs work.

Well, they certianly don't qualify as OP. There's EIO, which is about the same difficulty level as the map, and there's RoC, which is harder.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
OP is different for everyone, and really as an arbitrary concept is fairly ridiculous. For example, a definitive statement 'that mod is OP' is completely ludicrous without having something to compare it to. It's only when you start getting into mod interaction that you start getting into OP.

For example, let's use one from a while back... "Equivalent Exchange 2 is OP!". As a statement by itself, this is fairly meaningless because there is nothing to compare it to. However, the statement "EE2 is ruining the balance in x mod pack, it is totally OP there!" might well have merit, because now you have a declared 'balance' of power for it to be in excess of. It is at least a point which CAN be debated. The former cannot, because we have no clue where the litmus test of power level lies.

Remember: For something to be 'over powered', it needs to be compared to an average power level.

As far as the previous discussion on copyright... I prefer to think of it in terms of politeness rather than legality. Legality aside, if a mod author doesn't want you distributing it without his permission, it is just plain rude to then do so. Forget about suing, forget about 'legal action', forget about EULA's and all that jazz. If the creator of something has asked that you ask to use it, then it is rude to just jack it.

Some people use GNU, open sourced, or otherwise 'free to use, free to distribute' disclaimers. For those, it's cool, they've actively told you they're fine with it.

Some people want to reserve their distribution rights. Why they want to doesn't really matter. There are some legitimate reasons, there are some less than legitimate reasons, but that's really aside from the point I'm trying to make here. They made it, they should be able to make a polite request.

Maybe they're wanting to keep track of download numbers to see how popular it is. Perhaps they don't want their mod in a mod pack with another mod that either directly conflicts with it or has some other unintentional synergy or whatever. Perhaps they are just plain greedy and want the adf.ly revenue (all five bucks of it). Regardless of the reason, to my mind, it doesn't matter. If they say 'get permission before redistributing', and you don't, that puts the egg on your face, and any rationalizations are completely irrelevant. Don't like it? Don't use the mod in your mod pack. Or, tell people 'hey, if you really like this mod, I've included a config file in the download, but you're going to have to download it and drop it into the mods folder yourself. Or use the ATLauncher that pretty much does that for you (it'll bring up the download website or adf.ly link for the mod to download manually). But distributing a mod after the author asks you not to? Party foul. Uncool.

Just my two cents.

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
Stay on target...this topic is wandering through some dicey territory. Proceed with caution, and know when to drop a subject. Don't make me come back here in this color.
Be Nice.​

Reactions: Padfoote

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
Welp, someone wants to make a pack. Anyone wish to help me explain modpack perms to him?

I honestly hate modpack perms for modpacks.. I make way to many packs to try out with friends to bother rounding up and talking with every modder for every new attempt at something interesting... I understand why it exists... And I respect them for the work they put in... But it's a right pain in the arse, that leads to some hierarchy of launchers.

If we had more launchers like ATL that just send you to the download, it would be so much nicer, and allow for a bit more variety on modpacks to be completely honest.

I thought about maybe just doing a .. what was the name.... tumble pack? Basically a modpack with a list of mods to download, and then a set of configs for the players to use... But honestly I know that i'd be annoyed with downloading every mod bit by bit...

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, I gotta quit work, gone for a day and this is what I come back to!? ;)
The talk about permissions and "DRM" and server owners taking advantage of human misery is now to be considered "kicking a dead horse" and I think we can all agree that enough info has been passed around that we can either respectfully agree or disagree with one another and make informed decisions for ourselves. If any of this legitimately comes up in recent discussions we may return to it in a careful manner, until then... nope :p
But honestly I know that i'd be annoyed with downloading every mod bit by bit...
You would hate to come face to face with my mods folder in MultiMC (I am a frequent jenkins build server visitor).

I thank everyone for keeping a cool head in discussions and not letting it degrade into arguing (too frequently). I do ask that names not be thrown around when pointing out anything negative. An action can be explained in vague enough terms that people both understand what is being communicated as well as we avoid anyone getting burnt.

When there exists a difference of opinions, it is fine to discuss things and to keep everyone informed, however there gets to be a point where:
  • Nothing new is being shared (stuff doesn't need to be rehashed over and over)
  • We need to understand the idea of To Each His Own (people play the game they wish to play) - I may drop this into discussion down the road as reminder :)
Although most of the moderator posting has been to just remind us that discussion is being watched and that we are expected to follow certain boundaries (regarding such things as respect), I would appreciate it if we can try to keep this from happening too much in the future ;)

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Kinda wish you did. It takes a very specific sort of mind to be THAT obtuse and it's funny to watch.

You want me to do this? It's not hard, because it's NOT like how it works... in of that it's simplified. And the universe is small enough that one can have a "grand tour" of everywhere in the universe(currently), planets, and moons, and be back at the KSP before a year is done.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
You want me to do this? It's not hard, because it's NOT like how it works... in of that it's simplified. And the universe is small enough that one can have a "grand tour" of everywhere in the universe(currently), planets, and moons, and be back at the KSP before a year is done.
Sorry, wrong form of "you" there. Sort of wish *one* did see this. It's not funny when it's deliberate.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Stay on target...this topic is wandering through some dicey territory. Proceed with caution, and know when to drop a subject. Don't make me come back here in this color.
Be Nice.​
I honestly don't see anything inflammatory. People are even apologizing. I'm not trying to be inflammatory myself but every time I see you guys post stuff like this, I just stop replying to the topic. What's the infraction? Conversations naturally digress. Outside of seeing what you mods may or may not have deleted, what do logical people have to use as a guide for what you actually mean by this statement?

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
I honestly don't see anything inflammatory. People are even apologizing. I'm not trying to be inflammatory myself but every time I see you guys post stuff like this, I just stop replying to the topic. What's the infraction? Conversations naturally digress. Outside of seeing what you mods may or may not have deleted, what do logical people have to use as a guide for what you actually mean by this statement?

The fact that you don't see anything inflammatory means I've done my job correctly. ;)

Mostly, the Be Nice warnings are a reminder to use common sense and think twice before posting something that could provoke fighting.