New RF Mod (In Progress Looking for Suggestions)

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
What sort of mechanics are you going to add? Advance extra ore processing, large scale processing, mix and match multiblock machine that does several things at once or one after another?

I would like a multi-dynamo- the current ones make me wonder why i should use any power source other than charcoal+charcoal if all i'm ever getting is 80/rf per tick per dynamo.

One last thing, have you considered RF-based armor? Maybe reactive armor that nullifies some excess damage for energy and/or liquid rather than straight durability bar (maybe make it cost in quadratic to the excess damage, i.e. *1 for half a heart of damage, *4 for a full one, *9 for a heart and a half). you could even tier it- "basic" gunpowder/coal dust, has leather like protection, capped at 1 excess heart, flux based on liquid redstone/glowstone, has iron protection, capped at 2 excess hearts, and resonant based on liquid ender/pyrotheum, has diamond protection, capped at 3 hearts.

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
What sort of mechanics are you going to add? Advance extra ore processing, large scale processing, mix and match multiblock machine that does several things at once or one after another?

I would like a multi-dynamo- the current ones make me wonder why i should use any power source other than charcoal+charcoal if all i'm ever getting is 80/rf per tick per dynamo.

One last thing, have you considered RF-based armor? Maybe reactive armor that nullifies some excess damage for energy and/or liquid rather than straight durability bar (maybe make it cost in quadratic to the excess damage, i.e. *1 for half a heart of damage, *4 for a full one, *9 for a heart and a half). you could even tier it- "basic" gunpowder/coal dust, has leather like protection, capped at 1 excess heart, flux based on liquid redstone/glowstone, has iron protection, capped at 2 excess hearts, and resonant based on liquid ender/pyrotheum, has diamond protection, capped at 3 hearts.
Basically what my mod will do is be like Thermal Expansion but more complex. My mod will not require thermal expansion but it will run off of RF. I am going to do things in many different ways like one single machine like the pulverizer doubling your ores and 2 together tripling them.

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
Are you going to make separate machines for single/multiblock, Chest-like multiblock, or some sort of assembly wrench that turn the individual machines into one giant?

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
Are you going to make separate machines for single/multiblock, Chest-like multiblock, or some sort of assembly wrench that turn the individual machines into one giant?
So what I plan on doing is making multi-block blocks like the coke oven to less complicate things or I may end up doing something like Greg did with his multiblock machines or even possibly both.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Don't assume everyone is using a big modpack. Agrarian Skies has relatively few mods, for example. Almost all of the uses for TE metals are from TE.
Quoting myself because I think this might need more explanation. A good "base" mod should stand on its own, regardless of which other mods you have. If a mod is significantly worse without having IC2, Factorization, Metallurgy, GregTech... installed then it's more like an addon for those mods (which is not to say it is an addon).

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
Quoting myself because I think this might need more explanation. A good "base" mod should stand on its own, regardless of which other mods you have. If a mod is significantly worse without having IC2, Factorization, Metallurgy, GregTech... installed then it's more like an addon for those mods (which is not to say it is an addon).
IMHO the 'random' metals from TE have the same amount of use for TE that something like gold has for vanilla MC, if not more. They can also be used in various RF addons for a feeling of unity.
You can't say that the mod is "worse" without others, it's use is made "better" by the presence of other mods. CoFH core still provides the best oregen mechanism that I have ever used. It is the perfect mix of power, simplicity and ease.

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
Yes this is what I am going to be doing. All my mod will need is COFH Core (which has the RF Code)

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Yes this is what I am going to be doing. All my mod will need is COFH Core (which has the RF Code)
It's actually possible to just copy the small amount of RF code into your mod. I don't know if this is what you're supposed to do. It would only cause a technical problem if they change that code and your mod still has the old version.

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
It's actually possible to just copy the small amount of RF code into your mod. I don't know if this is what you're supposed to do. It would only cause a technical problem if they change that code and your mod still has the old version.
Yeah you are allowed to export the COFH Core API

UniZero

Popular Member
Oct 3, 2012
Scotland, UK
I really like to see mods started adding models for their tools, instead of a texture.
but that'd require some extra work to create the models and properly texture them

I always dislike how slow the energetic infuser is. if possible I would like another tier for the energetic infuser which can charge multiple tools at once, at a faster rate and can internally store more power.

and I'm guessing with a new tier of machines you probably mean something similar to the advanced machines mods for IC2?
if so, are you planning on giving the user the option to add upgrades to an existing machine, or will you create a new upgraded machine?
if you're planning on adding a new machine, please don't make it so you need to apply a redstone signal for the machines to keep running... I always hated that with IC2

and something I hoped that TE would've added, but hasn't (yet) is the option to use a flux tool in an activator, and if you were to add an activated battery along with the flux tool, the flux tool would automatically recharge itself in the activator

This is why I still like to use the IC2 storage for charging mps power armour and such because the infuser does not hold much charge especially when using the elite battery in your suit.

