Now Listed - Banished V 1.4.0 [Magic][Cave world][HQM][Combat][Survival]

goth_child67

Jul 29, 2019
It'd be useful if we got some variety of error message:
"You can only sleep at night."
Etc. The way it usually works, right?

Anyone know if you can use sunlight detectors in a caveworld? Sure would be nice.
You might be able to I am not entirely sure give me a minute and I can check.
EDIT: No they do not work.

Last edited:

Hazzor

Jul 29, 2019
so will the extra mob spawning affect current games or will I have to start a new one?

Also it's kinda sad to hear that there will be no more geonach jumpscares
they were kinda funny

Last edited:

TheElectricCake

Jul 29, 2019
so will the extra mob spawning affect current games or will I have to start a new one?

Also it's kinda sad to hear that there will be no more geonach jumpscares
they were kinda funny

Totally agree! I've had my share of those. They're not that deadly so long as you just keep doing the reflexive thing and flail blindly away at them. ;D

It's particularly hilarious when one comes out the gate and is trying to explain something while grabbing some coal and WHAAAAAAAAAAAKILLITKILLITKILLITAAAAAAh...Right, where was I?

Took a few minutes and watched your Banished LPs so far! Very nice. I am about to restart my LP because the 1.1.1 update's 8-days-to-DOOM has made getting a safe room an insanely high priority, and by taking a few off-camera bashes at it I have figured out a fairly reliable way of doing it...IF you can find a large enough room.

Last edited:

Hazzor

Jul 29, 2019
Totally agree! I've had my share of those. They're not that deadly so long as you just keep doing the reflexive thing and flail blindly away at them. ;D

It's particularly hilarious when one comes out the gate and is trying to explain something while grabbing some coal and WHAAAAAAAAAAAKILLITKILLITKILLITAAAAAAh...Right, where was I?

Took a few minutes and watched your Banished LPs so far! Very nice. I am about to restart my LP because the 1.1.1 update's 8-days-to-DOOM has made getting a safe room an insanely high priority, and by taking a few off-camera bashes at it I have figured out a fairly reliable way of doing it...IF you can find a large enough room.

I was trying to figure out whether or not I need to restart mine, I updated but I don't think a lot of the changes will affect current saves, I'd just play up to roughly where I am and then start recording it though

BaileyH

Jul 29, 2019
There is no need to restart worlds, there were no world gen changes, just play style tweaks.

TheElectricCake

Jul 29, 2019
I was trying to figure out whether or not I need to restart mine, I updated but I don't think a lot of the changes will affect current saves, I'd just play up to roughly where I am and then start recording it though

There is no need to restart worlds, there were no world gen changes, just play style tweaks.

That's what I did if I died in hardcore mode, previously.

But I am restarting from scratch SPECIFICALLY to show how to do a "rush-job safe room" that will be fairly defensible against noobpillaring/digging/otherwise nasty mobs.

And I've finished it and it's rendering now. I will probably upload it tomorrow morning.

Actually it was a DANG NASTY mess. The start location was fairly sweet, with sheep and a cow spawn (but they all wandered into lava), but I got myself unexpectedly dead before having myself saved to a bed, and so about 15 minutes or so of the video is "And this is what it's like to try to get home with nothing but your soulbound gear, in the dark, aaaaaaaaaaahhhh!"

But I DID get the "safe room" built.

So maybe that'll help somebody. XD

TheElectricCake

Jul 29, 2019
...And it's up.

Second Let's Play reboot, this time to 1.1.1, with the majority of the safe room setup explored and explained and an almost ten-minute run through the dark (successful!) because I died and hadn't been able to set my spawn point.

devryb

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any need for Mine/Battlegear mod on this? There's a pretty easy to recreate crash that only happens on servers with it.

piter50

Jul 29, 2019
...And it's up.

Second Let's Play reboot, this time to 1.1.1, with the majority of the safe room setup explored and explained and an almost ten-minute run through the dark (successful!) because I died and hadn't been able to set my spawn point.
OH man, i was watching and when you did the 1st survival quest, i was like, man he should eat some apples to get back to full health. And put down that bed so he doesnt spawn in the middle of nowhere.....doh!

Zarvoxbe

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not a huge fan of lycanite mob and the dig-through-everything mobs doesn't make me happy but I choose to give a try to the new update (1.1.1).

Drastic made a good job with Hubris and I've got a lot of fun with it, why this new modpack doesn't me feel the same ?

I made three worlds and die quickly all the times, I have enought time to place torch.

The first death a creeper explode in my back, the second a skeleton whiter me and his friend finish the job and the third an afrit spawn from a giant pool of lava and set me on fire.

I have one thing in mind "Drastic why did you do with this ?" it's like playing Blood and Bones but with eyes shut off !

Well if people like being instakill at spawn or having zombies mine, pilar and spaw everywere It's there choice but not mine.

Since serious balancing (I know it's a beta) and adding/removing some mods (dynamic light ?) I don't play it anymore.

In his state this pack is not for me, sorry.

Hazzor

Jul 29, 2019
I certainly don't think it's supposed to be easy but to be honest I don't really think that it's THAT hard, I've not had much trouble with lycanite's mobs. the bigger ones are pretty easy to avoid in my experience and the smaller ones aren't particularly hard to kill, especially if you just rush iron sword, shield and as much armour as you can make.

