Non-renewable Items?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
Is this per tick? Second?

Per tick. Also, the chance may be lower than 0.01%.

Plus, I don't think Greg could put in a free MV/HV/EV/whatever it is generator without adding some kind of risk to using it. The power generation would easily overpower solars, and instead of having to use a bunch of parts to get an advanced solar panel that only generates MV you could just use 8 diamond blocks and a tome of alkahest to get far more power than a solar panel could supply.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
And a crapton of iridium :p, and another crapton of flux
(1 crapton=2.45 butt-tons).

And if greg's balancing it for the FTB Pack before Xeno's came out with that conversion, then he probably wouldn't have it in there.
But it is a lot of Iridium. And the flux goes through the roof.

Reactions: Whovian

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
And Rubies are renewable from Redstone. You centrifuge it to get Ruby dust, and Implosion Compress it.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft should make it so that Fortune enchant on Sickles/Grafters increases the drop rate for Saplings out of Silverwood trees. That way, with a Thaumium Grafter with Fortune III you could get at least close to an acceptable guaranteed 1 sapling per tree. Which would be very nice. Or make a recipe requiring Silverwood Logs and Leafs that gives you a Silverwood Sapling. That would also work out pretty great.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft should make it so that Fortune enchant on Sickles/Grafters increases the drop rate for Saplings out of Silverwood trees. That way, with a Thaumium Grafter with Fortune III you could get at least close to an acceptable guaranteed 1 sapling per tree. Which would be very nice. Or make a recipe requiring Silverwood Logs and Leafs that gives you a Silverwood Sapling. That would also work out pretty great.

then you would get guarantee a sapling every time, just use shears, chop it down, and craft it.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
Yep, that's more or less the intention of my suggestion. Maybe add in the recipe, but remove the random drops out of the tree, that way, in order to get saplings, you would have to already have moved farther down in the Thaumcraft research tree, and harvest the tree very carefully in order to maximize the leaf blocks you get with the Shears, to get more saplings with the recipe later. This would make Silverwood Trees a renewable resource, but i don't think it's overpowered, especially if the recipe is further down the Thaumcraft research tree, meaning that before you can get access to what's basically Grow Your Own Pure Node (tm), you will need to have dealt with a lot of flux in the meantime... I'd like that better than my previous suggestion, actually. A guaranteed 100% way of getting a sapling, but removing the random drop aspect of it. I'd personally put it at the same tech level as Crystal Clusters, but before Crystal Core.

The way it is right now, sometimes you get 2 or even 3 saplings out of a tree, several times in a row, and end up with a lot of saplings, and sometimes you harvest 3 or 4 trees and get no saplings. Making the process of getting a Sapling more involved with Thaumcraft research is nice, and being able to grow a Pure Node out of thin air i think is a pretty good reward for getting to the mid-late game of Thaumcraft.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
The way it is right now, sometimes you get 2 or even 3 saplings out of a tree, several times in a row, and end up with a lot of saplings, and sometimes you harvest 3 or 4 trees and get no saplings. Making the process of getting a Sapling more involved with Thaumcraft research is nice, and being able to grow a Pure Node out of thin air i think is a pretty good reward for getting to the mid-late game of Thaumcraft.
It seems that the downward spiral is a deliberate and fundamental design decision in Thaumcraft.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Vanilla monster spawners?
Hmm, should I add that?
It seems that vanilla monster spawner's only purpose is to spawn mobs. It's kinda like the bee argument: Princessess aren't renewable, but the stuff they produce is.
The only mobs that can't be gotten without a mob spawner are the blaze and the cave spider. It's kinda ironic (ha) because it's they're of the easiest mobs to be soul sharded. So do you think I should add it?

Uristqwerty

Jul 29, 2019
Blazes can rarely spawn in the space where a nether fortress would be generated, even without a spawner. A spawner is just the most consistent and easily farmable source. Silverfish, however, are finite without a spawner...

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, should I add that?
It seems that vanilla monster spawner's only purpose is to spawn mobs. It's kinda like the bee argument: Princessess aren't renewable, but the stuff they produce is.
The only mobs that can't be gotten without a mob spawner are the blaze and the cave spider. It's kinda ironic (ha) because it's they're of the easiest mobs to be soul sharded. So do you think I should add it?
For spawners, I am sure the OP has an "inventory clause", that stipulates that you need to be able to collect it in your inventory anyway.

Reactions: jumpfight5

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Well, if you want to talk semantics, the thread is "Items", which means stuff in your inventory. However, I don't want to get hung up on semantics, what's important to me is the usefulness of the question. In that light, vanilla spawners aren't really something that I'm interested in the renewability of. But there's no harm in adding them to the list, it's not like it's becoming huge and unmamageable.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
For spawners, I am sure the OP has an "inventory clause", that stipulates that you need to be able to collect it in your inventory anyway.
Huh...forgetting my own clauses. Hahaha, I even think this was talked about before.
Blazes can rarely spawn in the space where a nether fortress would be generated, even without a spawner. A spawner is just the most consistent and easily farmable source. Silverfish, however, are finite without a spawner...
I didn't know that about blazes! And Silverfish don't drop anything that you can't get elsewhere (or they just don't drop...anything). As for cave spiders, don't they drop the same thing the spider does? So you don't even need it in the first place, if no cave spider spawners existed, you wouldn't be losing anything important.

Thanks guys, so I'll say no to adding them, due to one of the clauses on the OP. But if there is a reason to add them, then please do tell :D

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
Pointless nitpick/useful exploit: you can put a pig spawner in your inventory by picking up any spawner and trying to set it down on top of a torch.

While only a madman would do it, there's no reason you couldn't build your house out of silverfish blocks even in vanilla using the spawners in stronghold portal rooms. So long as you have a soul shard and the world still contains one silverfish block...