New RF Mod (In Progress Looking for Suggestions)

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
It's hardly the first time we've seen, "I'm going to make TE except bigger/better/faster." Personally I'd like to see mods not reinvent the wheel and add shinier rims, but cest la vie on that one. RF should form the basis of something great, I'm hoping people start to use it that way. The problem with TE itself is that the codebase is way too complicated. Z and skyboy are sorting it out for better maintainability. Future releases should be a lot faster, even if the scope of TE itself will be somewhat diminished.

EDIT: Not to nay-say the concept, I just feel that the community as a whole is better served if things add on rather than duplicate the effort and then add new stuff. If you want to <insert IC2/BC snark here> then please do, but RF forms an open basis and functions in a way that frankly neither of those systems do. And the only IC2/TE overlap is the furnace and pulverizer. ;)

Which to the average punter is 90% of both mods functionality (even though it's not), TE in it's beginning was a macerator that ran on MJ that gave a bit extra (at least to me). I started to used TE exclusively in the GregTech days where they gated the macerator with diamonds. I learned that TE had a an MJ storage to make BC power bearable and cheaper "macerator" now i just use TE becasue it's what I'm used to, I could be useing other probably better mods.
"I'm going to make TE except bigger/better/faster." I was going to say "isn't that what you did..." but you mentioned IC2/BC snark, that is if that's what you meant by that.
Are you just trying to say "Don't do what I did kid"?
TE2 is something bigger then it was but lets be frank TE at it's inception was an IC2 alternative becasue when you started ore doubling was a good portion of mod features. You can't give that advice without being aware of or doing a hypocrisy check. Because a lot of people saw/ see TE as a bigger better macerator then it graduated to the innovative tesseracts (which might just be a better teleport pipe now that I think of it).
Original ideas are are these days are rareer then gold, in modded Minecraft and the real world alike. We are in an age of refinement "reinvent the wheel and add shinier rims" might just very well be what the doctor ordered.

Reactions: immibis

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
So I am looking for some input on what the tier 1 generators should look like. They will all have the same design.

So what should I do. Just use a block for the generator or make a custom techne model (if so what).

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
That is a basic steam engine. Steam doesn't come into play until tier 2. Also are all of the tier 1 machines going to look like that, I'd say definitley not. And are you trying to give me something hard. :p
But thanks for the input anyway

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Which to the average punter is 90% of both mods functionality (even though it's not), TE in it's beginning was a macerator that ran on MJ that gave a bit extra (at least to me). I started to used TE exclusively in the GregTech days where they gated the macerator with diamonds. I learned that TE had a an MJ storage to make BC power bearable and cheaper "macerator" now i just use TE becasue it's what I'm used to, I could be useing other probably better mods.
"I'm going to make TE except bigger/better/faster." I was going to say "isn't that what you did..." but you mentioned IC2/BC snark, that is if that's what you meant by that.
Are you just trying to say "Don't do what I did kid"?
TE2 is something bigger then it was but lets be frank TE at it's inception was an IC2 alternative becasue when you started ore doubling was a good portion of mod features. You can't give that advice without being aware of or doing a hypocrisy check. Because a lot of people saw/ see TE as a bigger better macerator then it graduated to the innovative tesseracts (which might just be a better teleport pipe now that I think of it).
Original ideas are are these days are rareer then gold, in modded Minecraft and the real world alike. We are in an age of refinement "reinvent the wheel and add shinier rims" might just very well be what the doctor ordered.

Funny story - TE originally didn't have ore doubling from the Pulverizer, it needed the Smelter for that and was a different mechanic. Which, btw, if you're keeping track, of the original 8 TE machines, the furnace and pulverizer were literally the only overlap with IC2. Reconfigurable sides? Minds blown. Emphasis on server efficiency? Sorry, I was unquestionably the first to emphasize that, and it's changed the face of modding. Yes, that comes across as arrogant, but it's not false, and that one is a matter of pride. It's not just about features, it's about implementing them in a way that doesn't cripple the tick rate. So, did I reinvent the wheel? Yes, I did. Here's the difference: it wasn't round back then.

So, TE at its inception was really not just IC2 at all. You're just putting yourself in that 90% you speak of. And that's fair. However, I've always maintained that if all you want is to double ores, both TE and IC2 are about the worst way to go about it. You're missing the vast majority of the content in both of the mods if that's all you focus on.

INCSlayer

Nov 17, 2012
Funny story - TE originally didn't have ore doubling from the Pulverizer, it needed the Smelter for that and was a different mechanic. Which, btw, if you're keeping track, of the original 8 TE machines, the furnace and pulverizer were literally the only overlap with IC2. Reconfigurable sides? Minds blown. Emphasis on server efficiency? Sorry, I was unquestionably the first to emphasize that, and it's changed the face of modding. Yes, that comes across as arrogant, but it's not false, and that one is a matter of pride. It's not just about features, it's about implementing them in a way that doesn't cripple the tick rate. So, did I reinvent the wheel? Yes, I did. Here's the difference: it wasn't round back then.

So, TE at its inception was really not just IC2 at all. You're just putting yourself in that 90% you speak of. And that's fair. However, I've always maintained that if all you want is to double ores, both TE and IC2 are about the worst way to go about it. You're missing the vast majority of the content in both of the mods if that's all you focus on.

am i remebering correctly that you needed to pulverize the ore then put the dust in the induction smelter to get 2 ingots out?