It quickly becomes pretty easy to survive once you have a few of the decent spells. but to each their own :eek:

TheElectricCake

Jul 29, 2019
I have to go with Hazzor on this one. While it IS possible to get jacked by the RNG and Lycanite's (for example, the very first time I made a 1.1.1 test world, I had some nasty world-gen lag on going through the gate and was at half-health before I could do ANYTHING! I died...), it's also possible to survive fairly well so long as you hit the ground running and focus on finding defensible positions (A defensible position against phantoms is one where there is too little room for them to come out of the walls and use their long-range fear projectile attack on you...But you can melee any part of them that starts coming through the wall and knock them back out. It's easy to beat up a phantom if all you ever see are its skirts!). Geonachs? Keep backing and pound the hell out of them. Lobbers? Hold the high ground so lava drains AWAY from you and you do more damage. Against some mobs you MUST commit to full offense. If you charge in and then panic at 1/3 health, you will not survive running away again, but if you just beat them down you'll survive.

In my latest let's play, I was unable to set my spawnpoint when I first came through, and I got swacked before I remembered to try it again. This resulted in me making a 10 minute run through the dark after fighting off multiple mobs at once with my QUESTBOOK because I didn't realize I had my soulbound items (I thought I was just punching). I had nothing but soulbound pickaxe, soulbound questbook, and a couple of stone picks which I made in the dark using wood acquired via Dark Power. I could barely see anything (it is MUCH clearer and easier to see on the let's play, let's hear it for high-contrast video post-processing!) and I couldn't find any coal to make torches (I only had enough dark power for a few wood...I wasn't going to make a furnace and burn 2 wood to get 4 torches!).

So that's kind of "worst case scenario" and it is entirely doable if you think fast, don't panic (much, you're allowed to momentarily freak at geonachs), and play to the resources you have at the moment (nothing but a pick? make a damn tunnel. That way you can only be attacked from 2 directions (barring phantoms) and even phantoms that try to come at you through the walls are in melee range immediately!).

So far the current difficulty seems to reward quick thinking and having a plan. So have a plan. Have a plan for making shelter. Have a plan for what to do when you've been killed and you're stuck making the Worst Possible Retrieval Run. Everything is easier when you have a plan.

Those are things that we all do almost without thinking in Vanilla. Mods make it a bit more complex, but still...If you've got a plan and you immediately start acting on it, you should have a lot less trouble. When you die, figure out why! 9 times out of 10, when your first impulse is to say 'Well that mob is just unfair/OP!', with a little reasoning, you can figure out some way to change the terrain or change your situation so you have the upper hand.

Sometime today I'll be uploading my LP with my finished "8th day shelter."

BaileyH

Jul 29, 2019
I will also be releasing some difficulty tweaks tonight to clarify up some things as well as make life a tiny bit easier.

BaileyH

Jul 29, 2019
Patch 1.1.2
  • Mobs will no longer intentionally grief chests or beds.
  • Breaching Creepers disabled.
  • Can now obtain obsidian with dark power.
  • Sugar cane no longer requires the seed quest
  • More documentation across the board
  • No longer need iron helmet or boots, just leggings and chest.
  • Disabled derpy irrelevant events.
  • Added Dynamic Lighting - Can be disabled client side with no issue.
  • You will now receive a ton more dark power for completing the base quests - enough to get a spell or two.
  • Clink mob quest.

Reactions: Wraithflay

shadowreject

Jul 29, 2019
So, since knowing what day it is, in the early game at least, is a big deal currently. What are your thoughts about adding Ingame Info XML or some sort of calendar mod?

TheElectricCake

Jul 29, 2019
Patch 1.1.2
  • Mobs will no longer intentionally grief chests or beds.
  • Breaching Creepers disabled.
  • Can now obtain obsidian with dark power.
  • Sugar cane no longer requires the seed quest
  • More documentation across the board
  • No longer need iron helmet or boots, just leggings and chest.
  • Disabled derpy irrelevant events.
  • Added Dynamic Lighting - Can be disabled client side with no issue.
  • You will now receive a ton more dark power for completing the base quests - enough to get a spell or two.
  • Clink mob quest.
Mmmm, I hadn't realized they'd deliberately detonate on beds and chests. I just figured their AI was being dumb and they weren't going around the chests.

Obsidian doesn't seem terribly hard to get. Grues and Phantoms both drop it, and it's possible some other things do, too. I had one verdant grue drop NINE BLOCKS OF OBSIDIAN. Crazy. Most seem to drop 0, 2 or 3 blocks. But I guess having the quest removes the element of bad luck in the RNG for people who want to build defensible structures.

More documentation == always a good thing. One of the things I loved about the way most HQM mods work is how they walk you through mods you've never seen before (like Aura Cascade). One of the very, very few difficulties I had with Hubris was how uneven the quest book was about that. For instance, it was very explicit about how you got the Ars Magica book, but there wasn't a hint as to where to find an incubated egg and it took me a long time before I finally figured out where it was in Thaumcraft.

Derpy irrelevant events...Is this like Raptor Rampage and such, which actually was kinda cool since I had 4 spawn near me at once and had to really work to defend myself. Or is it the REALLY derpy ones like the poop one, whatever the hell that was?

Getting a few spells out the gate seems like a good idea for dark power. OTOH, in short order you're probably killing so many mobs that you end up having tons of the stuff. For me the biggest deal was always remembering to go into my quest book and keep resetting the quests so I'd get credit again.