Now Listed - Banished V 1.4.0 [Magic][Cave world][HQM][Combat][Survival]

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
Playing packs like this proves to me what a masochist I really am.

finally found a nice place to start building after making stairway through 100 m up or so and basking in my nice little spot when a red cap skel picked me up and threw me all the way back down to bottom landing in water. Still working my way back up again now lol

anyways, my real question: is there ANY way to disable or mute the ambient noises in the caveworld mod? I can't google any info and it's the one thing that's really ruining the game for me atm since the volume it's playing is like twice the volume of all the other things and can't hear mobs or anything else while it's playing and also going to wake up the wife and she'll pick me up and throw me down to the first floor to live on couch if I'm not careful.

SeaWind5982

Jul 29, 2019
Wouldn't that be an option in the sound section of the menu? I have like all sounds turned off besides the mobs so i know when i hear them coming.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
Wouldn't that be an option in the sound section of the menu? I have like all sounds turned off besides the mobs so i know when i hear them coming.
I'm specifically talking about sounds specific to the caveworld, not normal ambient sounds
and yes, most likely one of the sound options would turn off those noises but also turn off noises such as picking blocks and such which are important. dunno if the normal ambient noise is what, but was hoping there'd be a config option that's hidden or something.

Cee Jay

Jul 29, 2019
I'm specifically talking about sounds specific to the caveworld, not normal ambient sounds
and yes, most likely one of the sound options would turn off those noises but also turn off noises such as picking blocks and such which are important. dunno if the normal ambient noise is what, but was hoping there'd be a config option that's hidden or something.
I was having the same problem and then I found the "Ambient/Environment" slider in sound options. I have no clue how I didn't notice that slider before but I'm pretty sure that controls all those caveworld sounds. It worked for the one that was currently playing when I lowered the slider at least. I also haven't noticed any other sounds missing so it is probably safe to just use the slider.

Last edited:

SilverDk

Jul 29, 2019
I think I can't really enjoy the pack as much as before (before the epic siege mod and those crazy spawn rate). Previously I can explore the cave system while looking for mobs to kill and gain dark power, now I can't even explore anywhere coz I'll be flooded by mob before I know it...even organise stuff in base seems impossible as the mobs will just appear out of nowhere suddenly and kill you...

Guess I'll continue to watch the thread and see if anyone got a good tip on how to survive and play on this modpack...

P/S: at least bnb have morning for people to explore outside....just my 2 cents

darthwesix

Jul 29, 2019
I think I can't really enjoy the pack as much as before (before the epic siege mod and those crazy spawn rate). Previously I can explore the cave system while looking for mobs to kill and gain dark power, now I can't even explore anywhere coz I'll be flooded by mob before I know it...even organise stuff in base seems impossible as the mobs will just appear out of nowhere suddenly and kill you...

Guess I'll continue to watch the thread and see if anyone got a good tip on how to survive and play on this modpack...

turn on gamerule keep inventory if it is to hard for you and disable the siege mod

Reactions: BaileyH

TheElectricCake

Jul 29, 2019

Several good tips have been given so far.

1. Make a small room that's superdefensible in midair and built so you can attack things trying to break into it (that means using stone walls for the walls and having a hole in the floor and ceiling so you can hack at things trying to mine through the floor or ceiling). Make it out of obsidian as much as you can. This is now SUPER EASY since you can buy obsidian with dark power instead of hunting grues or phantoms.

2. Light up the whole area around your base out to several chunks distance. Keep expanding the lighted area. Make sure to expand it up and down into caves above and below you.

3. Set up turrets and place fences or other barriers around them so mobs can't come up and hit them. A turret needs to hit a zombie several times (and their aim is lousy) to kill it. The zombie can kill the turret in a couple of hits. Protect your turrets so they can protect you.

cannajan

Jul 29, 2019
I'm loving the pack, started on 1.1.1 with no real idea about difficulty, were we supposed to end up away from the spawn/portal when we died? I used teleport to get back to deathpoint as I didnt have as much as a pick at the time. I died alot, but once I got the bed it wasnt a huge problem. you have to learn - stone blocks seemed to stop the creepers bombing the walls and the diggers, (ty @blood n bones) I made a fairly safe base, not 100% but most things that come through the walls are easily killed.
the trouble was its hard to get much done, and I was worried that my aura cascade stuff would get blown up, lost half a chest and other bits to explosions, so I am really glad to see that you've toned it down a bit.
I'm starting botania and now I feel a bit safer I will place my aura cascade as I understand it will double my ore:p - wish I'd known sooner,(yeah I know I should have found out more about the mod, and I have watched some, but its a new mod and you know there will be more idiots like me :p) maybe you could leave the first few aura cascade quests visable, then we could learn about it.
anyone got ideas on getting netherwrack? or do #I just goto the nether

BaileyH

Jul 29, 2019
You will find an occasional hell biome in the cave world, keep exploring. It also holds nether quartz.

mitchthequaker

Jul 29, 2019
The quest for the rod of the Skies is not working i have made 2 of them and it cant detect them, i have tried using the manual detect option but it still cant find it.

