Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
This reminds me of a funny joke:

person 1: I'm a zombie hunter
person 2: zombies aren't real
person 1: yes they are
person 2: then how come I have never seen one?
person 1: your welcome
Terry Pratchett had a great take on this one. Something to the effect of "They like to decorate their entrances with invisible runes." "But I can't see anything!" "Yep. That's how you know they're proper invisible runes."

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
This reminds me of a funny joke:

person 1: I'm a zombie hunter
person 2: zombies aren't real
person 1: yes they are
person 2: then how come I have never seen one?
person 1: your welcome

There was a book series called Monster Hunters Inc. which operated under this premise. More specifically, the government MIB were more interested in shutting up 'incidents' than actually protecting people, and had a habit of removing inconvenient witnesses.

Reactions: RedBoss

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
I sort of imagine the old "This charm will protect you from elephants" / "But there aren't any elephants around" joke being extended ...

"Aaauugh! Elephants on the rampage! Ruuuunn!"
Elephant group approaches
Main character holds out the charm
Lead elephant stops. "Hold it guys, this one's bought protection. Lets go hit someone else"
Herd goes elsewhere.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I sort of imagine the old "This charm will protect you from elephants" / "But there aren't any elephants around" joke being extended ...

"Aaauugh! Elephants on the rampage! Ruuuunn!"
Elephant group approaches
Main character holds out the charm
Lead elephant stops. "Hold it guys, this one's bought protection. Lets go hit someone else"
Herd goes elsewhere.
Let's not get into Inverted Tropes... someone might link to that website and we'd all get sucked into the temporospatial event horizon.

Reactions: eric167 and Dorque

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, if this does not belong, I'm sorry. It's recent events, and it's something to discuss. (Remember: civil.)

In the TiC thread, someone was commenting on steel:
grimallq, on 19 May 2014 - 08:41 AM, said:

By the time I have enough clay in a new world to make a small Smeltery I'm usually swimming in 4 kinds of steel.

I responded:
What you need is to have specialized steel.

TiC steel, as I understand it, has to be made in a special high-temp furnace, with coal, gunpowder, sand, and redstone. That's not too far from Reika's blast furnace, and both require a decent infrastructure first.

Maybe the two of you should merge your steels under a common dictionary tag?

It seemed like a good idea. Still does. Neither mod makes steel easy; both require a mix of impurities, and almost the identical mix.

mDiyo's response:
Keybounce: I refuse to work with anyone who tries to force their vision on others.

I know Reika is very much a "This is the only way to use this mod" person.

But ...

I see mDiyo as very, very similar, especially with regards to TiC. Not to the point of saying "Thou shall not make a mod for my mod", but certainly with "This is my vision for how the tools should work, and I won't make any changes that would fit things better". Specifically, a while back I had asked about reducing the default number of modifiers, possibly with ways to get more extra modifiers.

I am not a fan of TiC. I use it only because AgSkies and Magic Farm use it. It may be the case that the best of enchanted vanilla gear out performs it, but the reality is that in most cases it renders vanilla tools worthless. Between doubling ore production and providing more ores, it takes the already "swimming in ores" of vanilla and makes it worse. The large variety of options seem more like an exercise in spreadsheet combinatorics, until you get into the crazy and insane stuff (orbital launchers, etc). It turns "high-powered" stuff -- the equivalent of vanilla enchantments -- from rarities that you have to work to get, and maintain, into dirt-cheap (most of the time) stuff that is trivial to get and maintain.

Simply put: If you can make a TiC tool, then there is usually no reason not to make a TiC tool. I had wanted a reason to choose between TiC tools and vanilla tools. I did not, and still do not, like the idea of massive increase in ores available just for some tool variety, that have no use outside of that.

My idea of a config option to set the base amount of modifiers, as well as how many times a given extra modifier could be used? Rejected. If I recall correctly, it did not fit mDiyo's vision of the mod.

Since then, we've gotten a lot of add-ons to change how TiC works. But the most restrictive of them just has "tool leveling" -- a TiC tool will still become as powerful as before, perhaps even more powerful. In a non-skyblock map, you can level them up with relative ease; in a typical modern modpack, you have some sort of "fake player" to level them up for you (trivial for a pick -- stick it in front of a cobblegen. Harder for a shovel, but even an axe can go in front of a forestry farm tree.) So unless you need something for a short-term project now, the TiC tool is still generally the tool of choice.

