ReactorCraft - clever reactor setups?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
12 core reactor, (approx 940MW *6 = ~5.6GW)

From above:
2014-06-01_10.30.39.png

From above (reverse):
2014-06-01_10.30.51.png

From below:
2014-06-01_10.31.26.png

Steam pressure (value is rising very slowly):
2014-06-01_10.31.38.png

Net generation:
2014-06-01_10.32.00.png

Design:
R Neutron Reflector
B Boiler
U Fuel Core (Uranium)
C Control Rod
X Central Control
. Cement

R R R R R R R R R
R B B B B B B B R
R B U U C U U B R
R B U B C B U B R
R B C C X C C B R
R B U B C B U B .R
R B U U C U U B R
R B B B B B B B R
R R R R R R R R R

Note cement block. The reactor was getting a bit too toasty. Placing a cement block and reflecting the neutrons that get through (a minute number since they pass through cement again) seems to keep the reactor at just the right temperature.

Edit: minor cleanups.

Last edited:

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
12 core reactor, (approx 940MW *6 = ~5.64GW)

From above:
View attachment 11381

From above (reverse):
View attachment 11382

From below:
View attachment 11383

Steam pressure (value is rising very slowly):
View attachment 11384

Net generation:
View attachment 11385

Design:
R Neutron Reflector
B Boiler
U Fuel Core (Uranium)
C Control Rod (Intercepts between each quad)
X Central Control
. Cement

R R R R R R R R R
R B B B B B B B R
R B U U C U U B R
R B U B C B U B R
R B C C X C C B R
R B U B C B U B .R
R B U U C U U B R
R B B B B B B B R
R R R R R R R R R

Note cement block. The reactor was getting a bit too toasty. Placing a cement block and reflecting the neutrons that get through (a minute number since they pass through cement again) seems to keep the reactor at just the right temperature.
I was going to use a similar design, but for some reason neutron reflectors do not exist in version 19b of Reactorcraft which is in Horizons(and can't update since I'm on a server). So instead I use a 12 core HTGR which produces me 930 MW. All my pitchblende comes from Coal ore I extract that comes from my boring machines in the Deep Dark(with the occasional piece of pitchblende ore that appears.) I could probably sustain 2-3 HTGRs off of the pitchblende I get. It just takes a ton of pitchblende at first to jump start the reactor.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I was going to use a similar design, but for some reason neutron reflectors do not exist in version 19b of Reactorcraft which is in Horizons(and can't update since I'm on a server). So instead I use a 12 core HTGR which produces me 930 MW. All my pitchblende comes from Coal ore I extract that comes from my boring machines in the Deep Dark(with the occasional piece of pitchblende ore that appears.) I could probably sustain 2-3 HTGRs off of the pitchblende I get. It just takes a ton of pitchblende at first to jump start the reactor.
Have you ever tested the steam line directly at the grate to see how fast the steam is building up?
In my testing today, if its going up more than a couple cubic meters per second, its time to add another turbine.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Have you ever tested the steam line directly at the grate to see how fast the steam is building up?
In my testing today, if its going up more than a couple cubic meters per second, its time to add another turbine.
Unfortunately, the ability to use the Angular Transducer on steam lines was added in a later version then 19b. :/

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Unfortunately, the ability to use the Angular Transducer on steam lines was added in a later version then 19b. :/
Gah, are you playing on a server or something?

19b is virtually unplayable to me now; so many fixes and additions since then. I'm playing single player Horizons with all Reika's mods updated.

Reactions: Padfoote

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Yes I play on a server. :/ The owner is going to update as soon as the updated version of Horizons comes. He doesn't want to update individual mods.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Yes I play on a server. :/ The owner is going to update as soon as the updated version of Horizons comes. He doesn't want to update individual mods.

Be careful when updating from 19b to anything more recent as there are a few breaking changes. For example magnetostatics are now tiered and all magnetostatics already in the world will be lowest tier so they will not work as well as they did. You'll have to upgrade most of them and some of the upgrades are not that easy to make.

Additionally in my case I had several steam engines explode after the upgrade because ambient temperature is calculated differently and a few of my steam engines deep underground became too hot.

