Poll: Do you like GregTech?

Do you like GregTech

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't actually played GregTech since early 1.5.2. Since then, it has gone even further away from being an IC2 addon and towards being a standalone total conversion mod. You probably still need IC2 for now, but it won't stay that way forever.

As I don't know the current state of things, i can't comment whether I like it or not. I liked past iterations, though.

I think most people who dislike GregTech are either huffy because Greg blew them off with a rude comment once, or because they expect GregTech to be just another content mod they can throw into a large pack for some extra features, only to find out that nope, it doesn't work that way. Treat GregTech like you treat TerrafirmaCraft. It's not an addon to a mod. It's a total conversion of Minecraft itself, with all the bells and whistles, and it's only going to do more of it in the future.

kasper_tfg

Jul 29, 2019
I don't mind it, but in the 1.6 version its lacking play-ability. The tech tree goes bronze machines first which you only use for a very limited time then throw away which feels pointless. Then you need steel for the next tier now this is where it turns sour, after a generator the next best machine is a plate bender as it reduces the cost of plates by half as it takes two ingots for one plate in a crafting grid. Now to make the steel you need to make a bronze blast furnace which requires large amounts of copper and tin. Now the plate bender requires 32 steel ingots, which takes 6 min per ingot, totaling 192 minutes or 3.2 hours! As this is early game progress there is not a lot more to progress into so you really have to wait. Now some will say make a Railcraft blast furnace, but to get to the nether you need steel for the flint and steel.
As a Computer Science (Games Design) student this type of structure of game play does not make for continuous game play in the slightest. To keep a player interested in the game and playing you need them to enter a state of flow where the outside world get's suspended and only the game matters, but if I am sitting here for 3.2 hours staring at a bright orange wall, I am going to go do something else. I I like the machines and most of the tech tree after this initial mundane phase, I feel that the ideas behind the mod need to used to create a new mod with less ego stroking involved and has a interesting and engaging tech tree with config options for all changes allowing the player to decided how the mod should play. Hint I have 4 months over summer coming up, I think I have found something to keep myself busy.

TL;DR: I like it, but breaks to many game design principals to be really fun.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
I do love Gregtech. I think I would 'finish' minecraft way tooo quickly if not for the grind of GT, and really lose that sense of accomplishment.

And while I won't play modded MC without GT anytime soon in the near future, I do wish some things were more suited for single player only. In particular machine processing times. God I wish there was a config for this. Bump up the energy draw if you must, but I hate waiting for simple things to finish processing. Even with a complete 150 eu/t draining AE system I still have to wait....wait....wait... for even relatively common recipes (any circuit, whether that be advanced or energy orb or w.e) to be crafted. I also hate the lack of documentation, when resources weren't 'unlimited' I had dished out alot of iron for a Large Steel Turbine, only to find out you pretty much need his tesseracts in order to supply enough steam. So a simple steam turbine ends up needing several iridium plates? Well crap.

There totally is a config for machine processing times for all the GT machines. In the DynamicConfig, you'll see sections named after a machine where there's an item followed by a number. That number is the number of ticks it takes to process. Remember that there are 20 ticks per second and you can change all the values to what one thinks is appropriate. I have not tested power draw, but it is either the same or less and/or the tool tips are not dynamic. Nor have I tested what happens when one attempts to apply overclockers to single digit tick values. I expect it only increases power draw as rounding may prevent further speed increase. Keep in mind that these only affect GT machines rather than normal IC2 machines like the compressor.

Also, look into machine boxes. Prior to Greg finishing his own pipe system, these can be used as extremely high volume pipes. They can move power, items and fluids with the appropriate modules. They do need transformer upgrades to move more than LV. In your particular situation, you'd place down a machine box, put a pump module on the side that will face the turbine and another on the side facing your water source. The pump modules default to export, so use your screwdriver on the import module to set it to that. The power output side (the one with a dot) is the only one that can be set to a specific direction using the wrench, all modules/covers keep their cardinal directions so be sure to put them on the correct side. Usually I place these down somewhere, configure them, wrench them, then place place them where they're going to go. If you have multiple modules outputting items or liquids, it will attempt to finish filling one before moving onto the next rather than evenly splitting. Machine boxes do need a little bit of power to move stuff, but is not a lot and if you've wrenched their power dot into the correct position you'll only need to power the first one in a line.

