My Resonant Rise Let's Play (Resonant Rise Modpack)

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
I understand your dislike if compression blocks, but you do realise that by turning compression blocks on for valuable things, like platinum, prevents people from using the ars magica thingie to make tons of platinum blocks, and getting iridium that way.
We can still make 'em from nuggets.

The easier option would be to simply turn the more valuable metals off completely, which would be kinda counter productive as Dave only turned 'em on recently, or, give 'em a price of over 15k. Which sounds fair as some of 'em are vastly more valuable than diamonds.

MinerDude333

Jul 29, 2019
I've been testing Resonant Rise considerably, and I tried to run a server. My brother and I have gotten a bit bored with 1.4.7 Ultimate Pack, so we decided to try this out. The singleplayer is amazing, I think the choice of mods is great, but in multiplayer comes a large problem: The lag. It is incredible. I can run an Ultimate server at 20tps with 2 people on, but when I get my brother on, it drops to 5. I have a hard time believing that my computer "just can't handle it", because I've seen my computer run a server with MANY more people than this with no problem. Am I setting up the server wrong? All the mods work as far as I can tell.

khofmann

Jul 29, 2019

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
I've been testing Resonant Rise considerably, and I tried to run a server. My brother and I have gotten a bit bored with 1.4.7 Ultimate Pack, so we decided to try this out. The singleplayer is amazing, I think the choice of mods is great, but in multiplayer comes a large problem: The lag. It is incredible. I can run an Ultimate server at 20tps with 2 people on, but when I get my brother on, it drops to 5. I have a hard time believing that my computer "just can't handle it", because I've seen my computer run a server with MANY more people than this with no problem. Am I setting up the server wrong? All the mods work as far as I can tell.
Nope. We have the same problem :).

Chunk generation is the biggest cpu guzzler, but there's a number of mods that could... use a little optimization.

Then there's one known memleak and one we haven't pinned yet... Errr, yeah, it can get hairy.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
One more question: Dimensional Dungeons are turned off completely? It's kinda sad since the exploration on those things is pretty funny and interesting... And Steven adds some more dungeons and traps...

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
One more question: Dimensional Dungeons are turned off completely? It's kinda sad since the exploration on those things is pretty funny and interesting... And Steven adds some more dungeons and traps...
What? No... No.

Dave uses 'em constantly. I've got some as well. Rifts are everywhere.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe they spawned before? In my SSP I moved about 1000 blocks away from my spawn and didn't find any dungeons :(

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe they spawned before? In my SSP I moved about 1000 blocks away from my spawn and didn't find any dungeons :(

The rift spawning IS turned off. Turn it back on for SSP. I had to turn it off as an emergency measure. Thought I removed that change from the configpack.

I'll make sure it doesn't persist in 0.8.0. But basically rift spreading and rift interactions really hurt a well-populated server by their very nature.[DOUBLEPOST=1369150671][/DOUBLEPOST]Next episode is up for real. Episode 11, the pinkest lamps and hydrogen power.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
I don't care about spreading, i just want the dungeons :3
Also, I watched the video already. It's nice!

Umm, and I found this in the config:
Code:
    B:"toggles whether rifts eat blocks around them or not"=true

I think THAT's the thing you want to disable.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I don't care about spreading, i just want the dungeons :3
Also, I watched the video already. It's nice!

Umm, and I found this in the config:
Code:
    B:"toggles whether rifts eat blocks around them or not"=true

I think THAT's the thing you want to disable.

Actually the eating isn't so much of a problem, weirdly! It's the _spreading_. I love the eating behavior. There is a terrifying and slowly growing black hole near my home I hope to let get truly out of control then deal with on camera. The server is okay with that.

Anyways I'll make sure the spawning is fixed in the next config drop. C'mon mystcraft.

Or maybe I should push WITHOUT MYSTCRAFT DUN DUN DUN EVERYONE FEAR.

dgdas9

Jul 29, 2019
KirinDave, you allways say that the steel dust recipe is so(ooooo) enificient bt I always think it is OP.
Assuming that charcoal=coal then you use the same amount of "fuel" in the recipe as in the blast furnace, but YOU DON'T have to build a blast furnace so...I think you see my point

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
KirinDave, you allways say that the steel dust recipe is so(ooooo) enificient bt I always think it is OP.

Well it really depends how you balance it. I think the RC blast furnace is underpowered. It's a huge investment for a rather silly payout. It's inefficient compared to Greg's method, which with the right tools can be insanely efficient. Similarly, UE has a way to make it pretty dang efficient.

Really, Greg has a larger problem. He keeps making all these elaborate assumptions about what is and isn't fair game in Minecraft and these assumptions keep getting violated. His fanbase then acts oh-so-scandalized, but often times they were wrong to begin with. For example, he and mDiyo are having a kerfuffle w.r.t. Fortune and auto-smelt on objects, but what people don't get is that fortunate has worked weirdly on multi-drop objects for a long time and mDiyo's interpretation is pretty consistent.

He should focus on making awesome machines and worry less about synthetic notions of progression like Flint & Steel.

At the end of the day, probably the biggest problem with that recipe is that Ars can fabricate it. I'm trying to make it so that Ars can't fabricate alloys of any time, only the base CoFH metals minus shiny.

Also, all UE powergen needs steel. But UE powergen currently plays poorly with IC2 storage. So.

Reactions: PonyKuu and dgdas9

dgdas9

Jul 29, 2019
Well it really depends how you balance it. I think the RC blast furnace is underpowered. It's a huge investment for a rather silly payout. It's inefficient compared to Greg's method, which with the right tools can be insanely efficient. Similarly, UE has a way to make it pretty dang efficient.

Really, Greg has a larger problem. He keeps making all these elaborate assumptions about what is and isn't fair game in Minecraft and these assumptions keep getting violated. His fanbase then acts oh-so-scandalized, but often times they were wrong to begin with. For example, he and mDiyo are having a kerfuffle w.r.t. Fortune and auto-smelt on objects, but what people don't get is that fortunate has worked weirdly on multi-drop objects for a long time and mDiyo's interpretation is pretty consistent.

He should focus on making awesome machines and worry less about synthetic notions of progression like Flint & Steel.

At the end of the day, probably the biggest problem with that recipe is that Ars can fabricate it. I'm trying to make it so that Ars can't fabricate alloys of any time, only the base CoFH metals minus shiny.

Also, all UE powergen needs steel. But UE powergen currently plays poorly with IC2 storage. So.
I totaly agree with your reply but I have to say that when I'm calling something OP it is based on vanilla minecraft, real life, gregtech and mods that already do the job and are not OP compared to the other things.

PS: I already had "troubles" in a thread when calling something OP so I just wanted to clear that out

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I totaly agree with your reply but I have to say that when I'm calling something OP it is based on vanilla minecraft, real life, gregtech and mods that already do the job and are not OP compared to the other things.

Well if it were just Greg and UE I think I'd use the Greg method. I will be using the greg method soon in my series.

Railcraft is not a mod I enjoy and it's only around because of boilers and tanks. And Xycraft does tanks AND boilers better in the beta, so I hope to get rid of Railcraft entirely in the future. I have extreme differences of opinion with Railcraft. The entire mod is working in a balance universe that doesn't exist.

But I'm open to suggestions! Should I turn off cooking of steel dust w/out a blast furnace? I can do this, but then everyone will need IC2 batteries first. If they do that they'll have them on hand when they make Mekanism powergen. If they have them on hand then they get 50eu/t power output from a solar. We're working with Aidan to fix that problem, but even then I'm not sure how the progression should look.