Mining well nerfs.....

Nanakisan

Jul 29, 2019
I'm impressed. For once it wasn't SirSengir that performed a nerf on BC. I have no doubt the Mining well nerf is in direct contest to DW20's famous quarry system.

Reactions: Whovian

Jakeb

Jul 29, 2019
I'm impressed. For once it wasn't SirSengir that performed a nerf on BC. I have no doubt the Mining well nerf is in direct contest to DW20's famous quarry system.
Honestly, I'm surprised it didn't happen earlier.

Hyperme

Popular Member
Apr 3, 2013
And no ever used mining wells again. Or they just built even larger MFR farms to meet the ever growing need for power in a nerf-driven environment. People aren't giving up their chunk eating monsters. I mean since Redstone in Motion added new pattern carriages the potential for carriage quarries went up pretty high.

Minecraft Modding: Where nerfing is apparently the only option, because actual game design is too hard.

Nanakisan

Jul 29, 2019
You do have too keep a massive open mind. MC is the platform, while modding is only considered addons. There is no such concept as game design in a modder filled community. You can only design for what your mod will add to the game. Not for what other peoples mods will add to the game. Unless that is your precise goal.

Reactions: shockwave95

heliophobicdude

Jul 29, 2019
It's mean to say, but it would be hilarious to see DW's power system take a hit in his SMP series not knowing this change. But I have doubt he wouldn't find out.

Reactions: shockwave95

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
You do have too keep a massive open mind. MC is the platform, while modding is only considered addons. There is no such concept as game design in a modder filled community. You can only design for what your mod will add to the game. Not for what other peoples mods will add to the game. Unless that is your precise goal.

That's the thing. Not even single mods word for actual design of their mods at this point. