New Thermal Expansion functionality/item: Tesseracts

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Time investment, as in your own time actively doing stuff.

If it takes you an hour or half-hour of going back-and-forth to make a teleport pipe work efficiently, then I'd say it's balanced.

Yes, Chunk Loaders do make Solar Panels OP. But that's a different sort of time.

Thaumcraft is not OP, because you have to spend sooooo much time doing all the stuff. Even though you can transmute ores and such.

And that I would agree with.

But sadly a lot of the Time Investment costed base systems can be setup and just let run creating a large amount of pay out for your 'spent time' when all you really did was build it once and walk away. No up keep No additional input and in many cases can be fully automated.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
Time investment, as in your own time actively doing stuff.
If it takes you an hour or half-hour of going back-and-forth to make a teleport pipe work efficiently, then I'd say it's balanced.
Yes, Chunk Loaders do make Solar Panels OP. But that's a different sort of time.
Thaumcraft is not OP, because you have to spend sooooo much time doing all the stuff. Even though you can transmute ores and such.
This is why I haven't done any TC stuff in my current world. I just don't have the time to put into it.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
An idea for powering the Tess's.

Instead of just pluging directly into a MJ power system, instead, create a new type of fuel that is only used by the Tess's.

For example, have a new machine that generates "Ender Fuel" (corny name), that takes some liquid ender, some shiny dust and an overworld liquid fuel source. A portable tank of this fuel source slapped ontop of the Tess will keep the Tess active for 24 hours real time, or this new liquid could be piped to the Tess's.

Different overworld fuels could have different ratio's of generating Ender Fuel, with normal Oil providing the best ratio, and the easy renewable BioGas providing the worst.

If concerned about Shiny Dust availability, a new Shiny Ore could be added to world gen that generates high up in the world (above Lv70-80), max 2-3 blocks per chunk (depending on landscape).

Ender Fuel could then also be used for any other future machines that offer "teleportation".

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I'd much prefer if the fuel notion is added, it's a hard mode setting (like needing diamonds for pulverizers).

I'm sure it's been said before in other venues, but I enjoy minecraft and I work a full time job. I'd prefer it if minecraft didn't have to become work in order to play with the new and shiny.

Other than that, I'm really looking forward to playing with these soon :)

Larroke

Jul 29, 2019
Tesseracts should have a central (and more expensive) control hub that increases their start up costs significantly, could be multiblock (more tesseracts, the bigger the control hub you need), could have a wormhole-y effect/animation, but its this block that requires fuel and/or power to maintain all the other links. This will permit the fueling to be maintained at your central location. If each block has to have fuel, doesn't it A) defeat the purpose? and B) Just require you now build an infrastructure to feed the tesseracts or C) hand maintain their fuel level.

They appear awesome, and I will likely increasingly be using them but they are cheap for what they do. I can't wait to see what KingLemming has in store next.

tunnen

Jul 29, 2019
This will make lava nether pumping even easier- no need for literally any machines now, just slap 4 redstone engines, a pipe and a tesseract down and now you have unlimited lava, completely maintanence free and (somewhat) cheap!

I think you could also dump the 4 redstone engines and replace with an energy tesseract. I haven't tested it yet, but I would think it would work since it is MJs. That gets your setup to 4 blocks: Pump, liquid tesseract, energy tesseract, chunk loader. =P

Now to invent an all-in-one tesseact pump, that combines both energy and liquid transfer with a pump with chunk loading ability.... =P

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
I think you could also dump the 4 redstone engines and replace with an energy tesseract. I haven't tested it yet, but I would think it would work since it is MJs. That gets your setup to 4 blocks: Pump, liquid tesseract, energy tesseract, chunk loader. =P
Go to the TE-Wiki, page tesseract and look at the last picture:
ExampleTesseract2.png

Reactions: EternalDensity

myrddraall

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah unfortunately distance calculation (as cool as it is) presents a logistical problem - every tesseract needs to have a table knowing the pre-calculated distance to every other tesseract, to avoid stupid amounts of computation.

Which hey, that's great - it's constant, so you never have to worry about it, never have to recalculate. And then frames happened. Frames. Ruin. Everything.

So that's out. We have other idears. (not a typo)

Just curious... frames don't seem to be able to move with a tesseract attached for me .. is this a bug or intended?

