Pack updates and new packs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vvector

Jul 29, 2019
Two steps forward, one step back.

One of the best additions to the launcher is the ability to push out test builds, while leaving the recommended build alone. Linus once said "Many Eyes Make All Bugs Shallow". By putting up test builds, you allow hundreds of users to check the mod pack for bugs. This is fantastic!! But then, someone makes some changes to the modpack, and it got pushed out untested by the public. That's when the minecraftforge.zip/MinecraftForge.zip bug slipped in. Look at the Mindcrack versions: v2 and v5 were broken on release because they were not tested properly.

Just make sure any new pack is tested by the public before promoting it to Recommended. Everything will go much smoother. Thanks again.

Reactions: russjr08

SublightNova

Jul 29, 2019
Yes everything is so smooth... My FTB install and world ended up being a horrible mess after the update. Seriously, try testing it first or just quit trying to release mod packs. As it is you are forcing people to dig through 10 pages of forum threads to get things working.

But this is what you are saying.. we are all alpha testers right... no worries... ah well..

russjr08

Jul 29, 2019
Yes everything is so smooth... My FTB install and world ended up being a horrible mess after the update. Seriously, try testing it first or just quit trying to release mod packs. As it is you are forcing people to dig through 10 pages of forum threads to get things working.

But this is what you are saying.. we are all alpha testers right... no worries... ah well..
Well you did backup before updating right? I mean, that's the first thing that comes to my mind when changing something..

VANtheSven

Jul 29, 2019

Must be something on your side that went wrong, updating has been smooth for me (both server and client) for every version of the mindcrack pack

SublightNova

Jul 29, 2019
Yup I did backup so I guess I need to go back to my previous version with a non working Thaumcraft (staff doesn't charge anywhere)...

Just tried again with a full clean install except my saves and after clicking yes on the blank screen, it just stays on black screen and a bunch of new errors in the console. Among other FML has found a zillion mismatches, more red...[DOUBLEPOST=1359493310][/DOUBLEPOST]Ofc.. It must be on my side since your update went smooth.. Try applying that logic in a professional IT workspace and see what happens...

VANtheSven

Jul 29, 2019
Yup I did backup so I guess I need to go back to my previous version with a non working Thaumcraft (staff doesn't charge anywhere)...

Just tried again with a full clean install except my saves and after clicking yes on the blank screen, it just stays on black screen and a bunch of new errors in the console. Among other FML has found a zillion mismatches, more red...[DOUBLEPOST=1359493310][/DOUBLEPOST]Ofc.. It must be on my side since your update went smooth.. Try applying that logic in a professional IT workspace and see what happens...

The staff not recharging has probably to do with the auranode(s) being deleted/reset (known thaumcraft issue, not sure whether that was fixed or not).

For the FML issues after the clean install: Are you using optifine?

And the packs have been tested since last wednesday, and have been available from the launcher since then. So yes, they did a whole bunch of testing, and that it didn't work for you doesn't mean that it automatically is the fault of the FTB team. Besides, if it was a problem on the side of the FTB team, wouldn't you think that a) more people would've complained and b) they wouldnt have fixed the problem already?

Tolgrimm

Jul 29, 2019

Yeah, why write up a concise bug report when you can whine and moan and stomp your feet... if it's not working for YOU, everything must have gone wrong. No other explanation possible.

Reactions: Ashzification

iceDave

Jul 29, 2019
Well, if you have a backup, why not use the backup (Copy the backup folder, not move it)?

Edit: Check the modpack folder, and go to the instmods folder and rename minecraftforge.zip to MinecraftForge.zip to reinstall the mods.
Could you read my post? I done it COUPLE times. Everytime the same shit happens it will NOT work... And renaming is for LINUX, i use windows, windows dosent care about big and small letters.

SublightNova

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, why write up a concise bug report when you can whine and moan and stomp your feet... if it's not working for YOU, everything must have gone wrong. No other explanation possible.

Fact that azsheficwhatever liked your response tells me you guys are the mature ones. Lol. I guess being rude is just your way of communicating.

Finally somehow managed to get it running and yes I was using optifine although it also gave me crashes without. Now it doesn't.. And no, thaumcraft bugs have not been fixed and wands are and remain being totally dead.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Fact that azsheficwhatever liked your response tells me you guys are the mature ones. Lol. I guess being rude is just your way of communicating.
Thank you, I just found his statement to be entertaining. After spending 2 hours helping to troubleshoot old issues and another 2 posting the bug fixes for this update, I think I deserve a bit of entertainment.

russjr08

Jul 29, 2019
Could you read my post? I done it COUPLE times. Everytime the same shit happens it will NOT work... And renaming is for LINUX, i use windows, windows dosent care about big and small letters.
You know, being rude isn't going to get you ANY kind of help. Java cares about case, not NTFS. So if none of the mods are loaded, theres your problem.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
I'd like to quickly add, this thread is not the place to be asking for help. There are two tech support sections on the forums, regular and server, and a help desk. Those are the places to be requesting assistance regarding your Feed the Beast setups.

