Monster, Horizons, and Magic World 2 Updates (1/28/14)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shdwfrog

Jul 29, 2019
This may be a repeat question, but why even have mods added to the pack, but disable them by default? If you connect to a server and the mod is disabled server side, it makes having enabled and disabled mods pointless unless you are just playing single player. I'm saying this because many younger players don't know how to disable and enable mods, even as easy as it is. When trying to connect to a server where certain default disabled mods are enabled, you cannot connect unless you enable it manually. Is there a way to have it automatically enable mods that the server is running if it the mod file is in the file but disabled, so that younger players that don't know how to work the mod settings in FTB can still connect to a server?

Kahless61

Jul 29, 2019
This may be a repeat question, but why even have mods added to the pack, but disable them by default? If you connect to a server and the mod is disabled server side, it makes having enabled and disabled mods pointless unless you are just playing single player. I'm saying this because many younger players don't know how to disable and enable mods, even as easy as it is. When trying to connect to a server where certain default disabled mods are enabled, you cannot connect unless you enable it manually. Is there a way to have it automatically enable mods that the server is running if it the mod file is in the file but disabled, so that younger players that don't know how to work the mod settings in FTB can still connect to a server?
This is a large focus of the new launcher. They are well aware of the issue. The new launcher will have it so the server defines what mods it has enabled and the client will automatically download them.

The reason mods are disabled by default is usually because they are controversial. Some people feel some of them are OP, while others enjoy that. Some people prefer not having their biomes modified, while others enjoy having a whole slew of new biomes (BoP) - and likewise with mobs (Lycanites, SpecialMobs).

Reactions: AlanEsh and Eyamaz

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
This is a large focus of the new launcher. They are well aware of the issue. The new launcher will have it so the server defines what mods it has enabled and the client will automatically download them.

The reason mods are disabled by default is usually because they are controversial. Some people feel some of them are OP, while others enjoy that. Some people prefer not having their biomes modified, while others enjoy having a whole slew of new biomes (BoP) - and likewise with mobs (Lycanites, SpecialMobs).

Another example is that multiple map mods are included but disabled by default, allowing people to activate their favorite or even none at all.

shdwfrog

Jul 29, 2019
The reason mods are disabled by default is usually because they are controversial. Some people feel some of them are OP, while others enjoy that. Some people prefer not having their biomes modified, while others enjoy having a whole slew of new biomes (BoP) - and likewise with mobs (Lycanites, SpecialMobs).[/quote]

I understand that some people think some mods are OP, but I think you missed the point of my question. In regards to servers, even if you have the mod enabled on your client, if it is not on the server, then you won't be able to use it, but you will still be able to connect to the server. On the other side, if the mod is enabled on the server, but not on the client, then you won't even be able to connect to the server. I am not talking for myself, as I know how to enable mods and such, but some younger kids don't really understand the process of enabling a mod that is disabled by default when the server rejects their connection because they don't have it enabled. I would see this as being kind of a turn off for a server, when someone tries to connect and doesn't understand how to enable mods.

Esheon

Jul 29, 2019
Oh boy, feature creep...

In my personal modpack, I finally got MFR to work. I also saw Highlands and was like "ooh, I want to check that out". Going through Monster I'm saying "hrm, what does this do..."

I went from 86 mods to 119... Time to start paring them down, lol.

Esheon

Jul 29, 2019
I apologise if this is posted in the wrong location, however I've noticed an issue with Monster 1.0.8: Biome generation with atg only creates the "Rocky Steppe", and "Snowy Beach" biomes.
As a temporary fix, you can copy the "atg" folder from the Tech World 2 configs to the Monster configs... as long as you're not using the Highlands mod. (The TW2 config doesn't include settings for Highlands.)

If you enable Highlands, ATG will generate at least some of the Highlands biomes (as well as rocky steppe and snowy beach from ATG).

Esheon

Jul 29, 2019
As to the differences between the config files, the atg.cfg file had quite a few changes but the biomemodifiers.cfg file looks unchanged. (I just did a quick scan-through on the second one; I wasn't very thorough.) I thought the culprit was the changed # climate settings, but messing with those didn't fix anything. I don't know enough about the # generator settings to go messing with those.