I assume its a bug otherwise frames wouldn't be a problem for you

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Love the Tesseracts. Nice end game item, as I assume Ender Pearls are needed to make Liquid End (wasn't clear on the wiki last night), and I assume around 10 pearls per tesseract. Quite expensive until you have a farm in the end, or a soul shard system. Not a quick thing.

Unfortunately thanks to the wonderful mod EE3 a single ender pearl onle costs you 4 (yes, 4) iron ingots. So no, it's not 'end game' at all. 4 pearls fill a tesseract so that's 16 iron. Cheap.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Unfortunately thanks to the wonderful mod EE3 a single ender pearl onle costs you 4 (yes, 4) iron ingots. So no, it's not 'end game' at all. 4 pearls fill a tesseract so that's 16 iron. Cheap.
That's why my only use of EE3 so far has been to get some cactus green, having no deserts near me. Likewise in EE2, I only used the Condensers to recycle all my junk from quarries.
Just can't see the sense in being able to make weird pearl objects dropped by aliens from another realm from iron....

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019

RP2 sorta beat you to the punch on this. Even without EE3, Athames made farming ender pearls very easy. EE3 is hardly the culprit here. And the idea that tesseracts are (or should be) end game seems a bit suspect to me.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Although I agree that using athame to kill an enderman is easier, it's still more time-consuming than simply changing 16 iron into 4 pearls.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Although I agree that using athame to kill an enderman is easier, it's still more time-consuming than simply changing 16 iron into 4 pearls.

True, but so is using a powered furnace. Minium stones not only break now (and man do I burn through them fast), but they involve a resource that can ONLY be obtained from lots of mob hunting. Odds are you already have lots of ender pearls if you have enough minium shards. I had 27 lying around doing nothing just from farming minium shards, heads, and brains.

However, I doubt anyone would be upset if the minium stone durability cost of that recipe changed substantially. But the fact that you CAN do it is not really a problem; it just lets you timeshift your hunting.

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019

Now to invent an all-in-one tesseact pump, that combines both energy and liquid transfer with a pump with chunk loading ability.... =P
Seems like a waste of energy though, since the pumps barely use anything more than 4 redstone engines worth of energy anyways. Unless you want to attach 6 REs to a tesseract and TP the energy over that, but that seems wasteful and pointless for such little space saved.

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
I think a good balance for the item/liquid tesseracts would be to find a way to do the same thing the energy one does (that is, eat up 25% of the transported material).

i can see that clearly being applied to liquids, i have no idea how it could be implemented for items tho (eating 25% of your items is not an option, i think.)

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
I think a good balance for the item/liquid tesseracts would be to find a way to do the same thing the energy one does (that is, eat up 25% of the transported material).

i can see that clearly being applied to liquids, i have no idea how it could be implemented for items tho (eating 25% of your items is not an option, i think.)
It could eat 25% of my cobble... but that would be a bonus :p

Reactions: Lambert2191

tunnen

Jul 29, 2019
Seems like a waste of energy though, since the pumps barely use anything more than 4 redstone engines worth of energy anyways. Unless you want to attach 6 REs to a tesseract and TP the energy over that, but that seems wasteful and pointless for such little space saved.

I was actually just joking and going that extra insane step to minimalism the setup space.

It still could save you a very small amount of time setting up 4 redstone engines and the switch/torches to run them, not to mention the engine warmup time. Plus if you already have a super engine room at your base and aren't worried about losing 1 or so MJ through use of the tesseracts, might still make this a decent setup.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
Yea, but it would also get 25% of your diamonds and other ores you care about. Even eating 25% of your liquids is awful if it is a nonrenewable resource like fuel and oil, this would just mean you would resort to traditional transposing for those, which just ruins the point of using a tesseract in the first place.

Captain Neckbeard

Jul 29, 2019
Could do a large up-front energy cost for all of them instead. Replace the center Diamond in the crafting recipe with a fully-charged Redstone Energy Cell?
Powering Tesseracts with further Tesseracts would just be silly, and the default solution to a constant power requirement.

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
I just love the tesseracts the way they are ATM. Theyve simplified many of my setups a lot and saved me a ton of lag in many many circumstances.