New Thermal Expansion functionality/item: Tesseracts

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Well, some weeks ago I suggested to use "molten enderpearls" as a way to teleport stuff, King lemming replied, and said that it will be something like that...

I guess I gave an idea and it got used :)

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
With tesseracleport pipes, I wonder if there is any practical reason to ever use any sort of tracks for anything other than "because it's cool". (Railcraft, Traincraft) Before you could at least argue the pros and cons of tank carts and energy carts over transposers, battery chargers, and enderchests.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
With tesseracleport pipes, I wonder if there is any practical reason to ever use any sort of tracks for anything other than "because it's cool". (Railcraft, Traincraft) Before you could at least argue the pros and cons of tank carts and energy carts over transposers, battery chargers, and enderchests.
Farming with Steve's Carts.

Sphinx2k

Jul 29, 2019

I lot of things i build is not to build a perfect system. It is to build something cool. And if a trains basesed storage system is slower but cooler i will build it :)

Reactions: Omicron and Yeti

Carrington

Jul 29, 2019
Depending on the energy cost implementation, over either very short or very long distances tracks will likely be a better option.

Personally I also think there should be an increased cost per tesseract for each tesseract in the same chunk/chunk radius. I might actually write an add on to implement that.

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
I have a hard time seeing a balance issue with these when we have ender chests and mystcraft portals available. The biggest problem I always had with teleport pipes was the relatively cheap recipe. They were easily mass-produced. That is not true of tesseracts.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Cost.

You'll be using tracks/pipes/tubes looong before you'll be using Tesseracts purely due to the large number of ender pearls required.

noskk

Jul 29, 2019

IMO, no, unless there's a kind rail of that can teleport cart/chained cart to a position (another rail), but even then, it is still easier to use tesseract. especially the energy one..

MrRobbie

Jul 29, 2019
There really is no balance issue if you want them keep them in if not disable in the config. I think they are great for off world quarries and an off world mining outpost. That is the genius about minecraft ... change the game to your likes. It isn't just the ender cost your also talking about chunk loaders and an infrastructure that is going to use the energy like on a server... a place at spawn that needs power. I am going to use it in a Twilight Forest set up I have or the nether without worrying about the engines over-heating. A lot of uses for those that want to use them ;)

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
That's a good point, unless they act as chunk loaders, you'll also need to get a load of chunk loaders all over the place which also won't be cheap - excellent!

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see the point in disabling these and yet keeping ender storage enabled, as it allows for the ability to move items, liquid (using buckets/cell and a liquid transposer), and energy (the easiest way I've found is lithium batteries, which can then be used with electrical engines for MJ, or the like).

They appear to be a cleaner way to do as much, though, which means less ender chests stuffed up with batteries flying around the place, and the like, which is a really good thing indeed.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Indeed. I think of Pipes/Tubes as Tier 1 movement, Ender Chests as Tier 2 movement, and Tesseracts as Tier 3.

Malkuth

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah they are pretty cool. :)

Not really that expensive though.. If you play gregtech then they are like a bargin deal.

noah_wolfe

Jul 29, 2019

There is something to be said about "because it's cool" .. because ultimately, the most efficient designs often end up being somewhat boring. What Etho has been trying to do with Railcraft lately is a perfect example of why tracks are fun.

killerkerara

Jul 29, 2019
Cost.

You'll be using tracks/pipes/tubes looong before you'll be using Tesseracts purely due to the large number of ender pearls required.
Not entirely true. A single tesseract only requires 4 ender pearls. If you are using the Direwolf20 pack, ee3 can be used to turn 4 iron ingots into 1 ender pearl, trivializing that aspect of it. Even without that, getting 8 ender pearls to get your first liquid tesseracts set up to transport lava from the nether is pretty easy and effectively gives you infinite MJ and EU in the form of magmatic engines and geothermal generators. A tesseract adjacent to a buildcraft pump can accept the full 20 bucket per second output of a pump running at 10MJ/t. Getting the infrastructure for some simple tesseract setups can be done long before pipes/tubes/rails are used to automate everything.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know when enderpearls became rare... with a two blocks tall shelter in the end and a bunch of silver to craft Athames I can get pretty much a limitless amount in half an hour. No investment, set up, or machinery required. (If you consider killing the dragon a challenge, that's pretty easy even in vanilla, not to mention with basic power tools or steel armor. Or you can just build a platform a few hundred blocks away out of its range.)

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
killerkerara, that is arguable a similar cost to setting up liquid transposers and ender chests.