However, copying just the atg.cfg file from \TechWorld2\minecraft\config\atg to \Monster\minecraft\config\atg did seem to fix the issue for me, and it worked both with and without Highlands enabled.

I don't know if using that as a temporary fix will affect your world after @Eyamaz does the hotfix, though.

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
As to the differences between the config files, the atg.cfg file had quite a few changes but the biomemodifiers.cfg file looks unchanged. (I just did a quick scan-through on the second one; I wasn't very thorough.) I thought the culprit was the changed # climate settings, but messing with those didn't fix anything. I don't know enough about the # generator settings to go messing with those.

However, copying just the atg.cfg file from \TechWorld2\minecraft\config\atg to \Monster\minecraft\config\atg did seem to fix the issue for me, and it worked both with and without Highlands enabled.

I don't know if using that as a temporary fix will affect your world after @Eyamaz does the hotfix, though.

Here are the changes for atg.cfg in Horizons
Code:
    In form: Config=OldValue - NewValue
    D:ClimateMaxTemp=0.9 - 0.93
    D:ClimateMinTemp=0.4 - 0.35
    I:ClimatePeriod=1000 - 2500
    B:UseClimate=true - false
    D:HeightNoiseScale=1.0 - 0.86
    D:HeightOffset=0.0 - 0.06
    D:MoistureMultiplier=1.0 - 0.92
    D:MoistureNoiseScale=1.0 - 1.01
    D:TemperatureMultiplier=1.0 - 1.04
    D:TemperatureNoiseScale=1.0 - 0.0

The only change in biomemodifiers.cfg is Disabling Garden

The only difference between Monster 1.0.8 and Horizons 1.0.12 regarding atg configs is that in atg.cfg:
  • ClimatePeriod is 3000 in Monster, 2500 in Horizons
  • UseClimate is true in monster, false in Horizons

Reactions: Esheon

Esheon

Jul 29, 2019
Here are the changes for atg.cfg in Horizons
Code:
    In form: Config=OldValue - NewValue
    D:ClimateMaxTemp=0.9 - 0.93
    D:ClimateMinTemp=0.4 - 0.35
    I:ClimatePeriod=1000 - 2500
    B:UseClimate=true - false
    D:HeightNoiseScale=1.0 - 0.86
    D:HeightOffset=0.0 - 0.06
    D:MoistureMultiplier=1.0 - 0.92
    D:MoistureNoiseScale=1.0 - 1.01
    D:TemperatureMultiplier=1.0 - 1.04
    D:TemperatureNoiseScale=1.0 - 0.0

The only change in biomemodifiers.cfg is Disabling Garden

The only difference between Monster 1.0.8 and Horizons 1.0.12 regarding atg configs is that in atg.cfg:
  • ClimatePeriod is 3000 in Monster, 2500 in Horizons
  • UseClimate is true in monster, false in Horizons
Well I'm dumb... I didn't even think of using the Horizon configs.

Sarda

Jul 29, 2019
Magical Crops
  • Disabled ability to get Essence Seeds
-----------
Why.

MineFactory Reloaded
  • Increased Auto Spawner cost in exact and standard mode
Advanced Genetics
  • Increased Energy Usage from 2000 to 4000
------------
Ok... Why is FTB doing mod balancing, the mod makers should be responsible for all balance not FTB. It's getting really annoying undoing/tracking lots of changes to the configs that increase with every single version of Monster that shouldn't have been changed in the first place to go back to what the mod makers have their settings at.

Esheon

Jul 29, 2019
Well I'm dumb... I didn't even think of using the Horizon configs.
Update: scratch the Horizons config, it appears to be doing the same thing with ATG worldgen. 3 worlds created, all 3 were nothing but rocky steppe as far as the eye can see.

EDIT

And @Sarda, FTB has always balanced between mods. If mod A does something significantly better or more cheaply than mod B, everyone will use mod A and ignore mod B. Mod A may be perfectly balanced with itself, but the mod developer isn't going to try and balance his mod with every other mod out there. I can only assume that's the reason behind the MFR and Advanced Genetics nerfs.

