Opinions on Microsoft buying Mojang

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

nvrsbr

Jul 29, 2019
I see nothing good coming from this at all.
I am actually scared about the idea of this happening :p

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
I don't blame him, I'd do the same thing. I just hope he'll put some of the money to good use, whether for gaming or humanity in general.

nvrsbr

Jul 29, 2019
If it wasnt true Notch would have said it wasnt by now.
So lets just say "yes its happening".

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, so, on the level with y'all, skimmed the first page and skipped the rest, but here's my take on it; mildly retarded on both ends.
Mojang may find themselves losing all the cross platform stuff they're working on is being shunted off to the /dev/null section of the team, and microsoft may find themselves buying something that is dead 15 minutes before the deal goes through.

The real question isn't what we have to lose(aka Minecraft being a good game with modding support), but what we have to gain. Mojang may be doing this to attempt to increase the amount of devs they can afford to pay to work on Minecraft. Tighten up loose ends, get things working RIGHT again. And Microsoft? They may just want to bundle it with new versions of the Windows OS, and charge a bit more. End result? Minecraft gets better and is way more popular as a result of everyone and their mother having a copy.

As for Xbox modding support, or rather the lack thereof, keep in mind that's a Console. Modding those isn't generally a good idea. Why? They can barely play the games they run at a framelocked 30 FPS, shittier graphics then the lowest setting we PC gamers have, and of course, no ability to turn the graphics up or down because the console has only one loadout: utter garbage.
You can't mod Minecraft on the Xbone or the PS#WhoGivesAFlyingFuck because they can barely run the game as is!
And here's a funny story on the "can't mod games for consoles" thingy; did you know you can mod games on a Nintendo console, without much fear of bans or whatnot? If you get it working, sweet, feel free to let the word makers know.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I think they can afford to pay their people :p
Yes, but I remember reading that Minecraft wasn't their top priority anymore, so they can only afford a small team for it. And seeing how shitty that team is at times, somehow I doubt Mojang really is able to pay the best of them to work on a older but still active project and still hire on people for newer projects.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I must admit to bias - Microsoft has literally ruined two of my favorite video games in my long lifetime. First it was Links386 golf sim from Access Software in Utah, MS bought them and it wasn't very long after that where the game simply wasn't released anymore. "Links", for those of us who played it for years and years, us lovers of golf both real and virtual... it was over for us. MS bought the developer for big bucks and then killed the game? I just don't get it.

Then there is the sad tale of MS Flight Simulator - another one of my favorite games. I'm not into shooting and killing and all that video game stuff, soaring in gliders on thermals is much more my speed. :) Well, once again, MS just let a very popular and very educational video game wither and die on the vine, or whatever the saying is... Again, I just don't get it - what is WITH this company? Are they inept or is it something else? What is it??!!

And of course, now hear comes this wacky news about MS wanting to buy Mojang. Do I need to say it? "I just don't get it." Again, what are they doing? Are they gonna kill this game too? Why would they want to pay 2 billion for a game that has already made Mojang like 2 billion? (lol) Does MS get all the previous profits from that in the deal too?!?! From Mojang's perspective, I guess it's a no-brainer if you just don't care much anymore, and I think with all the recent hub-bub and hullaballoo over legal crapola, I guess I wouldn't blame em at all if they've realized this is it, the easy game is over and it's now on hard mode from here on out. LOL Sure is one heckuva mess reading about everything going on lately. I said it earlier in another thread - and I feel it more strongly now - we've seen the peak of Minecraft and from here we're on the downhill side. This news just adds to my dismal realization unfortunately. I sure hope I'm wrong cause I love this game, it comes close to satisfying every reason why I play video games and does so much right. It's sad to see it seemingly going all wrong all of a sudden...

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Allow me a moment to don my bedrock armour and drink a fire protection potion before saying this...

I'm not sure how I feel about Microsoft owning Minecraft. That's a discussion all by itself. But I would honestly be pleased to see the game move on from Mojang's hands.

Sent from my Toaster using Tapatalk

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
As for Xbox modding support, or rather the lack thereof, keep in mind that's a Console. Modding those isn't generally a good idea. Why? They can barely play the games they run at a framelocked 30 FPS, shittier graphics then the lowest setting we PC gamers have, and of course, no ability to turn the graphics up or down because the console has only one loadout: utter garbage.
You can't mod Minecraft on the Xbone or the PS#WhoGivesAFlying because they can barely run the game as is!

I started on Xbox, and here is all you need to know about that version: the playable world size is 864x864 blocks. There's a border you can't go past. Think about that! I suppose, looking back on it now, it's quite a miracle they got the game playing on consoles at all. But yeah... it barely runs.

If I have a hope, it's that MS software engineers took a look at the Minecraft experience on Xbox and realized "omg, we can do this so much better! Let's buy them and re-make "Minecraft 2" so it runs infinite-size worlds on consoles - we can do it!" I'm not a total pessimist, despite my anti-MS bias... :) It's okay to dream... let's keep the faith alive! (while realizing it might mean a shiny box on retail shelves with a $69.99 price tag on it hahaha)

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
I must admit to bias - Microsoft has literally ruined two of my favorite video games in my long lifetime. First it was Links386 golf sim from Access Software in Utah, MS bought them and it wasn't very long after that where the game simply wasn't released anymore. "Links", for those of us who played it for years and years, us lovers of golf both real and virtual... it was over for us. MS bought the developer for big bucks and then killed the game? I just don't get it.

