Pack updates and new packs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hirager

Jul 29, 2019
Dear newb script kitties of the FTB development team. Linux is case sensitive. And Java is cross platform. Your ignorance has not gone unnoticed. Please note the file MinecraftForge.zip is not the same as minecraftforge.zip. Oh I could suggest a few distros of Linux since you are new.

P.s Peved that I have to do your bug testing. And rewrite your scripts just to play your mod pack.

Hello, I signed up here specifically for this reason:

It looks like you don't have a Linux QA. I volunteer to take this task of testing FTB on Linux. Please mind that I don't have Windows and don't plan using it ever again.
Do you have any kind of bug tracker installed?

iceDave

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, i need help please.

I downloaded the new Direwolf20 v5.01 modpack and server.. updated my onlineserver and my launcher with the new files.
If i go now in my old world what i used with the Direwolf20 v4 modpack i got no blocks from the mods anymore, only the vanilla blocks are shown.
Where the mod blocks should be its empthy space, nothing there.
I spend so much time in this world, if anyone could help me what i can do to get the blocks back and my world running again that would be great.
I thougt i will start new, in a new world but this what happens take the fun out of me today :( Please help me..

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
This may not matter much to others (I setup mystcraft in mindcrack on my server) but the config lines were changed: (my apologies, I do not know the original version of Direwolf20 this config file is from)
Code:
item {
    I:item.agebook.id=8700
    I:item.linkbook.id=8701
    I:item.notebook.id=8702
    I:item.writingdesk.id=8703
}

to:

Code:
item {
    I:item.agebook.id=1030
    I:item.linkbook.id=1031
    I:item.notebook.id=1032
    I:item.writingdesk.id=1033
}

This caused all of the books I created previously to be deleted. It's inconvenient for me since I have many, many linking books and teleport doors.

I am sorry to hear this, but i have checked against all released pack versions of the DW20 pack and the IDs are always the same :(

---------------------------
Hello, I signed up here specifically for this reason:

It looks like you don't have a Linux QA. I volunteer to take this task of testing FTB on Linux. Please mind that I don't have Windows and don't plan using it ever again.
Do you have any kind of bug tracker installed?

This actually did not happen before this update, we are currently investigating why the launcher "broke". Previously it was not case sensitive at all...
---------------------------
now excuse my ignorance, if i am indeed ignorant, but shouldn't you guys KNOW which ID's are in conflict and thus know which exact blocks might be replaced?
"we didn't find any missing blocks" sounds a little bit clueless to me.
There are times where even Forge is wrong. If a mod changes the name of a block internal FML will complain but there is actually NO mismatch at all!

Reactions: Ashzification

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
I understand this position if the bug is based on any given mod that somebody adds, but by adding Optifine we repair a bug your modpack is causing. A SSP world created with your modpack is after a certain time of playing not playable without adding Optifine (anything under 25fps is not playable).

I think to post a statement that it's not possible to test all cases is a little ignorant, if the only thing we try is to repair a bug your modpack caused.
First off: It is not a BUG that the game gets more "unstable" after some time. Complain to notch and Jeb for the broken engine of Minecraft! And it does not happen to all users....
2nd: So you want us to use a version of Forge we know has one or two game breaking bugs just so people can use a mod we do not have by default?

Reactions: Ashzification

Hirager

Jul 29, 2019
This actually did not happen before this update, we are currently investigating why the launcher "broke". Previously it was not case sensitive at all...

Um, is there any technical reason against case sensitivity of the launcher and mod pack? In the previous version there was a problem where Soartex texture pack was downloaded to case varied folder of Mindcrack, thus making it inaccessible in the game itself. I do want to help you guys with QA. I want to be a good programmer and I need some real world experience with various stages of software development. Obviously you lack Linux quality assurance, because what you pushed is a critical bug which triggers EVERY TIME the Mindrack 8.0.1 pack is run in Linux environment. Have you had someone to test FTB on Linux you would have spotted the problem instantly.

EpicEraser

Jul 29, 2019
Um, is there any technical reason against case sensitivity of the launcher and mod pack?
Case sensitivity is problematic in Windows.
Windows is case aware, meaning that there is a difference between upper and lower case, but the actual browsing is case insensitive.
This is the reason that it is (was? my knowledge stops at XP) hard to change capitalization using Windows Explorer.
The best option is just keeping case sensitivity platform dependent (solves case sensitive / insensitive OSX as well) and making the capitalization correct.

Anyway, off topic. It works just fine after renaming the Forge archive, so no harm done.

Hirager

Jul 29, 2019
Case sensitivity is problematic in Windows.
Windows is case aware, meaning that there is a difference between upper and lower case, but the actual browsing is case insensitive.
This is the reason that it is (was? my knowledge stops at XP) hard to change capitalization using Windows Explorer.
The best option is just keeping case sensitivity platform dependent (solves case sensitive / insensitive OSX as well) and making the capitalization correct.

Anyway, off topic. It works just fine after renaming the Forge archive, so no harm done.
Do I understand you right by thinking this?
Windows allows to save "FILE" and "file" as two files but when looking for "FILE" it does not distinguish it from "file"? Such behavior is outrageous. Anyway, solution to this problem would be to make sure no two files exist with same, case varied name. It definitely does not interfere with case sensitivity of other platforms.

EpicEraser

Jul 29, 2019
Do I understand you right by thinking this?
Windows allows to save "FILE" and "file" as two files but when looking for "FILE" it does not distinguish it from "file"? Such behavior is outrageous.
Nah, Windows does not allow it. But technically it is possible, as NTFS itself is case sensitive (I just tried it using NTFS-3g and I can create two different files abc and abC on NTFS).
It's Windows itself which is (mostly) case insensitive. I don't know what it would do to my files if I tried to delete one of them.

joss

Jul 29, 2019
Note to server admins. The bat, sh, and jar files for starting your server have been renamed.
So do these need to be changed? if so to what? why have they been change?

