Mod/Item/Stuff Ideas

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Well, you can either design railway systems (or in this case ship system, oceans are sufficiently big), both from technical and visual side and use it as a target in sandbox game, or fly everywhere in MPS. I like building stuff.
Yeah, I can honestly using this instead (or in addition) to MPS and Enderchests.
Some system that sends them directly into minecarts that'll go into my base (powered by a series of spot loaders so I don't load several unnecessary chunks, cause we all know how that turns out).

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I'd love to see some sort of steampunk besides the Railcraft stuff.

Its a lucky thing I'm around, ain't it? I plan on doin just that, and I think I've given it a name: Keep of Metal and Gold. Little side reference to one of the cooler people of the Thief fandom who got a bad rep for rewarding people who donate to his site (that is basically a Thief fan mission library) with a DVD set of any fan missions they want...or all of them. Komag, this one's for you!

Technician

Jul 29, 2019
Its a lucky thing I'm around, ain't it? I plan on doin just that, and I think I've given it a name: Keep of Metal and Gold. Little side reference to one of the cooler people of the Thief fandom who got a bad rep for rewarding people who donate to his site (that is basically a Thief fan mission library) with a DVD set of any fan missions they want...or all of them. Komag, this one's for you!

With the Iridium Boilers :D?

'Nother thing is Ic2 provides Coolant Cells, maybe some sort of "liquid Coolant Cell"

It'd be interesting to see LP Iridium Boilers being Solid Fueled and the HP being Liquid.

Also, do you think liquid Glowstone/Redstone is any hot?

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
I guess they're pretty warm but not enough to burn.
Y'know what would be awesome: if you could create fuel by mixing liquid ender, redstone, and glowstone.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
The fluctuating power of Liquid Ender combined with the shocking nature of Redstone combined with the energizing power of glowstone would go together to make the ultimate infinite power source.
This would make a nifty multiblock structure... it should have particles (thousands of them!) and flashes of green, red, and yellow light, and produce MJ in proportion to the amount by which it drops your FPS.

Reactions: whizzball1

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
With the Iridium Boilers :D?

'Nother thing is Ic2 provides Coolant Cells, maybe some sort of "liquid Coolant Cell"

It'd be interesting to see LP Iridium Boilers being Solid Fueled and the HP being Liquid.

Also, do you think liquid Glowstone/Redstone is any hot?

Actually, I'm thinking of diverging a bit from what Railcraft does, in that regard. Instead of the fireboxes being liquid or solid-fueled, you can place either liquid tanks or solid fuel hopper blocks as part of the boiler multi-block, and perhaps even let you combine the two. As for molten glowstone/redstone, I don't know how hot they'd be, really. I mean, glowstone -is- native to hell and it seems that, in Minecraft, light = heat. However, if we're talking about molten glowstone dust, that wouldn't give off much heat, I'd think, since melting down a powder is significantly easier than melting a solid block.

Redstone's conductive, yes, but conductivity doesn't really equate much to heat in terms of the molten variety of the material. I might could use them for a few aesthetic things, like lights that can be part of the boiler structures; if you want them to be always-on without a redstone signal, you'd need to fill both buffers with molten redstone -and- glowstone, kinda like a glowstick.

Also, I'm not going to divide them up into simply "high-pressure" and "low-pressure" boilers. How much pressure a boiler can withstand will be dependent on the material its made with. If you make a boiler out of steel, it'd be less durable than one made out of saaayyyy, tungsten. As for secondary coolants, that might be a nice idea as an emergency stop-gap measure if your boiler, for whatever reason, runs out of water before fuel, leaving it dry, but still incredibly hot. Though, I'm thinking...perhaps you could literally pour water on to the boiler to cool it off, while evaporating the water. You could also do the same with ice, and provide more cooling at the same time.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
However, if we're talking about molten glowstone dust, that wouldn't give off much heat, I'd think, since melting down a powder is significantly easier than melting a solid block.
Molten glowstone is either, since TE lets you melt down either into the same thing (though blocks take 4 times the power and give 4 times the volume as compared to dust).

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
This would make a nifty multiblock structure... it should have particles (thousands of them!) and flashes of green, red, and yellow light, and produce MJ in proportion to the amount by which it drops your FPS.
>Turns off particles
>No fps drop.
>No power.

Welp.

Hey, RavynousHunter, I like the ideas you've got there. Visual indicators of what is in the tank would be cool too, lie for the buffers and stuff. Mini-gauges that are functional. Then I wouldn't need my industrial screens, just a bit of squinting at the thing.

FivEven

Jul 29, 2019
I have a few ideas. Not exactly organized but here it goes.