BaileyH

Jul 29, 2019
The quest for the rod of the Skies is not working i have made 2 of them and it cant detect them, i have tried using the manual detect option but it still cant find it.

Hmm. I will look into it, in the mean time you can force complete it with your /hqm edit book.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Think siege mod is a huge pain in a cave world since not only are they tunneling to get you they're also making unlighted areas to spawn more mobs at the same time. While floating box strats work they seem exploitative of limited AI, not really within the spirit of the mod.

Hmm, used the dungeon caller. It dropped me far enough to take half my health, landed me in the dark on top of a mob spawner between water and lava. Of course the lava spawned lycanites mobs that I couldn't get away from and I died. Upon respawn I'm not at my bed, much less my base. As far as I can tell I'm nowhere near either of them. Kind of frustrating.

Last edited:

Cee Jay

Jul 29, 2019
Just completed the Memory Fragment quest on a server and got "That player cannot be found" when i dropped the fragment. Was that the correct method? I wasn't able to right click it so I assumed toss = drop.

BaileyH

Jul 29, 2019
Just completed the Memory Fragment quest on a server and got "That player cannot be found" when i dropped the fragment. Was that the correct method? I wasn't able to right click it so I assumed toss = drop.

Uhh....that shouldn't happen. Are you on a server?

SilverDk

Jul 29, 2019
turn on gamerule keep inventory if it is to hard for you and disable the siege mod
I'll try to stick to what Drastic want us to play but thanks for the info :)

Several good tips have been given so far.

1. Make a small room that's superdefensible in midair and built so you can attack things trying to break into it (that means using stone walls for the walls and having a hole in the floor and ceiling so you can hack at things trying to mine through the floor or ceiling). Make it out of obsidian as much as you can. This is now SUPER EASY since you can buy obsidian with dark power instead of hunting grues or phantoms.

2. Light up the whole area around your base out to several chunks distance. Keep expanding the lighted area. Make sure to expand it up and down into caves above and below you.

3. Set up turrets and place fences or other barriers around them so mobs can't come up and hit them. A turret needs to hit a zombie several times (and their aim is lousy) to kill it. The zombie can kill the turret in a couple of hits. Protect your turrets so they can protect you.

Thanks for the tips. Drastic maybe you might want to add some tips to OP as tips or fact just to help people like me...

I'll try again...

BaileyH

Jul 29, 2019
That would be why, it may be certain plugins blocking commands, but it works in single player. Not much I can do about it, sorry!

TheElectricCake

Jul 29, 2019
Think siege mod is a huge pain in a cave world since not only are they tunneling to get you they're also making unlighted areas to spawn more mobs at the same time. While floating box strats work they seem exploitative of limited AI, not really within the spirit of the mod.

Hmm, used the dungeon caller. It dropped me far enough to take half my health, landed me in the dark on top of a mob spawner between water and lava. Of course the lava spawned lycanites mobs that I couldn't get away from and I died. Upon respawn I'm not at my bed, much less my base. As far as I can tell I'm nowhere near either of them. Kind of frustrating.

How is it exploitative?

Epic Siege Mobs can still see you using X-ray. They can still mine through the ceiling, drop on your roof and start trying to dig through (which is why I advised building your box with murder holes so you can attack things on your roof). They can still noobpillar up and try digging through your floor (same thing, leave holes you can strike down through). They can still bridge sideways to your box and attack the walls, and you have to be ready to stop them there.

It's no different from building a barricade or lining the walls of a cave with obsidian except that you can (1) see the "outside" of your wall and hit them before they finish mining through it and (2) by building a small box you ensure that phantoms have to be in your sword range before you can hit them. You MUST actively defend it or they WILL come and kill you. You can't build the whole thing out of obsidian and just sit in it or sooner or later you'll open the door to ten thousand slimy, slimy things that've been waiting to say "Hi." Not to mention at least some of the mobs have diamond tools and apparently can break obsidian.

Drastic has included turrets for tower defense. If you don't build a base inside an open area, those turrets don't have anything to defend. Barricades are a part of tower defense. Drastic even changed the Dark Power quest line to allow you to purchase obsidian directly, rather than hunting obsidian-dropping mobs. I don't see how using that obsidian to create buildings with walls that take longer to break isn't within the spirit of the mod.

I don't see how this is more exploitative than any other building strategy. When you say someone is using an exploit, you're effectively saying they are cheating. I don't rightly appreciate that insinuation, sirrah.

You are welcome to play the game however you like it, of course, but please don't tell people who are using fairly straightforward defensive structural tactics (why call them "siege" mobs if there's no defensive structure? "Siege" means to assault a fortification!) that they are cheating or "not in the spirit of the mod."

------

NOTE FOR DRASTIC:

...And speaking of "exploits" which are nevertheless a part of standard minecraft strategy, in my latest let's play I realized that apparently the endless spring trick (2x2 hole, diagonally opposed water source blocks) has been disabled. The only time I've ever seen that done before was Crash Landing, and since this isn't a thirst-based mod I'm curious about it. Is that intentional, Drastic?