Would some one please post a How to update your server for Direwolf20 mod packs. Just to check I am doing it correctly.

Thanks
Edit for pasbin log. http://pastebin.com/WGVnPuyC If someone can advise me how to fix this

Hirager

Jul 29, 2019
Nah, Windows does not allow it. But technically it is possible, as NTFS itself is case sensitive (I just tried it using NTFS-3g and I can create two different files abc and abC on NTFS).
It's Windows itself which is (mostly) case insensitive. I don't know what it would do to my files if I tried to delete one of them.

Now I understand. The situation is basically same as in Mac systems, with the difference of choice. Probably the server, corporate and ultimate versions of Windows allow to enable the case sensitivity. Which is NOT a valid technical reason against caring for case sensitivity in the FTB project. It does not break the behavior on other systems. The only breakage can occur in the other direction: when UNIX/Linux specific project gets ported to Windows.

I seriously want to help the FTB crew with testing. I understand if it has to be brought up in some internal discussion, but can I get confirmation that my application will be looked on, please?

cigg

Jul 29, 2019
This was the worst updater in history our server got wiped over, everything is bugged to hell, when are they going to fix things? Wonder if we should cancel the server and wait for the issues to be resolved, were players not programmers. Currently just pissed off!!!

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
This was the worst updater in history our server got wiped over, everything is bugged to hell, when are they going to fix things? Wonder if we should cancel the server and wait for the issues to be resolved, were players not programmers. Currently just pissed off!!!
Now that really helps us ..........

The next time you have an issue please also post logs and a detailed walkthrough of what happened.
I have updated my own server several times now, on my own and with our packs and my world never got wiped!

I have to assume that it was a user fault and not an error on our end.

Taladan

Jul 29, 2019
Another bug to report - Dw20 server running 5.0.1 just updated, players are getting 'Dimension # does not exist' exception in world tick error like this:

Code:
 java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Could not get provider type for dimension 12, does not exist

pastebin'd output from one of them: http://pastebin.com/aqSTqmz0

I can go into these worlds just fine, no crashing, no errors, no problems, but they try to and get that they don't exist.
Tried setting one of the players to Op, but that had no affect against stopping the crashes.
Any ideas?

editted: Corrected pastebin log link.

Thethhron

Jul 29, 2019
I understand this position if the bug is based on any given mod that somebody adds, but by adding Optifine we repair a bug your modpack is causing. A SSP world created with your modpack is after a certain time of playing not playable without adding Optifine (anything under 25fps is not playable).

I think to post a statement that it's not possible to test all cases is a little ignorant, if the only thing we try is to repair a bug your modpack caused.
On this, I actually disagree, though, I am forced to use optifine ( I have to use regardless of any mods however). First and foremost, I never break 20 fps, even with optifine. I generally play around 15-18 fps. 25 fps seems glorious to me. Secondly, there are ways to increase tick rate as explained my a wide variety of individuals. mods always come with a risk of slowing down the game. That's not a "bug" or a "glitch"; that's natural. If I manage to somehow trap villagers in a basement below my house and they then breed there so that I end up with, like, 100 (i had this accidentally happen; it was terrible), the slowing of the game is not due to any mod. that's just the game slowing down from existing entities. if you're going to call it a bug, it's a bug with vanilla, not the modpack. While the mod may be common enough, they shouldn't have to test every case, as you said.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
You backed everything up, though, right?

SublightNova

Jul 29, 2019
wow a zilion mismatched items, forestry and such... looks like a big mess... :/

Console output looks frightning after updating to 5.01 DW... hmm..

Thethhron

Jul 29, 2019
You have to use optifine C1 but still that version is very buggy so you better stick with the old version until a better optifine comes out

so I have to use optifine c1 with the new direwolf pack? glambiscuits. Oh well. Might be a good thing anyway, considering how many issues others are having.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
I would like to point out prior to looking at today's help desk tickets:
At the very top, jjw123 was kind enough to remind everyone to
remember to save backups of your worlds!

Please, I urge everyone to do this, every time there is an update. Even if there is, on the surface, no reason to believe there will be any sort of world-destroying issues.
That being said, if you encounter a 'bug' please replicate it. The only time reporting a bug is of any use is if it can and will happen again. Please report all replicated bugs on the help desk Report them to the new help desk, it is very easy for us to track bugs using it.

A note to people with complaints about bugs:

Please remember this is an ongoing process. No program is truly ever bug-free, especially ones with as many factors as Minecraft with Feed the Beast. This is why you are urged to keep working backups. If something breaks, it's much easier to simply reload a save of a world.

Giddimani

Jul 29, 2019
First off: It is not a BUG that the game gets more "unstable" after some time. Complain to notch and Jeb for the broken engine of Minecraft!. And it does not happen to all users....
2nd: So you want us to use a version of Forge we know has one or two game breaking bugs just so people can use a mod we do no have by default?

Minecraft doesn't get these extreme low framerates with vanilla MC, it is caused by (many) mods, so no reason to point at notch or Jeb.

If this is not a bug, it is supposed to be a feature? I don't understand, but either way, a huge percentage of user use optifine to remove the annoying feature/bug, it's not like a minor mod that gets little use.

Did something happen with the creator of optifine that causes this reaction of you about my critique concerning incompatibility? Seems kinda odd.

You realise there have been nearly no complaints about the version in the old packs, but huge amounts with these update about multiple problems, not only concerning optifine?

Status
Not open for further replies.