Mod/Item/Stuff Ideas

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Molten glowstone is either, since TE lets you melt down either into the same thing (though blocks take 4 times the power and give 4 times the volume as compared to dust).
I agree, they clearly should be the same thing, but you can't use the programmed behaviour of a mod to infer anything about the "reality" of the Minefraft world.

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
I like that idea, but you should make a tech/magic version that's more expensive for ftb, that runs off of all forms of power, or it's own magic. That would be cool

And speaking of compasses, remember that old plugin/mod that let you teleport with compasses? Now that made me think of endermen, and then mobs in general, and how I wished there was slightly more variety, but not an overhaul. I use randommobs, but some variation in the models would be nice to have too. I'm not adverse to new mobs, and that's why I love the Twilight Forest to bits, but I feel as though they need their own environment, like Mystcraft realm-specific creatures or something, or how nether mobs are almost completely nether exclusive.

Yep.

Editing doesn't bump, but I'm confident this thread will resurface. Laser pointer mod?

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Laser Pointer mod...?
Powercraft adds Tape Measures. That was the first thing I thought of.
That would actually be pretty nice.
As far as I know, the Playstation Move Upgrade for Portal 2 had some kind of a laser pointer fuzzy light beam thing on the edge of your special portal gun for the level set.
Maybe IChun can add that as an upgrade?

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
My girlfriend actually came up with a neat item idea earlier today: a spawner detector. Normally, it doesn't give you the exact location of the nearest mob spawner, just helpful yet vague directions like "the closest spawner is a short distance ahead of you, and is below you." But, with some extra material investments, you can upgrade said detector, with each tier giving ever more specific directions to the nearest mob spawner. At max tier, I was thinking it'd send out little enderman particle effects toward the nearest spawner, as well as specific directions.

Just working off vanilla, I'm thinking the recipes would be something like...

Tier 1: bone, rotting flesh, gunpowder, spider eye, and a slime ball in a diamond shape.
Tier 2: With the Tier 1 detector in the middle, add 4 iron ingots in a diamond around it.
Tier 3: Tier 2 in the middle, with 4 gold in a diamond pattern around it.
Tier 4: Tier 3 in the middle, with 4 diamonds in a diamond pattern around it, along with 4 blaze rods .
Tier 5: Tier 4 + 1 nether star + 1 eye of ender; shapeless recipe.

Whaddya think?
Ooh, what if you used soul shards with it? Like you can use a shard to find spawners of that type and that type only. Could point you to a nether fortress or a dungeon real quick. The higher the tier, the closer you get. And you'd have to mix it with stuff, making the soul shard itself unable to spit out mobs.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
You know what I'd like? A biome locator. Maybe made with a compas surrounded by nether quartz, and the GUI would let you choose a biome, and it would point to the nearest biome of that type. If you were IN the biome that you searched for, maybe the needle would turn from red to cyan or something like that. Similarly if you were to ask it to point to the nearest village. I think this would yes, maybe be a little OP, but imagine the reduction in filesize as people stop having to explore vast swathes of land that they will NEVER use, and instead get just what they want.

Reactions: whizzball1

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
^THIS I want.
A way to locate vanilla plains/forest to breed rural and heroic bees... Oh how I wish.
Also locating villages, maybe even nether fortresses? Because generating lots if nether tends to be detrimental to a servers tick rate.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
You know what I'd like? A biome locator. Maybe made with a compas surrounded by nether quartz, and the GUI would let you choose a biome, and it would point to the nearest biome of that type. If you were IN the biome that you searched for, maybe the needle would turn from red to cyan or something like that. Similarly if you were to ask it to point to the nearest village. I think this would yes, maybe be a little OP, but imagine the reduction in filesize as people stop having to explore vast swathes of land that they will NEVER use, and instead get just what they want.
If you wanted to reduce the "OP" you could give the thing a configurable distance limit. Could even just do it with villages.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
It's a little bit OP. You know what would make it not OP?

Instead of programming it to find, say, the nearest Jungle Biome, or the nearest Desert biome, you could only program it using Forestry's Temp/Humidity settings.

So, say you want to find a Desert. Well, then you just put Temp: Hot/Humidity: Arid and it will point you towards a desert... But maybe also to a Wasteland, and any other biome that has that setting. If you want a River/Plains/Ocean, then you put Normal/Normal and it will point towards that... And a billion other things as well.

So, maybe the output, as well as a compass in the screen pointing towards the neares biome with the settings you programmed it with, also had a text output like "Nearest biome is 500 blocks South"

Doesn't tell you what the biome is, only if it's a biome with the settings you programmed it with. Many biomes have overlap, such as Taiga/Glacier/Frozen Highlands, as well as River/Ocean/Plains and Swamplands/Marshlands etc...

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
The habitat locator from forestry is broken afaik, and finding a normal/normal plains, shrubland, meadows, ocean doesn't help finding a forest to breed heroic bees.

If it could point you to witch huts... That would also be very useful.

Reactions: whizzball1

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
For all that finding the humidity and temperature would do, a minimap does easier, the colour of the ground makes it pretty onvious about the rough temp and humidity, however not the exact biome.
Those species requiring a hardcoded biome in a game with any biome adding mods has always peeved me a bit.
Like if for example birch forest, or autumn woods from XBXL counted as "forest" then that'd be fine.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
yeah ofc this mod would HAVE to add mod support for any mod that adds biomes (BoP,XBL,not sure but I think UB adds some too)

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
Afaik UB doesn't add any biomes, just adds rocks and stuff.
But if course your one of the experts on that.

Problem is that climate isn't enough to distinguish a biome.
Greg was pondering about the best way to add his rubies, sapphires and bauxite to extra biomes and BOP a while back (a long time ago) and apparently with the hooks for climate, this could in theory be easy and adaptable.
Problems that with only 3 humidity values, having "wet" places for sapphire doesn't work.
With 5/6 temperatures (hellish isn't a new temperature, %wise, but yet counts as one above hot) so adding ruby to hot biomes is fine.
But there's no hook for a "forest" biome, or a "green, flattish" biome to add bauxite to, and therefore he has a big list of all the biomes, and what ores of his generate there.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
Whelp, i didn't even know the Habitat Locator existed. It does exactly what i suggested, except for the text information. And it needs bees. Which.... Eh.

Not the best.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe force the biome locator to take power? Redstone? Or integrate it with an energy system.
Witch huts would cost tons of it, villages would cost a reasonable amount, and biomes would be cheaper. Disliked biomes would be the cheapest (wasteland), while biomes-in-demand would be expensive (forests, mushroom).

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe force the biome locator to take power? Redstone? Or integrate it with an energy system.
Witch huts would cost tons of it, villages would cost a reasonable amount, and biomes would be cheaper. Disliked biomes would be the cheapest (wasteland), while biomes-in-demand would be expensive (forests, mushroom).
perhaps one could put it in each mods respective charging station. I'm not sure but I believe KL is implementing some kind of battery (I heard something like this on a DW20 vid but fuck knows if I can find it again)