ReactorCraft - clever reactor setups?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Kyle98750

Sep 16, 2013
Out of curiosity, how long does one uranium pellet last? I'm just getting into these ReactorCraft fission reactors. Also, what would be the minimum amount of cores needed to power a HP turbine? Assuming optimal use of reflectors, ect. Thanks

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
I still use reactorcraft but I haven't had a chance to build a fission reactor; been busy compressing lodestone for the fusion solenoid magnets, building a stockpile of breeder fuel, and preparing to tear down and rebuild my automated jet fuel processing since something is murdering my fps (could be all the logistics pipes.) The only reactor I currently have is a HTGR, trying to get a recycling loop going without blowing things up has been a challenge though. Need to figure out exactly what power I need for the pressurizer....and modfying the steam loop on a running reactor isn't a good idea, I discovered.

Reactions: Pyure

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Out of curiosity, how long does one uranium pellet last? I'm just getting into these ReactorCraft fission reactors. Also, what would be the minimum amount of cores needed to power a HP turbine? Assuming optimal use of reflectors, ect. Thanks

@Pyure had a nice 12 core fission reactor on the last page (third to last post) and it runs an HP turbine. I *think* that's the minimum, since I've seen reports of anything less requiring a bit of trickery to run an HP for a bit. I've also heard that pellets last for around 30 minutes.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I've seen them last anywhere from 30-60 mins. More chain reactions = more heat and more steam and faster consumption
@Pyure had a nice 12 core fission reactor on the last page (third to last post) and it runs an HP turbine. I *think* that's the minimum, since I've seen reports of anything less requiring a bit of trickery to run an HP for a bit. I've also heard that pellets last for around 30 minutes.
12 core couldn't quite start an hp legitimately. 16 can easily. Haven't built in between yet.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I still use reactorcraft but I haven't had a chance to build a fission reactor; been busy compressing lodestone for the fusion solenoid magnets, building a stockpile of breeder fuel, and preparing to tear down and rebuild my automated jet fuel processing since something is murdering my fps (could be all the logistics pipes.) The only reactor I currently have is a HTGR, trying to get a recycling loop going without blowing things up has been a challenge though. Need to figure out exactly what power I need for the pressurizer....and modfying the steam loop on a running reactor isn't a good idea, I discovered.
I'd love to see pic/design for an htgr some time if u ever get bored :)[DOUBLEPOST=1402108786][/DOUBLEPOST]
Oops, I read that wrong. I thought it was 12, not 16. My bad.
You can run an hp from a 12 for quite a while if you kick start it by letting the pipe build up steam before connecting it; eventually tho the steam line will depressurize below 40 m^3 and the hp will shut down

Reactions: Padfoote

Zero5211

Jul 29, 2019
What does an HP turbine need in order to be built? I tried following someone's video but mine wouldn't form.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
What does an HP turbine need in order to be built? I tried following someone's video but mine wouldn't form.
Persistence. If you're sure you have the blocks right, break one and replace it. Make sure there are no other blocks inside the building area.

1st layer is just injectors; I've never seen it render alone.

Second layer is 1 turbine block surrounded by housings. It will begin rendering at that point. Again, you may need to break/replace 1 block in that layer to force the render.

Zero5211

Jul 29, 2019
And for the 16 core reactor, is it a full length HP turbine, or just the first 2 layers?

EDIT: Nevermind, built a full one and got the specified power. Now just to make this for real on the server I play on.

Last edited:

Kyle98750

Sep 16, 2013
I just went with a massive pebble bed, its about 18 cores per layer with 6 layers all in a checkerboard pattern for a total of about 108 cores. Produces just enough for 1 HP turbine, and the 8.5GW return is more than enough to repay in boring time for the fuel pellets. I'm up to some odd 30k uranium dust and 60k graphite.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I just went with a massive pebble bed, its like 70 cores, 6 layers in a checkerboard pattern. Produces just enough for 1 HP turbine, and the 8.5GW return is more than enough to repay in boring time for the fuel pellets. I'm up to some odd 30k uranium dust and 60k graphite.

Do you mind posting some pictures of that monster?

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I just went with a massive pebble bed, its about 18 cores per layer with 6 layers all in a checkerboard pattern for a total of about 108 cores. Produces just enough for 1 HP turbine, and the 8.5GW return is more than enough to repay in boring time for the fuel pellets. I'm up to some odd 30k uranium dust and 60k graphite.
Awesome pics.

Any particular reason you did a giant pbr instead of a smaller fission one?

Kyle98750

Sep 16, 2013
What Wagon153 said, I started up some isotope centrifuges and the enriched uranium just came in much to slowly for me to sustain anything substantial. Would be nice if Reika made fission reactors need water (to slow the neutrons, as a real reactor does). Then one could use heavy water and U238, the very common isotope and have a sustainable fission reactor. I believe these reactors are called Heavy Water reactors or PHWR for pressurized heavy water reactor.

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
What Wagon153 said, I started up some isotope centrifuges and the enriched uranium just came in much to slowly for me to sustain anything substantial.
Makes sense;
I think I'm in the minority here but I tend to run my reactors for just a few cycles at a time, storing the energy for later use. So I really don't need a lot of fuel production.

Yarma92

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone come up with a way to generate enriched uranium and a decent rate? Those centrifuges are mighty slow due to the RNG involved

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Has anyone come up with a way to generate enriched uranium and a decent rate? Those centrifuges are mighty slow due to the RNG involved

More centrifuges. Not what you were looking for, but that's all I know of.

Reactions: YX33A

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
More centrifuges. Not what you were looking for, but that's all I know of.
That's about it yeah. Have a factory of sorts.

In the past I've used microturbines, since they have ok power and start at a decent speed.

You can also maximize fuel efficiency by fueling the microturbines via the engine control unit; if I understand correctly, they run the engine slower but with much better fuel efficiency.

Hrm, this is actually testable: I should see how much total power a microturbine uses in ECU vs non-ECU mode when running at 25% speed. In theory you should be consuming less than 25% of the fuel.

Too bad I won't have time for a couple days, bleh.