I was also not a fan of having to keep a redstone signal to keep the advanced machines charged up.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah you are allowed to export the COFH Core API

Whoa now. There's a difference between CoFHCore and CoFHLib. The RF API is in CoFHLib. Also, keep in mind that the 1.7 versions are both non-finalized.

The mods that have already added RF support for 1.7 are going to have some minor changes to do.

Albin_Xavier

Jul 29, 2019
This is why I still like to use the IC2 storage for charging mps power armour and such because the infuser does not hold much charge especially when using the elite battery in your suit.

I was also not a fan of having to keep a redstone signal to keep the advanced machines charged up.
I just carry a Resonant Flux Capacitor, then I can have everything else at maximum except physical armor and batteries.

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
Whoa now. There's a difference between CoFHCore and CoFHLib. The RF API is in CoFHLib. Also, keep in mind that the 1.7 versions are both non-finalized.

The mods that have already added RF support for 1.7 are going to have some minor changes to do.
Woops meant Lib sorry. :p

Last edited:

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Basically what my mod will do is be like Thermal Expansion but more complex. My mod will not require thermal expansion but it will run off of RF. I am going to do things in many different ways like one single machine like the pulverizer doubling your ores and 2 together tripling them.

I'm not sure I want to play a mod if it just does the same thing as TE, just more expensive.

Reactions: Padfoote

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure I want to play a mod if it just does the same thing as TE, just more expensive.
No, the whole point of the mod is to do unique things and have unique power generation. Of course the basics will be covered like doubling your ores and auto-smelting.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
And what are these unique things and forms of power gen?

It's hardly the first time we've seen, "I'm going to make TE except bigger/better/faster." Personally I'd like to see mods not reinvent the wheel and add shinier rims, but cest la vie on that one. RF should form the basis of something great, I'm hoping people start to use it that way. The problem with TE itself is that the codebase is way too complicated. Z and skyboy are sorting it out for better maintainability. Future releases should be a lot faster, even if the scope of TE itself will be somewhat diminished.

EDIT: Not to nay-say the concept, I just feel that the community as a whole is better served if things add on rather than duplicate the effort and then add new stuff. If you want to <insert IC2/BC snark here> then please do, but RF forms an open basis and functions in a way that frankly neither of those systems do. And the only IC2/TE overlap is the furnace and pulverizer. ;)

Reactions: Mevansuto

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
What I'd personally like to see is more mods where you actually build your machines, not craft them. For example start witha multiblock frame and then add parts to it in the world. In fact basically an extended more complex version of what factorization does with the socket + addons or the big reactor turbines.

Reactions: Padfoote

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
And what are these unique things and forms of power gen?
Well I will give you my unfinished progression tierage:

Powergen -
So as TE has dynamos my basic power-gen will have it's own unique base which will simply be named generators. These will work as a 1 fuel machine. There will be liquid and solid version of the generators (And possibly gaseous). The highest point of generator RF output should be at 120RF/t = 12MJ/t. Next will be Turbines and Boilers. The turbines will work in various ways. There will be 1 fuel turbines 2 fuel and 3 fuel with possibly a 4 fuel tier. The tiers will require water and their fuel (liquid or solid). Turbines will be have about five types. The types will range from low durability and high processing amount to infinite durability and low processing amount. Next up is fission reactors. These will have many different designs and be very complex. Next is Fusion which is extremely expensive and should have about 3 designs. The fission and fusion reactors should generate steam from water like in real life. Also included will be alternative which will be unique power sources and natural (solar, wind etc.)

Power Transport-
These will function like TE's conduits as I want to be similar in that way except for how high and low they go for power generation. I will add a lower tier conduit transporting 16RF/t and a lot of higher ones 2046RF/t and higher. For power transport through dimensions I will have to think about this more as I do not have a concept yet.

Power Storage-
I think I will be doing basic power storage once again and then more complex. The more complex power storage should be multi-block power storage that is customization to the level of what you build the casing out of sockets, internal storage liquid/metal etc... I also want to do an inter-dimensional energy cell acting like your assigned enederchest in vanilla.

Tools-
I will add four tiers of tools the first being normal tools just powered by RF. The second being. Stronger tools that are powered by RF nothing special and the third being stronger tools that have a wider are effect amount (togglable of course) and the third really big effect are (still togglable). I also plan on doing some wild card tools not taking to a tier. These tools would be like sheers, fishing rods, bows.

Armor-
I am going to make some complex armor probably three tiers of RF powered and some random non-RF utility armor the three tiers of RF utility power will include some basic iron level armor, then some diamond level protection armor that has lots of cool features (mid-game) then some ultimate endgame crazy expensive and RF consumptive armor. I also am making my own jetpack which will be an upgrade to tier 3 endgame armor with some cool features *glider *cough *cough, but I will leave simply jetpacks to be the main RF jetpack mod.

Machines I will go over later because it will take me an extremely long time to write.

Last edited: