Opinions on Microsoft buying Mojang

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

gbusrt

Jul 29, 2019
nothing comming from mojang
could it be a gag order until the deal done
or just nothing to say as nothing is happening

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
I'm just sad that everything of value eventually gets ruined by corporate greed. Minecraft is different and I hope Mojang remain independent.

But if it happens, I suppose I'll have to sod off and find something else to do with my spare time. The absolute last thing I'm going to do is pay any money to Microsoft.

gbusrt

Jul 29, 2019
But if it happens, I suppose I'll have to sod off and find something else to do with my spare time.

think we will ok and everything will carry on as it has now up to 1.8, but release 1.9 now that a big 'what will happen' moment if the sale goes through
and at the monent no one know, but if it go's through you still got a 2 to 3 year lifecycle on 1.8 release as i see it

getting the mods to contine post 1.8 if it happens is going to be interesting to see

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
If they lock off modding, they will lose at least three members of the Minecraft team. Searge(MCP), Grumm(Member of Mindcrack and Forgecraft), and Dinnerbone(Bukkit Dev anybody?).

C

chbachman

Guys, lets wait. We have a few things that we can do.
One. Microsoft allows mods. Good for comminuty.
Two. Microsoft does not allow mods. We make our own Minecraft.
Three. Microsoft makes better Minecraft, and allows mods. Better for community.

Reactions: pizzawolf14

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I'm also a bit worried about platforms that MS doesn't really support like Linux (which is my main platform for playing and developing Minecraft) and PSX.

C

chbachman

I'm also a bit worried about platforms that MS doesn't really support like Linux (which is my main platform for playing and developing Minecraft) and PSX.
Or they could just be looking for more Xbox Development and making money off of Sony.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
As long as they stick to Java, shouldn't really be a problem afaik.

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
Well this isn't good news - http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-09/microsoft-said-near-2-billion-deal-for-minecraft-maker.html

It looks like this deal started a few months back when they were first working on the xbox port and that they were working on it all this time. Even worse it appears that Notch may of initiated it and is planing to leave the company once the deal is complete. As I have a feeling that he sees that his ship has sailed and that he will never come up with anything close to minecraft's success again.

Now as for Microsoft's plans for the company it appears that they intend to put the game on their windows game store. Where they will try to increase sales as well as expanding the merchandise market via slapping the minecraft IP on everything they can.

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
Guys, lets wait. We have a few things that we can do.
One. Microsoft allows mods. Good for comminuty.
Two. Microsoft does not allow mods. We make our own Minecraft.
Three. Microsoft makes better Minecraft, and allows mods. Better for community.

As long as they stick to Java, shouldn't really be a problem afaik.

On other news, Nokia released its last X series android phones last week. If this is something to go by... colour me pessimistic about the future of linux support as well as JAVA!
(Disclaimer: I own a Nokia Lumia, but that doesn't influence my fascination with linux, android or other altternative technologies. I firmly believe ANY monopoly is ultimately bad for us!)

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
I think it's pretty likely that Microsoft will start a rewrite of Minecraft at some point. One, to lock out "unsanctioned" community involvement, and two, to get rid of Java in favor of their own .NET. Until that is done (it might already be underway, with such a big company you never know) we can try to make the best experience out of the versions we have.

Does the Mojang EULA allow to continue playing the versions you paid for (i.e. every version up to 1.8) indefinitely?

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Oh well, my MC will most likely be staying at 1.7 (or 1.8) offline single player world for me to potter around in forever.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Source One
Source Two

What are your opinions?

My personal stance*

Please keep it civil

*Trusted Users do not in any way represent the opinions of FTB itself.

In regards to mods for xbox, all consoles have outrageous developers fees since they are all "closed" systems... You have to pay the manufacturing company to get any info on how the pieces of devices are programmed.

As an example, in 1985 my company was approached by a Chinese customer, who purchased IBM systems from us before clones were available, to port a Chinese graphic word processor from the PC to the Mac, which at the time was a "closed" system. The company owner and I drove down to Cupertino to meet with Apple and even then Apple demanded a $10,000 developer fee plus an outrageous percentage of profits.

These days those fees are into the hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not more.[DOUBLEPOST=1410363677][/DOUBLEPOST]
Oh dear god. Does this mean they will start redacting support for non-windows devices like Linux and Mac and the iDevices?

Why? Microsoft makes Office products for Apple, and it looks like Android (brain-dead Linux) is going to be supported soon, if not already.

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
New theory...

After EULA/Bukkit and subsequent hatefest by some, Mojang decides to show the community how much worse it could become. To that end someone tips off WSJ about the supposed deal.

Community freaks out for a few days. Notch tweets "not going to happen, but I hope you're now glad we're still the good old Mojang"

[godIhopethisistrue]

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
I think what they might do, to not have to go through the whole legal business, is simply releasing all new content as DLC's and prevent modding.

Would you guys please stop freaking out about microsoft and preventing modding? That will not happen. Do you realize how stupid this argument sounds?

Look at this, for god's sake. The game has Microsoft's name on it, and is still moddable.

Now please, FFS, all of you...

Reactions: SynfulChaot