New Thermal Expansion functionality/item: Tesseracts

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
I hooked it up to my test set of 72 industrial steam engines so yea, enough to power 8 of them easily after factoring in losses.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
You should take both of the item tesseracts out to the quarry so you can more easily test your setup.
Also make sure you don't have a redstone signal shutting one of them off.

I always put my item tesseract on top of my quarry, but I have no idea if that matters.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I always put my item tesseract on top of my quarry, but I have no idea if that matters.

Tesseracts should work just like any other teleportation pipe system, in that the physical location should not matter. And the side you place something on the quarry block should not matter, either (I used to put my ender chest on top of my quarry, but I moved it to the bottom as I needed to streamline the design to not catch on the quarry frames when I moved it with my frames because it is a framed quarry (a quarry on a frame, not a frame quarry). Now, to say that five times fast!

Saice

Jul 29, 2019

Ok ... I sort of give you that.

But to be honest it is not its Easy of use that makes it bad. Its the broken exchange machines that makes it bad.

EE could still be easy to use while having a more reasonable exchange model.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Don't worry in the end for large project we all have to turn to something semi cheesy or take years. I don't like pumping the neither dry to turn lava into gold. But I gotta do it if I want to get my morthership done sometime this year.

I think it is the order in what makes you come to that answer. If you try other methods and fail and end up with the cheese being the only reasonable way out in the end. At lest you tried other methods first.

You know instead of just covering the world in solar cells and making everything from UU mater for instance.

Even that is impressive. This notion of "balanced" and "OP" is so confusing to me. People flip out at EE3 wood-to-obsidian, for example. But somehow the igneous extruder which can do the same thing is wrong. Install EE2 if you want. Go for it. But if you don't have some epic builds and beautiful structures as a result than what's happening is the mod is overpowering you. Bummer.

I'm not sure how long farming ender pearls is "supposed" to take. I know I spend a LOT of time mining, quarrying, and assisted mining now to keep up with my insane desire for iron. Is that somehow not enough to satisfy the balance squad?[DOUBLEPOST=1362087179][/DOUBLEPOST]
Tesseracts should work just like any other teleportation pipe system, in that the physical location should not matter. And the side you place something on the quarry block should not matter, either (I used to put my ender chest on top of my quarry, but I moved it to the bottom as I needed to streamline the design to not catch on the quarry frames when I moved it with my frames because it is a framed quarry (a quarry on a frame, not a frame quarry). Now, to say that five times fast!

The only transportation method I know of where positioning matters is the magic mirror. Which, by the way, is a hilarious way to handle quarry output.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
The only transportation method I know of where positioning matters is the magic mirror. Which, by the way, is a hilarious way to handle quarry output.

Oh my gods, YES! I'll generate power with my potato-methane system, and then use magic mirrors to deal with moving things around instead of pipes. Whenever I get around to doing a new playthrough, it is going to be so awesome!

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
It's a shame that the EMC values and energy collector rates were not in a config file. Just some simple tweaks to these values would have killed most of the collection systems and allow the mod to be used as intended on servers.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
It's a shame that the EMC values and energy collector rates were not in a config file. Just some simple tweaks to these values would have killed most of the collection systems and allow the mod to be used as intended on servers.

The social stigma of EE2 grew far beyond any real flaws in the mod or design. It became popular to hate. As gregtech has shown, no number of config options can combat that.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Even that is impressive. This notion of "balanced" and "OP" is so confusing to me. People flip out at EE3 wood-to-obsidian, for example. But somehow the igneous extruder which can do the same thing is wrong. Install EE2 if you want. Go for it. But if you don't have some epic builds and beautiful structures as a result than what's happening is the mod is overpowering you. Bummer.

I'm not sure how long farming ender pearls is "supposed" to take. I know I spend a LOT of time mining, quarrying, and assisted mining now to keep up with my insane desire for iron. Is that somehow not enough to satisfy the balance squad?
Balance is in the eye of the beholder. Some people don't worry about balance, they just want to go play for an hour and build cool stuff. Some people like to mess around in creative mode and nuke NPC villages. Some people are looking for a long-term set of challenges, progressing up a tech tree, designing and building massive automated systems to make everything from wood to diamonds to a cup of Earl Grey on demand. To everybody "balanced" has a different meaning. To me, "balanced" is whenever I feel like the time, resources, design, planning, dangers, etc. that I had to go through to achieve a goal, are proportional to the goal itself. I wouldn't call needing iridium to build a door balanced, because the effort needed is so out of proportion with the gains. Similarly, to me, the effort of placing two blocks is far out of proportion with the goal of transporting items over thousands of blocks. But as I said, this is very subjective, and I understand that for a majority of people it is not a concern at all - and there is nothing wrong with that.

Balance can also be about choices. I like having several options to consider, I like adapting a design to space, time, resource, or other constraints. I like varying builds, just for the sake of doing something else. And when a mod comes out with a method of doing things that is clearly cheaper, faster, easier to set up and control, more compact, and more efficient, any illusion of choice is ruined - unless you artificially limit yourself to not use that feature.

Choices also lead to diversity. Diversity is great. Being able to visit other people's bases and watch all the different ideas and designs come together, learning from others' creations and individual touch, and being able to offer advice from my experience is one of the things I love most about minecraft. Seeing the exact same setup of solars into electrical engines into a tesseract into a quarry into an enderchest into tubes into barrels is just plain boring. Seeing massive parts of many mods completely ignored because somebody else offers a clearly superior solution makes me sad for the mod authors - when the only real solution is to keep one-upping each other.

Also a hilarious method to nuke every aura node in a day's walk distance. :D