Mod/Item/Stuff Ideas

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I'd like to see some sort of power hungry mod that if you fed it various resources, it would produce spawn eggs. But it would be trial and error to learn what the recipes are, but most would make sense as they would reflect that particular creature.

Reactions: Jess887cp

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
I'd like to see some sort of power hungry mod that if you fed it various resources, it would produce spawn eggs. But it would be trial and error to learn what the recipes are, but most would make sense as they would reflect that particular creature.
Ooh, yes, that sounds awesome. And to stop wiki-peekers the recipes could be randomly generated per machine! That would be awesome.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Always wondered why no tech based mod has come up with a way of making a "legit" way of "crafting" spawn eggs. The biological side of minecraft get's less attention from tech mods. Would be nice to have some sort of Bio-Research lab.

Reactions: Jess887cp

Chrissy

Jul 29, 2019
I've never done bees except for trees, so I don't know how much power they actually need.

An addon for soulshards or mfr that lets you create span eggs would be nice. I know there is probably already a mod for that.

Uh, a catapult mod?

All the machines you need to process bees need a ton of MJ/T
And take ages even if they have adequate power

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
You don't need those machines. They are available as a shortcut in the breeding mechanics, so it should be right that they take a ton of power and are not super fast. It's still quicker then manually breeding the bee you want.

Once you have the bees you want, you'll never need those machines again. If on a server, perhaps setup a community bee machine room, that will help reduce overall material and energy costs.

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
Always wondered why no tech based mod has come up with a way of making a "legit" way of "crafting" spawn eggs. The biological side of minecraft get's less attention from tech mods. Would be nice to have some sort of Bio-Research lab.
A bio lab would be awesome. I want to stray away from the bee-genetics path though, although it might be alright if the things you produced had variable parts like in SPORE.

There are tech mods for just about everything, a bio lab would indeed be awesome.

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
A bio lab would be awesome. I want to stray away from the bee-genetics path though, although it might be alright if the things you produced had variable parts like in SPORE.

There are tech mods for just about everything, a bio lab would indeed be awesome.
There was a mod being developped that did exactly this; if I recall you would use a syringe to extract DNA from a mob then fuse it with more DNA and a chicken egg to make a spawn egg that would spawn a random mix of those mobs. It was similar to bee breeding in that you could then take the new freak thing and fuse it with something else. Basically, winged creepers that give wool or milkable teleporting chickens. It looked pretty awesome.

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
There was a mod being developped that did exactly this; if I recall you would use a syringe to extract DNA from a mob then fuse it with more DNA and a chicken egg to make a spawn egg that would spawn a random mix of those mobs. It was similar to bee breeding in that you could then take the new freak thing and fuse it with something else. Basically, winged creepers that give wool or milkable teleporting chickens. It looked pretty awesome.
I remember seeing the mod review of that, that may be where I got that idea. I'll take a look at it.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
would be quite a lot more believable than soulshards/MFR spawners. I think I'd rather like that kind of method.

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
The best part would be using MFR with it, AFAIK MFR safari nets take an exact copy of the mob, which is the reason that one can spawn Quest rams.
So one could spend ages obtaining the "perfect" mob, for various purposes, Flying exploding, poisonous mobs for battle, gunpowder laying chickens so one doesn't need to farm creepers for implosion compressor, so many possibilitys.
Sounds cool.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, the modder was quite far along with it too...
I can't find the original post though
Oh yea, I remember that mod!
It needed texturing and bug fixes, that was all if I remember.
But, yes. Biology would be a cool twist, and RNG machines (which should have been implemented a long time ago :p)

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
All the machines you need to process bees need a ton of MJ/T
And take ages even if they have adequate power
If you're running the Ultimate pack (or one with PowerCrystal's mods like MFR and such) and don't mind power loops, I believe you can power MFR oil fabricators with EU. Get a basic setup with some TE steam engines and a XyTank for water to power a refinery, store the fuel, and once you get around 100 buckets (I think that was the breaking point there, don't rightly remember, though) of fuel, make some combustion engines! Hell, if you've got a decent-sized oil well somewheres and have an ender tank pair handy, you could just drain+refine that. I built a 7x7x7 (I think, been a while since I actually made it) XyTank for fuel out of glass viewer and gold blocks; I refined one oil well to fill the tank, and the 2nd oil derrick has been running for quite some time, and is fueling 17 combustion engines that are running 24/7, which supply the bulk of my MJ/EU, if you don't count the 8 ultimate hybrid solars I'm using to power my soon-to-be bank of mass fabricators (only got the one, right now), along with starting some electrolysis to make hydrogen for a fusion reactor.

Also, am I the only one that cringes when they read that Greg made the fusion reactors output "plasmified" helium? Not because its another fucking mechanic to have to deal with, just that one bloody word, "plasmified." Its not a damn word, Greg! Try "helium plasma," or...just a thought, just call it plasma. Okay, pedantry over, lol.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
Not pedantry IMO... If you want to use technical words and make "believable" tech, do use the proper terms.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds cool.
And about power loops, a fully heated 36 HP Liquid Fired boiler will make ~872,000 steam off of one Bucket of Fuel.
One requires only 600000 MJ to make Oil.
Throw down some Power Converters, an Oil Fab and a Refinery, and 4 of the Boilers mentioned, fully heat them (It'll take a while), do some magic routing, and poof!
Power loop.
If you have the patience.

Chrissy

Jul 29, 2019
If you're running the Ultimate pack (or one with PowerCrystal's mods like MFR and such) and don't mind power loops, I believe you can power MFR oil fabricators with EU. Get a basic setup with some TE steam engines and a XyTank for water to power a refinery, store the fuel, and once you get around 100 buckets (I think that was the breaking point there, don't rightly remember, though) of fuel, make some combustion engines! Hell, if you've got a decent-sized oil well somewheres and have an ender tank pair handy, you could just drain+refine that. I built a 7x7x7 (I think, been a while since I actually made it) XyTank for fuel out of glass viewer and gold blocks; I refined one oil well to fill the tank, and the 2nd oil derrick has been running for quite some time, and is fueling 17 combustion engines that are running 24/7, which supply the bulk of my MJ/EU, if you don't count the 8 ultimate hybrid solars I'm using to power my soon-to-be bank of mass fabricators (only got the one, right now), along with starting some electrolysis to make hydrogen for a fusion reactor.

Also, am I the only one that cringes when they read that Greg made the fusion reactors output "plasmified" helium? Not because its another fucking mechanic to have to deal with, just that one bloody word, "plasmified." Its not a damn word, Greg! Try "helium plasma," or...just a thought, just call it plasma. Okay, pedantry over, lol.

Everyone's describing alternative setups that by the time i got done setting up would just be cheaper to call it quits and make a power bridge

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Everyone's describing alternative setups that by the time i got done setting up would just be cheaper to call it quits and make a power bridge
above all else, trying out funky shit like that is FUN! Power bridges are just... boring. Setting up some wacky system to do stuff is far far far more fun than just placing a block down and that does it all for you.

Chrissy

Jul 29, 2019
above all else, trying out funky shit like that is FUN! Power bridges are just... boring. Setting up some wacky system to do stuff is far far far more fun than just placing a block down and that does it all for you.

I'm more into making things compact and efficient[DOUBLEPOST=1368840276][/DOUBLEPOST]
setup a community bee machine room, that will help reduce overall material and energy costs.

In an arms race, You don't supply the enemy with plutonium