===

I see very little difference (I won't say no difference, just not much difference) between Reika and mDiyo when it comes to "This is my vision for my mod". I'm not saying that this is wrong.

I don't understand the whole "I won't work with someone who has a vision that differs from my own" view.

And I don't see why these two forms of high temperature, high-quality with impurities steel cannot be regarded as dictionary-compatible.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
And I don't see why these two forms of high temperature, high-quality with impurities steel cannot be regarded as dictionary-compatible.

They basically are, with a quick change of a config file:
Code:
B:"Allow RC steel to be used in other mods"=true

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
They basically are, with a quick change of a config file:
Code:
B:"Allow RC steel to be used in other mods"=true

Hmm. Does that allow TiC steel to be used by RC?

(That's a real simple solution if so ... no need to involve mDiyo to make it work.)

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Hmm. Does that allow TiC steel to be used by RC?

(That's a real simple solution if so ... no need to involve mDiyo to make it work.)

I don't think so, but there's a machine in RotaryCraft that allows you to convert any other steel into Reika's steel.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Bear in mind too that what you're calling "TiC steel" is actually the process from Tinker's Steelworks, a mod for TiC which is not, in any way, made by mDiyo.

Reactions: YX33A and Padfoote

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Bear in mind too that what you're calling "TiC steel" is actually the process from Tinker's Steelworks, a mod for TiC which is not, in any way, made by mDiyo.

Hence why ignoring mDiyo and asking the right people is a better option... or simply removing TiC because it's too damn good and if the slime islands and exosuit weren't pretty baller I'd remove the whole mod and the dirty feelings.

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
Tinkers steelworks has TiC as a dependency right?
Otherwise I might use it by itself as it is a very nice looking piece of work.

Once 1.7.x stable TiC comes out, I plan to fork it and take out a lot of the stuff that it comes with that I don't really care for such as slime islands and the armour, even the entire tab system for the players inventory. I can't really hate when the mod is open source, but the smeltery is just too nice to pass up on ;)

Concerning the comment someone made about the amounts of clay in the world, I have the clay spawn mod that matris vigil is now maintaining and like it a lot, clay is actually one of my favourite building materials.

As far as oreDictionary stuff goes, I think it will always be a bit of a point of contrition for people.

Reactions: YX33A

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Tinkers steelworks has TiC as a dependency right?
Otherwise I might use it by itself as it is a very nice looking piece of work.

Once 1.7.x stable TiC comes out, I plan to fork it and take out a lot of the stuff that it comes with that I don't really care for such as slime islands and the armour, even the entire tab system for the players inventory. I can't really hate when the mod is open source, but the smeltery is just too nice to pass up on ;)

Concerning the comment someone made about the amounts of clay in the world, I have the clay spawn mod that matris vigil is now maintaining and like it a lot, clay is actually one of my favourite building materials.

As far as oreDictionary stuff goes, I think it will always be a bit of a point of contrition for people.
When you fork it and take those two things out, could you place them in their own mod(s)? I hate the rest of TiC but love those two things.

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
When you fork it and take those two things out, could you place them in their own mod(s)? I hate the rest of TiC but love those two things.
It is licensed under the Creative Commons 3 license so this could be a possibility.

I personally don't really like the armour tab system enough to throw it into its own mod especially with something like Baubles now. The slime islands could definitely use being standalone though (making sure that due credit is given where it is due)

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
It is licensed under the Creative Commons 3 license so this could be a possibility.

I personally don't really like the armour tab system enough to throw it into its own mod especially with something like Baubles now. The slime islands could definitely use being standalone though (making sure that due credit is given where it is due)
The armour tab only makes sense if one has armour to put in there, and baubles does it better IMO period.(because even TiC didn't use literally any of it until the backpack or the heart canister crafting(I forgot which came first) and still isn't using even half of what it had, maybe half of what it has now since they started taking the axe to it upon realizing that if they don't use it, why will anyone bother to give them something to add there themselves, unlike baubles where it comes bundled with a mod that USES everything it adds to those slots(shots fired!))