Reactions: Captain_Oats

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
As my signature says, What's the fun in playing IC2 if you get the top tier in an hour? It's not quite an hour of course, but you can get there in a rather sort period of time. Then there isn't much to do after that.

The buildcraft system of power is too wonky for me.

Of course, I've been stuck in 1.4 with all the other redpower nutballs (all my base would be gone if I removed it, no joke), so I don't know about all the 1.5/1.6 stuff.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
*points out that you don't 'win' minecraft when you get top tier stuff, you can stuff do fun stuff*
Whenever someone says they feel bored, want to start over, or quit after getting certain items, I get very confused. It's like someone saying they don't want to drive their Ferrari anymore because they are bored and driving is too easy.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Whenever someone says they feel bored, want to start over, or quit after getting certain items, I get very confused. It's like someone saying they don't want to drive their Ferrari anymore because they are bored and driving is too easy.

Well I feel like I would likely be apart of that group but I believe it's not all that bad and happens because they no longer have a goal to achieve with those items(or possesions in your scenario). That is not to say there aren't any possible goals that could be sought after and achieved but instead that the desirable line of goals for that specific thing has been achieved for them. It's more likely an innate way to dispose of something that isn't a true interest but people are somewhat stupid and don't realize that they don't need to get the same sense of accomplishment from something that someone else does and likely never will. These types of people just need to realize that.

Reactions: RedBoss

namae

Jul 29, 2019
I like GT, mostly because its actually makes minecraft longer, I don't see it as "grinding" as people use turtles and quarries for mining anyway. Thing is without GT you can hit roof in less than a week, and people like me who prefer surviving/exploiting to building aspect need some target in their heads to keep moving. Its not for people who play 2 hours on a weekend, because it looks too tedious to them though.

Hyperme

Popular Member
Apr 3, 2013
I don't even know, since apparently there were big revamps and more configs. And since the new IC2 has gone completely insane, I won't be able to make an informed opinion. Curse those mods what change!

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
I like the changes/additions, not the hard-mode stuff like super low durability for basic tools.
the version I have on my unleashed is tweaked a fair bit.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I like GT, mostly because its actually makes minecraft longer, I don't see it as "grinding" as people use turtles and quarries for mining anyway. Thing is without GT you can hit roof in less than a week, and people like me who prefer surviving/exploiting to building aspect need some target in their heads to keep moving. Its not for people who play 2 hours on a weekend, because it looks too tedious to them though.

I play without GT, but also without turtles, quarries, or other autominers. The end result is roughly the same - a longer-lasting MC world.

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
That's how I wanted to say it. Thanks.[DOUBLEPOST=1382484537][/DOUBLEPOST]
There ARE ending credits after defeating the ender dragon, ya know! :p
Yes, but they got to put them somewhere, so might as while put it with the only boss fight of the game (of the time anyway). For many, we still keep playing after that, there's even end ores for GT users that remind us of that :p

Reactions: Eyamaz

trajano080

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I don't like all the stuff from GregTech, I like what it adds, not what it changes. I still think it's an awesome mod though, becuase in vanilla Minecraft, I never get bored, but in modded Minecraft I seem to get bored when I reach "end game", that is why I like GregTech, because it makes "mid game" last longer.