TheCupcakeisaLie

Jul 29, 2019
am i remebering correctly that you needed to pulverize the ore then put the dust in the induction smelter to get 2 ingots out?

no, you can use the induction smelter to get 3 ingots. Pulverized strait up gives you 2 dust.
Op, how about make machines require tiered reception coil, so applying 10k RF to a stock machine will break its reception coil and you have to craft a reception coil capable of 10k RF, otherwise the machine cannot get power. make RF slightly harder to use, not just everything can accept 100000000000 rf\t and has a energy buffer and gives free stuff in addition to that, and for the chance of 3x multiplication you have to add some sort of upgrade\thing idk. Frankly, compared to other mods that do the same thing te is pretty overpowered with ore proccesing.

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
no, you can use the induction smelter to get 3 ingots. Pulverized strait up gives you 2 dust.
Op, how about make machines require tiered reception coil, so applying 10k RF to a stock machine will break its reception coil and you have to craft a reception coil capable of 10k RF, otherwise the machine cannot get power. make RF slightly harder to use, not just everything can accept 100000000000 rf\t and has a energy buffer and gives free stuff in addition to that, and for the chance of 3x multiplication you have to add some sort of upgrade\thing idk. Frankly, compared to other mods that do the same thing te is pretty overpowered with ore proccesing.

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk
I was thinking out having a machine accept a max amount of power because every time you make a machine I don't want you to make a reception coil. Of course there will be upgrades

TheCupcakeisaLie

Jul 29, 2019
I was thinking out having a machine accept a max amount of power because every time you make a machine I don't want you to make a reception coil. Of course there will be upgrades
What I was thinking was is that, since almost all the machines already require a reception coil, just make it not part of the crafting recipie and maybe have a slot in the machines, and the currently crafteble ones can take 400 rf/t and there can be all kinds of upgrades to these reception coils, for effiency, speed, etc. There could be a cool multiblock machine to upgrade this coils or tinker with them. (automatible of course)

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
As I remember it, some moders at the times said configurable gui could not be done, for this or that reason & some are big names in the scene, Mr lemming seemed to take it as a personal challenge & not just did it, but proved that most of the reasons given were invalid & now the the very same people that said "no way can't be done" are using the same type of gui in some of there mods, long live Isided.

Its a valid point to not copy but to improve or advance a core mod as an addon, I still like the idea & hope it works out, & lets face it you can't please all the people all the time, so OP (author) take what you can use from this topic, be it praise or critique & disregard the rest.

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
As I remember it, some moders at the times said configurable gui could not be done, for this or that reason & some are big names in the scene, Mr lemming seemed to take it as a personal challenge & not just did it, but proved that most of the reasons given were invalid & now the the very same people that said "no way can't be done" are using the same type of gui in some of there mods, long live Isided.

Its a valid point to not copy but to improve or advance a core mod as an addon, I still like the idea & hope it works out, & lets face it you can't please all the people all the time, so OP (author) take what you can use from this topic, be it praise or critique & disregard the rest.
Sorry, I think you are mistaken. No other downloads are going to be required to use my mod but the main download. If I want to implement the RF power system I will have to use some the COFH Lib API, which I will use. I am not making this an addon for anything. This mod is a stand-alone mod. That does not mean there will be no compatibility. I want compatibility with all RF/MJ mods in my mods though.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry, I think you are mistaken. No other downloads are going to be required to use my mod but the main download. If I want to implement the RF power system I will have to use some the COFH Lib API, which I will use. I am not making this an addon for anything. This mod is a stand-alone mod. That does not mean there will be no compatibility. I want compatibility with all RF/MJ mods in my mods though.
If you just copy the required class files (from CoFH Lib) to your mod then your mod won't require CoFH Lib. As I said before, check the license and check whether CoFH have a problem with this.

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
If you just copy the required class files (from CoFH Lib) to your mod then your mod won't require CoFH Lib. As I said before, check the license and check whether CoFH have a problem with this.
yes that's what I said. And the licensing allows me to do this I just can only use things in the API.

88VoidMiner88

Jul 29, 2019
Add an expensive multiblock that will allow you to teleport to other of other teleporters, you can choose the destination, call it a Void Teletransporter or a Space Tear Manipulator or something like that. maybe make the item, fluid, and power dimensional transfer a multiblock as well?

Last edited:

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I'd like to see something along the lines of a single multi-block doubling/smelting setup. Instead of having to go through two separate machine wait times, IE Pulverizer>Furnace, I'd like to have a setup that perhaps contains a pulverizer and furnace in a multi-block so that you stick in one ore and in 3/4 of the time for the two machines you get the ingots. And yes, I know there's an induction smelter, but I'd rather have the alternate output of the pulverizer than the chance for more slag.

Reactions: DrowElf

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
I'd like to see something along the lines of a single multi-block doubling/smelting setup. Instead of having to go through two separate machine wait times, IE Pulverizer>Furnace, I'd like to have a setup that perhaps contains a pulverizer and furnace in a multi-block so that you stick in one ore and in 3/4 of the time for the two machines you get the ingots. And yes, I know there's an induction smelter, but I'd rather have the alternate output of the pulverizer than the chance for more slag.
Why not combine it with a quarry, while you're at it?

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
Why not combine it with a quarry, while you're at it?
No wait, a machine that magically produces material out of thin air and then grinds them, then smelts them, then crafts machines out of them to repeat the process; eventually it turns completely sentient and kicks you out of the game because it realizes that you are the least productive thing in it.