Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
My main problem with arguments of "OP" in MC: It's a sandbox game, so everyone has their own idea of balance, their preferred cost/benefit ratios being different. Thus, there is no 'official' balance, and everyone tosses around their own idea of balance, attempting to enforce it.
I think that this is one of the four main sources of the drama in the modded community.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Well, the other three are the open-endedness of MC (resulting in every kind of mod you can imagine, and the ensuing incompatibilities, exploits, and conflicts), the fact a lot of mod devs are professional programmers that have very strong opinions on how things "should" be done (code or otherwise, and not helped by the fact still follow programming paradigms set in the 1980s), and the demographics of the game.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Well, the other three are the open-endedness of MC (resulting in every kind of mod you can imagine, and the ensuing incompatibilities, exploits, and conflicts), the fact a lot of mod devs are professional programmers that have very strong opinions on how things "should" be done (code or otherwise, and not helped by the fact still follow programming paradigms set in the 1980s), and the demographics of the game.
Our dear CarbonBasedGhost and his complaint about horribly written MC mods can show us the last one.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
People complaining about "sloppy code" when "pretty code" is trumped by "working code"?
Making that sort of complaint is more or less a drama time bomb. Except there are only a few people in the world who can lock the thread, "disarming" it.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Making that sort of complaint is more or less a drama time bomb. Except there are only a few people in the world who can lock the thread, "disarming" it.
Yet there are countless people who can alert the authorities and/or convince the bomber that it's too risky or not worth his time, or of course, that working code rarely is pretty, and pretty code rarely works.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think we should be namedropping other members because of their involvement in a recent controversial thread. There was plenty of discussion in the old thread and now its locked and we don't need to invite needless drama into this thread.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think we should be namedropping other members because of their involvement in a recent controversial thread. There was plenty of discussion in the old thread and now its locked and we don't need to invite needless drama into this thread.
Sorry, just kinda pissed right now.

Bevo

Jul 29, 2019
It is impossible to balance anything around everyone in a game like Minecraft. Everyone experiences the game differently. Like, when I build a TE3, or RotaryCraft, or Gregtech or any type of little factory I like to automate the factory and imagine that automation is a bunch of people working in the factory. I mean I recreated a vanilla village in my AgSkies world! It is crazy silly to pretend imaginary people are wondering my bases. I know, lol. But to me that is one of my favorite things I get from playing this game. :p I seriously doubt many others think that when building something.

Everyone has their own experience. Many are perfectly happy just throwing down a bunch of cobble, placing a bunch of machines on it and their biggest desire is to get some amazing system built that can do wild stuff. That is awesome, but totally not for me. :D Like all that cobble in Dire/Pahi's AgSkies would make me want to jump over the side into the void. Everyone has their own desired experiences and as long as everyone is enjoying themselves equally all the experiences are equally awesome and equally valid!

Just look how these two pictures of the exact same mod pack show how differently people can experience the same game.

Edit: (also just realized that being a YouTuber who spends hours talking to myself recording videos, which my family & friends think is weird lol, might help explain why I imagine people wondering around my base. :p)
Vwi7YEM.png

Last edited:

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
It is impossible to balance anything around everyone in a game like Minecraft. Everyone experiences the game differently. Like, when I build a TE3, or RotaryCraft, or Gregtech or any type of little factory I like to automate the factory and imagine that automation is a bunch of people working in the factory. I mean I recreated a vanilla village in my AgSkies world! It is crazy silly to pretend imaginary people are wondering my bases. I know, lol. But to me that is one of my favorite things I get from playing this game. :p I seriously doubt many others think that when building something.

Everyone has their own experience. Many are perfectly happy just throwing down a bunch of cobble, placing a bunch of machines on it and their biggest desire is to get some amazing system built that can do wild stuff. That is awesome, but totally not for me. :D Like all that cobble in Dire/Pahi's AgSkies would make me want to jump over the side into the void. Everyone has their own desired experiences and as long as everyone is enjoying themselves equally all the experiences are equally awesome and equally valid!

Just look how these two pictures of the exact same mod pack show how differently people can experience the same game.

Edit: (also just realized that being a YouTuber who spends hours talking to myself recording videos, which my family & friends think is weird lol, might help explain why I imagine people wondering around my base. :p)
Vwi7YEM.png
I may actually try that. Golems will be spammed tomorrow.

Reactions: YX33A

Bevo

Jul 29, 2019
I may actually try that. Golems will be spammed tomorrow.
lol. Well main point is about balancing.

We all arrived in Minecraft because we want our own experiences. Modded MC provides that for a wider range of people better than any other game.

Reactions: RedBoss

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
lol. Well main point is about balancing.

We all arrived in Minecraft because we want our own experiences. Modded MC provides that for a wider range of people better than any other game.
Main problem is a lot of said people can't tolerate differing opinions.
*snip*

Last edited by a moderator:

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
I generally keep my opinion on balance firmly to myself, but every once in a while I will trot it out when it seems appropriate.

Here is balance to me (and only me and only in multiplayer):

A mod is imbalanced when it almost entirely, or entirely, removes the skill component from one of the central aspects of the game. Particularly because I see multiplayer as a "look what I can do" sort of thing; we build on a server with other people so that other people can look upon that which we have built (and despair, ye mighty).

A fake example to illustrate: my friend Mike is a very talented builder of structures. To wander over to his area is always to be impressed. Now, if a mod introduced a block which let me choose from a massive library of pretty structures and build them for me, that I would consider imbalanced.

A real example: I am primarily a gatherer. As previously noted, the visual art gene kind of passed me by, and a lot of my showing-off is "look how much stuff I have! Would you like some of my stuff? Because I can easily afford to give stuff to you." When we played with EE2, it totally undermined my primary talent. Nobody was impressed with my collection of stuff, because anyone could do it. EE2's biggest concession to powering a resource production system was "light". It typically took me less than 24 hours to get red matter. Most of that was sitting and waiting while I watched TV.

So that's what it all comes down to, to me. And for the record I don't consider combat a fundamental part of the game, so I'm ok with invincibility suits.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Reactions: casilleroatr