[Official] We Need Your Help - Launcher Ideas

techno156

Jul 29, 2019
Is it possible to add command line argument to override installPath directive to partially achieve this feature? I wanted to do some regression tests but downloading ~130Mbytes every time I want to change modpack version is something I really do not want to do. (Current net speed: max 30kbytes/s)
In other words, save previously downloaded versions?

Zaes

Jul 29, 2019
I know that you guys have a set idea on how the launcher is going to look, but I found this image in an unrelated google search and I thought that it would be a great interface for the launcher :)
portals1_preview.jpg

Reactions: techno156

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Here's a feature that even a bitter young man like I would love to see introduced to the FTb Launcher: Empty Packs! Comes bundled with Forge(and any bits of forge that are needed), and NOTHING ELSE!
Thus one could add what they want to the pack, sorta like using MultiMC. This would be actually very nice to have, since MultiMC can be a pain to get it to do all the things I liked about the FTB Launcher(easily set perma-gen space and ram limits, change default screen size, and other things I can't access currently since I'm updating the FTB Launcher right now).

techno156

Jul 29, 2019
Here's a feature that even a bitter young man like I would love to see introduced to the FTb Launcher: Empty Packs! Comes bundled with Forge(and any bits of forge that are needed), and NOTHING ELSE!
Thus one could add what they want to the pack, sorta like using MultiMC. This would be actually very nice to have, since MultiMC can be a pain to get it to do all the things I liked about the FTB Launcher(easily set perma-gen space and ram limits, change default screen size, and other things I can't access currently since I'm updating the FTB Launcher right now).
So, instances?

Jinbobo

Jul 29, 2019
MultiMC can be a pain to get it to do all the things I liked about the FTB Launcher(easily set perma-gen space and ram limits, change default screen size, and other things I can't access currently since I'm updating the FTB Launcher right now).
ummm yeah
Code:
Easily..       |FTB Launcher   |MultiMC
---------------+---------------+--------
set perm-gen   |No             |Yes   
set ram limits |Yes            |Yes   
set window size|Yes            |Yes

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Setting permgen is easy in the FTB Launcher...
ummm yeah
Code:
Easily..       |FTB Launcher   |MultiMC
---------------+---------------+--------
set perm-gen   |No             |Yes  
set ram limits |Yes            |Yes  
set window size|Yes            |Yes

Easily set up, sure, but easily set it once and I'm good? No need to copy those edits from one instance to another? That's why I like using the FTB Launcher, for one.

Jinbobo

Jul 29, 2019
Easily set up, sure, but easily set it once and I'm good? No need to copy those edits from one instance to another? That's why I like using the FTB Launcher, for one.
I believe that's what this button is for lol
7DNCY.png

techno156

Jul 29, 2019
I'm curious as to why so many people meddle with their PermGen settings. :p I've never had to do any of that. :p

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
Here, I got a cool idea for ya:
If you go download FTB monster, for example, and then go to edit mods, there are a bunch of mods that are disabled by default. How does the common user know why the mod is disabled by default? It would be cool if you added a note or a warning for why a mod was disabled. Like for example, Blood Magic is disabled for having blood, Thaumic Tinkers KAMI (is that what it's called?) is disabled for being OP, etc.

techno156

Jul 29, 2019
Here, I got a cool idea for ya:
If you go download FTB monster, for example, and then go to edit mods, there are a bunch of mods that are disabled by default. How does the common user know why the mod is disabled by default? It would be cool if you added a note or a warning for why a mod was disabled. Like for example, Blood Magic is disabled for having blood, Thaumic Tinkers KAMI (is that what it's called?) is disabled for being OP, etc.
You mean a kind of tooltip for it?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Besides, I'm not sure if you guys are really understanding what I'm trying to say...

I understand what you're saying (and think it would be nice in some cases), but I have seen the suggestion either in here or in another thread before.

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
I understand what you're saying (and think it would be nice in some cases), but I have seen the suggestion either in here or in another thread before.
Anyone who finds the person who suggested my suggestion before a suggested it gets a cookie. I didn't see it through this thread though, but I was just scanning it.