dwappo

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I don't like all the stuff from GregTech, I like what it adds, not what it changes. I still think it's an awesome mod though, becuase in vanilla Minecraft, I never get bored, but in modded Minecraft I seem to get bored when I reach "end game", that is why I like GregTech, because it makes "mid game" last longer.
I somewhat agree with this, I just like the machines, everything else that it changes, recipes, etc, I do not like at all.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
To put a long answer short- do you prefer the journey or the destination?
  • The Destination- "winning" such as blasting through the tech levels and reaching the top tier of everything. Anything that slows this down can detriment to your enjoyment. GregTech is probably not the mod for you.
  • The Journey- essentially the process of playing/exploring each level of the tech tree. You have end goals you might or might not complete but that doesn't matter- your 'fun' is working around the rules and limits of your existing prowess. GregTech might be the mod for you.
Note- the above is interchangeable, representing the end values on a sliding scale. Both ends are independent whether GT is installed or not, though the default config better represents the latter.
--:--
To address a few points in this thread:
A "Grind" isn't something that takes a lot of time, rather when the amount of gameplay/content experienced isn't enough to justify the time getting there. Having something to work towards is neat- regardless of time taken to get there. What's "Bad"/"Grindy" ect is when the reward to effort ratio is lacking or the tasks to get there aren't interesting gameplay.
GT can be very "rewarding" in its own right- be it 3.5x ore yield, more efficient recipes unlocked with progress, or custom machine modules for super-compact builds.
The difficulty "effort" side is almost totally configurable so there's a "non-grindy" version.
Waiting time for circuits/components (Assembly Machine)
This the same as Buildcraft chipsets and gates. If you're stuck waiting there's overclockers (double energy needed:half the time), or the dynamic config.
Modifying your AE/logistics network to stockpile a number of components is a must if you want an on-demand option with the cheaper units.
There's also a more expensive 'insta-craft' option. (which could be worked into said network as a backup)
Changes vanilla/mods
Well EVERY mod changes vanilla. FACT. Its a mod- that what it does.
Though most of the ones seen in FTB do so in a more subtle manner. Biome mods aside Vanilla world gens changed [by extension ore ratio changed]. The in-game "worth"/"value" of resources are different- with each mod unique demand for resources, or processing/making resources differently. How much gold/lapis did you use in vanilla? How much iron? How much wood/wheat/animals did you have? Anything you used in vanilla you dont here? and vice versa?​
Changing mods then- It was 3 changes. no more. Only one of those doesn't have a config option.
(Gregorium ingot was added by RichardG BTW)

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
To put a long answer short- do you prefer the journey or the destination?
  • The Destination- "winning" such as blasting through the tech levels and reaching the top tier of everything. Anything that slows this down can detriment to your enjoyment. GregTech is probably not the mod for you.
  • The Journey- essentially the process of playing/exploring each level of the tech tree. You have end goals you might or might not complete but that doesn't matter- your 'fun' is working around the rules and limits of your existing prowess. GregTech might be the mod for you.
That is a VERY subjective point of view. First of all, people who like GregTech often seem like people who prefer the destination, and being able to brag that they "beat the game" with GregTech installed. And I, personally, love the journey far more than the endgame. But I never ever play with GregTech because it makes the journey LESS fun and more tedious for me. Not for everyone. Just me. This is not an objective statement. It's completely subjective because it's my personal opinion and thus is not applicable to anyone but me.

In other words, it's really impossible to classify the people who like or dislike GregTech based on such broad stereotypes. Even people who love challenge tend to prefer different types of challenges. Some want the mobs to be unforgiving. Some want starvation to be a serious and frequent issue. Some want to progress through the tech tree slower. Some want to set a personal challenge and see if they can meet it on their terms, while others want the game itself to challenge them on its own terms. That's why the Minecraft modding community exists at all, and that's also why there isn't a single "best" modpack, despite what some people seem to believe.

This thread's whole purpose seems to be to breed animosity between two groups who conflict more than they should already. Let people play Minecraft however they please. If they want the kind of challenge that GregTech offers, that's fine. If they want something more like Hunger Overhaul, or Infernal Mobs, or some other mod, that's fine too. If they want to play without those extra challenges, or come up with their own personal challenges, why should anyone tell them differently?

Status
Not open for further replies.