Tolgrimm

Jul 29, 2019

Look here. If I had your problem, I would post it in the support or bug report forum. If nobody has an immediate solution for me, I'd revert back to the last version of the pack; not much I can do.

What I would not do: Throw a tantrum like a spoilt child, accuse the mod makers of making us alpha testers, of not testing anything. It's really sad that you don't have to pay for the modpack, otherwise you could throw in that argument, too - at least you had the time to tell them what happens in a "professional workspace".
And I certainly wouldn't call other people "rude" if I ever behaved like that.

Lastly, I've got no idea who those "you guys" are that you are talking about. No connection to the FTB team whatsoever.

iceDave

Jul 29, 2019
You know, being rude isn't going to get you ANY kind of help. Java cares about case, not NTFS. So if none of the mods are loaded, theres your problem.

I wouldn't be rude, sry, and i tried that with the upper lower case as well and it didn't worked for me. My problem is not does no mods are loaded, my problem is does all the blocks what i placed in v4 are not there anymore after i updated to v5. I can still make the ironfurnace, ironchests, sorter.. all the blocks, and i can place them but the what i have placed in v4 they all gone.. only empthy spaces where they where before.. sry again, wouldn't be rude, i am a bit frustrated about the loss of that stuff.. written apologize -> sry to be rude to you.

russjr08

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't be rude, sry, and i tried that with the upper lower case as well and it didn't worked for me. My problem is not does no mods are loaded, my problem is does all the blocks what i placed in v4 are not there anymore after i updated to v5. I can still make the ironfurnace, ironchests, sorter.. all the blocks, and i can place them but the what i have placed in v4 they all gone.. only empthy spaces where they where before.. sry again, wouldn't be rude, i am a bit frustrated about the loss of that stuff.. written apologize -> sry to be rude to you.
Its no problem, apology accepted ^_^, although I'm curious as to why blocks are disappearing even if the mods are installed. Are all modded blocks doing that?

iceDave

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, every single modded block is not there anymore, only the vanilla blocks what i placed are still there.. and like i sad, i can place and craft modded blocks in the world..it is strange and i don't know what i can do about it. I never got that Yes / No screen and i don't have a error message at all. Server and client is starting and run fine.. only the world is stuffed. Like someone was running arround and smashed all modded blocks..

I can make a screen shot if you like

Haruchai

Jul 29, 2019
For the record....

Our host, Fragnet, had Mindcrack available for install this morning. Following directions, I made a backup of the world file, deleted all the old mod folders, configs, etc, installed Mindcrack server, had all our guys update via the launcher, restarted McMyAdmin, set up server type as FTB, started the game server, had everyone connect................... flawless. Not one chunk, texture or block gone or missing.

Thanks for all your work and effort on the Mindcrack update. Your donated free time is much appreciated.

And some of you...you have a right to express yourself, I suppose, but there is an old saying...honey draws more bees than vinegar. Some of you really need to get a grip. Put your parents on the line and let me speak with them... :)

Greytusks

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, every single modded block is not there anymore, only the vanilla blocks what i placed are still there.. and like i sad, i can place and craft modded blocks in the world..it is strange and i don't know what i can do about it. I never got that Yes / No screen and i don't have a error message at all. Server and client is starting and run fine.. only the world is stuffed. Like someone was running arround and smashed all modded blocks..

I can make a screen shot if you like

Tip: if the server or your install loaded your map even once while the mods were not installed properly, it will wipe out all your modded blocks and you will have to restore from your backup afterward. It doesn't matter if you got it to work after that, your map is already altered. You must get it right the 1st time because if you load the map while a mod you used in that map isn't installed properly, your save is toast.

Happened to me yesterday when upgrading our server.

1. Did my backup (1st thing I always do in any upgrade).

2. Erased the mods, config and coremods folders (I don't use anything custom so I don't need to backup my configs, although I always backup just in case).

3. Upload new v8 config and coremods to server as well as the new ftbserver jar (notice something here?)

4. Start server with new v8 jar.

5. Bam, no mods, all mod blocks wiped from map, console has red everywhere.

6. ... Oh my ... I check what went wrong, and I forgot to upload the new v8 mods folder in step 3... ouch, my bad.

7. Upload the mods folder for v8 for real this time.

8. Replace my now dead save with my backup (yay for backups!)

9. Start the server again.

10. Everything works perfectly.

So, if you screwed anything before you started your map, your map is bunkers as when a map is loaded if there are unrecognized IDs they are removed from the map. (That can be useful to fix an item which crashes servers though, liker builders in v7 *coughs coughs*)

Reactions: iceDave
Status
Not open for further replies.