On the 31st October 2019, the partnership between FTB and Twitch will be ending

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
But it only takes 2 minutes to post it out here that it is being worked on. Going by what we can see, it seems to now be abandoned.
The old person they had doing the news couldn't do the news anymore. They haven't found a replacement mainly cause mostly non paid spots on the forums. They do update Twitter most times but there isn't much point post 60 times they are still working on it so they wait to update people when they have something new to update about.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
Lets just say this:
FTB Launcher V2 is in development since May 27, 2013 so i dont expect a new Launcher to be ready until Minecraft 3.0
Not the same launcher - a lot of stuff happened after that post (curse, twitch, end of stuff etc.)

The launcher in the making now is time wise connected to the end of partnership (or around that time frame).

LegendRed01

Feb 13, 2020
This was not meant to be rude or anything, just that i personaly waited for a new Launcher since 2013 and i can wait a longer just hope that we get some information screenshots etc soon so we know that we can expect something ^^

even tho i dont know how it looks i think you guy will put alot of effort into it.
so great work

banks

Feb 16, 2020
I would like to point out that they said they would delete the FTB account, and, 5 months later, they still have not.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Slowpoke101 streams on Twitch, lately he's been playing some game called "Satisfactory" which is in early access on Steam. I did watch his stream for a short while about a week ago, he was playing Minecraft vanilla 1.15 but I didn't disrupt him by asking what's up with FTB these days. Given the fact he's never streaming anything FTB... I have to assume its over for good, at least under Slowpoke. But until someone actually says something about FTB... who really knows. Keep waiting I guess, we've waited for months now, what's a few more? :)

Project Ozone 3 has enough content to keep me busy for the rest of 2020, so I'm hoping 2021 will be the year for FTB's revival!!

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
Slowpoke101 streams on Twitch, lately he's been playing some game called "Satisfactory" which is in early access on Steam. I did watch his stream for a short while about a week ago, he was playing Minecraft vanilla 1.15 but I didn't disrupt him by asking what's up with FTB these days. Given the fact he's never streaming anything FTB... I have to assume its over for good, at least under Slowpoke. But until someone actually says something about FTB... who really knows. Keep waiting I guess, we've waited for months now, what's a few more? :)

Project Ozone 3 has enough content to keep me busy for the rest of 2020, so I'm hoping 2021 will be the year for FTB's revival!!
Streamers most time stream the games they like to play and/or let the community they stream to decide what games get streamed. I don't watch his stuff but i don't know how he decides to play. However, you shouldn't base your view on that. he streamed the Minecraft stuff as part of a HCMC challenge I believe and right before that streamed World of warcraft and eve online. He might just not want to stream Curse content. You should watch more like Direwolf stuff. He will have a new pack out sometimes and where he puts it will tell you more. Also, be patient.

Reactions: 1 person

Rick Carter

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, been watching Direwolf and his MC.Eternal series... playing along and it is rather interesting.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
Hey guys, straight from their Twitter feed. "It has been a long time coming, but with huge thanks to our friends at @CreeperHost we now have a functioning Launcher v2. More news will come over the coming days, but here is an early look https://t.co/8hgsvKinPN"

Reactions: 2 people

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys, straight from their Twitter feed. "It has been a long time coming, but with huge thanks to our friends at @CreeperHost we now have a functioning Launcher v2. More news will come over the coming days, but here is an early look https://t.co/8hgsvKinPN"

Finally! Really glad we finally have an updated launcher on the way. Hopefully we will see more activity on the forum.

TwoThe

Apr 1, 2020
I don't know what lead to that decision and frankly that's none of my business anyways, but one thing I can tell for sure: no one benefits from having to use multiple launchers that all do the same, especially not if they start fighting against each other.

The benefit of the Twitch launcher - as horribly programmed as it is - was that you had one source for all things Minecraft.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
I don't know what lead to that decision and frankly that's none of my business anyways, but one thing I can tell for sure: no one benefits from having to use multiple launchers that all do the same, especially not if they start fighting against each other.

The benefit of the Twitch launcher - as horribly programmed as it is - was that you had one source for all things Minecraft.
There is like 3 or 4 other modded launchers out there.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
There is like 3 or 4 other modded launchers out there.
I think there's 5 total.
Twitch, Technic, MultiMC, Vanilla, and the FTB launcher.
They all kinda have issues.
Twitch is a buggy mess.
Technic is just ehhh not great.
You can't download mods on MultiMC
The vanilla one is pain to use.
And the FTB Launcher, at least on my last use, is still really small and useless.

Ommina

Aug 14, 2014
There is also GDLauncher. I get the impression that it is still a bit rough around the edges, but given recent GitHub activity, it appears they are preparing for a somewhat significant bugfix / feature release.

Whether it will ever be both pleasant to use and reasonably bug free remains to be seen.

TwoThe

Apr 1, 2020
There is also ATLauncher.

All of those have the same thing in common: they provide little benefit, because they only allow to download a very small subset of Minecraft mod-packs. Except for Twitch launcher, which aside from all other issues at least allows to download almost all mods and mod-packs. And with that it was a breakthrough for the Minecraft community.

Now my guess is that the community doesn't really care which company is behind that launcher as long as their favorite mods and packs can be downloaded with it. If FTB now puts out a new restricted launcher I am not sure if that will be widely accepted. And since the modpack submission seems to be closed, it looks very restricted to me.

There is also the question on how that launcher will download the necessary mods? If a format different from Twitch has to be used, many mod-authors will probably not be eager to pack their creations in various different formats and upload and manage the same project twice. If the new FTB Launcher can also download from CurseForge that would be fine, but I am wondering if that would come with any legal issues considering the recent break-up.

In essence: what we need is not another brick in the wall, but one launcher to rule them all. So if you want the FTB Launcher to be that one launcher to rule them all it should be designed as an open launcher for everyone.

Reactions: 1 person