Then there is the sad tale of MS Flight Simulator - another one of my favorite games. I'm not into shooting and killing and all that video game stuff, soaring in gliders on thermals is much more my speed. :) Well, once again, MS just let a very popular and very educational video game wither and die on the vine, or whatever the saying is... Again, I just don't get it - what is WITH this company? Are they inept or is it something else? What is it??!!

And of course, now hear comes this wacky news about MS wanting to buy Mojang. Do I need to say it? "I just don't get it." Again, what are they doing? Are they gonna kill this game too? Why would they want to pay 2 billion for a game that has already made Mojang like 2 billion? (lol) Does MS get all the previous profits from that in the deal too?!?! From Mojang's perspective, I guess it's a no-brainer if you just don't care much anymore, and I think with all the recent hub-bub and hullaballoo over legal crapola, I guess I wouldn't blame em at all if they've realized this is it, the easy game is over and it's now on hard mode from here on out. LOL Sure is one heckuva mess reading about everything going on lately. I said it earlier in another thread - and I feel it more strongly now - we've seen the peak of Minecraft and from here we're on the downhill side. This news just adds to my dismal realization unfortunately. I sure hope I'm wrong cause I love this game, it comes close to satisfying every reason why I play video games and does so much right. It's sad to see it seemingly going all wrong all of a sudden...

You're either unaware or actively ignoring some pretty important points with these two games.

A quick google search pulls up some interesting information on "Access Software" later known as "Indie Built". (most of this information is from Wikipedia, so is therefore not a rock solid source but seemed to be within wholey sensible bounds). Access was bought by Microsoft in 1999. A few games were released between this point and 2004, when MS sold the studio to Take-Two Interactive. Take-Two then suddenly closed the studio down in 2006. So it was T2, not MS that killed your game.

As for MS Flight Simulator. Those died off because while they were popular as hell in the 90's and very early 2000's, interest in them fell big time. And with the rising cost of development there just wasn't (and still isn't) a big enough player base to make it a good investment. So yes, MS did kill off their flight sim. But in that case it was a very valid (though sad for some) business choice. Flight sims are a very niche market.

So I still hold to the belief that people need to chill out, and wait to see what happens. Maybe the sale will happen. Maybe MS will kill off the game/modding. We not only don't know, but can't know what's going to happen. And there actually is a decent chance that things will work out well in the end.

Vasa

Jul 29, 2019
This is what i have read about selling Minecraft to Microsoft:

What we have learned over the years is to never underestimate the power of Microsoft's money - even though the author of Minecraft and founder of Mojang, Persson Markkus known as an opponent of big corporations, even he succumbed to the offer of Microsoft.

It is not a rumor says that this information is transferred prominent Wall Street Journal, which also claims that the entire work will be completed by the end of this week. What is interesting is that Persson who made the decision to hand over the company to hand it to Microsoft and after a close with a new director Xbox One division, Phil Spencer.

It is not difficult to understand why MS did this - Minecraft has already sold 50 million copies, and now that is in their possession, Microsoft may block the publication of games on PlayStation consoles (where work is already underway), and even that game is confined to the One Xbox console.

From SreenFun.rs (its most popular Serbian gaming magazine and their informations are mostly true).

My opinion on this is that Microsoft should leave Minecraft alone,or they will stop to develop Minecraft when they see that game doesnt pay off well with theit rules.
And if they eventually shutdown Minecraft i will stay at 1.7.10 forever i guess, until i get dead bored. :)
Or play cs... :p
Or even get married haha

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
As for MS Flight Simulator. Those died off because while they were popular as hell in the 90's and very early 2000's, interest in them fell big time. And with the rising cost of development there just wasn't (and still isn't) a big enough player base to make it a good investment. So yes, MS did kill off their flight sim. But in that case it was a very valid (though sad for some) business choice. Flight sims are a very niche market.

I'm also not entirely sure where he was in the early 2000s but there was this pretty big thing that happened and brought severe negative media attention to MS Flight Simulator. The series disappeared shortly thereafter. I strongly doubt that was a Microsoft false-flag operation run as an excuse to kill one of their own product lines.

Reactions: pizzawolf14

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
I'm also not entirely sure where he was in the early 2000s but there was this pretty big thing that happened and brought severe negative media attention to MS Flight Simulator. The series disappeared shortly thereafter. I strongly doubt that was a Microsoft false-flag operation run as an excuse to kill one of their own product lines.

That may have been a contributing factor. I still hold that even without the attack, flight simulators were suffering from waning interest anyway.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, but I remember reading that Minecraft wasn't their top priority anymore, so they can only afford a small team for it.
Exactly.

People are short-sighted in this thread, in that it seems like they think Mojang = Minecraft. Minecraft is just one IP that belongs to Mojang. Have they heard of Scrolls? It could be seen as a direct competitor to Hearthstone, so going after Blizzard's market share in this niche then are we?