1. A bacteria or fungus that lives on radiation - Could be a method to cleanup spills? (would be neat if looked/spread like zerg goo)
2. Pebble Bed Reactors
3. Method to turn radiation directly into power
4. MFR sewage to GT methane - low/mid tier powah?
5. BC or other version of IC2 miner - In-situ leach? Factorization support for dirty ores when harvested and GT support for requiring specific acids/liquids for specific materials to be mined?
6. Salt - Salt ore/ocean biome harvestable. Used in thermosolar generators as molten salt to transfer heat and store it as well. (So want to build this thing!)
7. Geiger counters - useful? not sure, but could be used to locate the more radioactive of ores...
8. Zombie Pigmen matrix power system - use the body heat of ZP's to generate energy! They don't burn in lava so they gotta be crazy hot!
9. Kinetic generator - mmm, already involved with MPS and a windup engine from Forestry... maybe a bike or treadmill so you can go nowhere fast as you power your machines?
10. Multi-block generators - love multi-block structures. love power generation. (also, I think TC3 has it right on how multi block structures are formed. user interaction.)
11. Better Storage - I love crates!!! (This is already a mod. Just stating my love of crates and wishing it was in one of the mod packs!) We could then replace Iron Chests and if AE works with crazy large crates, that would be cool...

It's what I got for now anyway.

FivEven

Jul 29, 2019
Method to turn radiation directly into power = advanced solars :p But yeah some great ideas in there.
I was thinking less of the solar direction and more of what I linked in idea number 3.

The idea is a very efficient non-heat based nuclear battery that would have a long life and a lot energy.

I suppose you're right to mock me, since I did not make myself clear. (I assumed the link would take care of that.)

Dasein808

Jul 29, 2019
Flumecraft.

A mod dedicated to transporting items through a flume system.

It could also probably be used to create epic waterslides. :cool:

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Molten glowstone is either, since TE lets you melt down either into the same thing (though blocks take 4 times the power and give 4 times the volume as compared to dust).

Hmm...that does make things more complicated. However, from a balance standpoint, it'd still be a bit crazy to do something like that, unless it were for some really low-power stuff, seeing as how, unless you're seriously unlucky, getting large amounts of glowstone isn't exactly difficult, bar the ghasts.

Also, I'd planned on pressure gauges that can be placed either on pipes or directly on to boilers, which give a visual indication of how much pressure a given pipe network is under. Though, I had planned on having some kinda indicator on the outside that'd tell you roughly how much fuel you've got in the boiler...liquids is pretty easy, just have a bar of the right colour, more or less. Solids...that's another beast altogether, but not totally undoable.

Pericus

Jul 29, 2019
Well, you can either design railway systems (or in this case ship system, oceans are sufficiently big), both from technical and visual side and use it as a target in sandbox game, or fly everywhere in MPS. I like building stuff.

I really like the idea of ships as mobile bases. Instead of exploring and moving all your stuff to your base, take your base on an exploration trip.
I is true that with all the teleportation and flying around hardly anyone uses trains. So I agree it might not be used much (but I would use it).

I do think there is room for a mod with small early game boats. But they already exist. There is the elegant sail boat mod (which has a boat with a chest).
There is another one but it is still early development it is a fish mod with a fishing boat.

Paperboy

Jul 29, 2019
@FivEven, I really like 5 and can imagine a system that Works a bit like the tfc sluice (works over a massive area slowly depleting ores) but consumes MJ and sulphuric acid Whilst outputting a steady stream of dissolved ores. Could work as a before quarry auto mining solution and a late game way of getting large amounts of copper and uranium as they are rare, soluable ores. Maybe even input diffent acids and reagents to make the miner focus on different ores/ mine them more efficiently

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
You hardly need a mod for that, just water and hoppers :D
Buutt...waterslides!

I really like the idea of ships as mobile bases. Instead of exploring and moving all your stuff to your base, take your base on an exploration trip.
I is true that with all the teleportation and flying around hardly anyone uses trains. So I agree it might not be used much (but I would use it).

I do think there is room for a mod with small early game boats. But they already exist. There is the elegant sail boat mod (which has a boat with a chest).
There is another one but it is still early development it is a fish mod with a fishing boat.

I would have mobile bases, oooohhh man. I'd build frame stuff, but it's complicated and glitchy. But a mobile skybase has always been my dream. Heck, a moving waterbase would be awesome.

Mostly because I already build heli-pads and ports into everything, but they have no function at all.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
While I do like a lot of what I read one thing that strikes me is the heavy amount of tech type mods. Not all mind you but it seems a lot is based around advanced technology. Someone is aiming to do steampunk, which is awesome! I got some ideas on more organic/squickish type stuff. Really put some meat on Steve

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
While I do like a lot of what I read one thing that strikes me is the heavy amount of tech type mods. Not all mind you but it seems a lot is based around advanced technology. Someone is aiming to do steampunk, which is awesome! I got some ideas on more organic/squickish type stuff. Really put some meat on Steve
Well, if you kill yourself in a crucible, the meat aspect gets put in there.

We really do need more steampunk though. I typically treat buildcraft as steampunk and IC2 anf MFR as high tech. Then I mix them and pretend it's dieselpunk. Meh.