For the essence seeds, there is currently a bug where you can dupe those seeds by placing and immediately breaking them. That seems the most likely reason they're disabled.

Another Edit: Someone smarter than me in the Monster bug thread figured out the config problem... D:TemperatureNoiseScale=0.0 should be set to 1.0

Last edited:

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
Update: scratch the Horizons config, it appears to be doing the same thing with ATG worldgen. 3 worlds created, all 3 were nothing but rocky steppe as far as the eye can see.

EDIT

And @Sarda, FTB has always balanced between mods. If mod A does something significantly better or more cheaply than mod B, everyone will use mod A and ignore mod B. Mod A may be perfectly balanced with itself, but the mod developer isn't going to try and balance his mod with every other mod out there. I can only assume that's the reason behind the MFR and Advanced Genetics nerfs.

For the essence seeds, there is currently a bug where you can dupe those seeds by placing and immediately breaking them. That seems the most likely reason they're disabled.

Another Edit: Someone smarter than me in the Monster bug thread figured out the config problem... D:TemperatureNoiseScale=0.0 should be set to 1.0
Because mods cannot add conditions for every single other mod that the user might install, that's why there's the ability to do so in configs.
The mod maker ensures that the mod is not OP in itself, then adds config options to allow modpack creators to make it not OP when combined with other mods.

I'm just glad Eyamaz is doing it and not me :p

Sarda

Jul 29, 2019
Because mods cannot add conditions for every single other mod that the user might install, that's why there's the ability to do so in configs.
The mod maker ensures that the mod is not OP in itself, then adds config options to allow modpack creators to make it not OP when combined with other mods.

I'm just glad Eyamaz is doing it and not me :p

Would still be nice if we had the option of no FTB hack balancing.

Sarda

Jul 29, 2019
Make your own pack

Its very tempting these days.

Edit: Thinking about, are the universal configs just plain as their supposed to be? Like could I just throw them over the configs that monster comes with and not have to do all this hand editing to backtrack all the changes?

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Would it be possible to tell me an approx timeframe when the new version of horizons will be pushed to recommended, as we planned to reset today, but if the update comes in the next few days. I not like to break the world that fast and wait for the update.[DOUBLEPOST=1390925473][/DOUBLEPOST]ps. as this is the third time we would have to reset the world because of worldgen would you please fullfill your threat :D

Nope nope... this time its not BoP's fault.. its Slow's.[DOUBLEPOST=1391003670][/DOUBLEPOST]
Its very tempting these days.

Edit: Thinking about, are the universal configs just plain as their supposed to be? Like could I just throw them over the configs that monster comes with and not have to do all this hand editing to backtrack all the changes?

Yes. But give me 24 hours to get the newest ones up. The universal configs include a modlist with versions and a text file with the very few changes we make to the default configs other than ID's. Most of them are related to bugs. THe default changes list though will tell you which 6 or 7 settings are not mod default. And other than those its only ID's

Reactions: Sarda

Sarda

Jul 29, 2019
Nope nope... this time its not BoP's fault.. its Slow's.[DOUBLEPOST=1391003670][/DOUBLEPOST]

Yes. But give me 24 hours to get the newest ones up. The universal configs include a modlist with versions and a text file with the very few changes we make to the default configs other than ID's. Most of them are related to bugs. THe default changes list though will tell you which 6 or 7 settings are not mod default. And other than those its only ID's

Thank you my lady, you have saved me much work :D

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Magical Crops
  • Disabled ability to get Essence Seeds
-----------
Why.

MineFactory Reloaded
  • Increased Auto Spawner cost in exact and standard mode
Advanced Genetics
  • Increased Energy Usage from 2000 to 4000
------------
Ok... Why is FTB doing mod balancing, the mod makers should be responsible for all balance not FTB. It's getting really annoying undoing/tracking lots of changes to the configs that increase with every single version of Monster that shouldn't have been changed in the first place to go back to what the mod makers have their settings at.

Go ask the mod devs. They will tell you default configs are balanced against only vanilla. Thats why they give config options. So that their mods can be adjusted to not invalidate a different mod.

Reactions: AlanEsh
Status
Not open for further replies.