Reactions: Padfoote and Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Fair nuff. That server must crash constantly though :p

Do you happen to know if any blocks insulate specifically against heat transfer? I'm trying to maintain decent temperature at certain points in my latest reactor design. At these points, a boiler cools things down too much. I use fillers such as Steel blocks, but I'm wondering if these are absorbing any heat, and if so, if that heat could be insulated against (essentially kept at original source).

Be careful when updating from 19b to anything more recent as there are a few breaking changes. For example magnetostatics are now tiered and all magnetostatics already in the world will be lowest tier so they will not work as well as they did. You'll have to upgrade most of them and some of the upgrades are not that easy to make.

Additionally in my case I had several steam engines explode after the upgrade because ambient temperature is calculated differently and a few of my steam engines deep underground became too hot.

Good points. I actually highly recommend backups prior to upgrading any Reika stuff. I lost half a base when industrial coils had a maximum cap introduced months ago.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019

Oh I know. I've been breaking bedrock and magnetizing shaft cores like a madman.
Fair nuff. That server must crash constantly though :p

Do you happen to know if any blocks insulate specifically against heat transfer? I'm trying to maintain decent temperature at certain points in my latest reactor design. At these points, a boiler cools things down too much. I use fillers such as Steel blocks, but I'm wondering if these are absorbing any heat, and if so, if that heat could be insulated against (essentially kept at original source).

Good points. I actually highly recommend backups prior to upgrading any Reika stuff. I lost half a base when industrial coils had a maximum cap introduced months ago.
Oh trust me, me and my fellow players know very well what is incoming. As for server crashes, our only problems have been Farlanders and Ars Magica clogging up mob spawns.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Somewhat improved design of my 12-core.

The basic premise is spreading out a bit more. The reactors still interact with each other identically to before, but we can add a couple more steam boilers as needed for extra steam/cooling.

Note that there's a lot of space for more boilers; these might be useful in a hotter biome.

12 core reactor.png

In a plains biome (Reactors rest at 30C) this gets me 7 turbines. I can't tell if that last turbine is 100% sustained; it may actually drop below 7 turbines sustained at night.

Unfortunately, adding more boilers actually reduces my steam output as it causes too much cooling.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
So, I wonder if the transvector interface works for remotely conducting heat. Would be neat if I set one up with 6 cores around it and linked it to a boiler.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Well, here we go again folks. This time a 16-core reactor. This one's a bit more flexibile for controlling heat levels.

Be careful with it; unlike the 12-core, this one will explode if you don't adjust your # of reflectors carefully.

upload_2014-6-5_16-10-2.png

OUTPUT:
  • 1 HP Turbine (1 x 8.59GW)
  • 2 Small Turbines (2 x 0.94GW)
  • Total: 10.47 GW (~1,857,000 RF/T)
  • May support one more turbine, not sure.

IMPORTANT NOTES:
  • In V23d this reactor can start a HP Turbine without any shenanigans
  • All testing done in a Plains biome
  • Heat level in this reactor is adjusted by adding Reflectors, preferably behind Control Rods (See Optional Reflector+Control Rod in the legend)
  • Add each reflector carefully. One at a time, and monitor the heat of your cores for several minutes afterwards.
  • Inserted Control Rods may prevent meltdowns but the reactor will run warm and inefficiently. (In the recent12-core setup, inserted rods almost shut down the reactor)
  • In my testing, 6+ reflectors incurred a meltdown; 5 reflectors (shown) causes occassional particle warnings around 500C
  • Some optional Reflector/Control Rods may be useful in colder biomes
  • 4 Gany's Infinite Water supplies were necessary; not sure if its because I wasn't extracting liquid as quickly as possible (Ender IO pressurized fluid pipes, no settings tweaked in their guis)

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Padfoote, methinks nobody uses ReactorCraft anymore :p

Someone needs to highly criticize my damn design so that a superior one can take its place.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Padfoote, methinks nobody uses ReactorCraft anymore :p

Someone needs to highly criticize my damn design so that a superior one can take its place.

I'd love to say I could, but I haven't had time to sit down and actually play in a while.

Reactions: Pyure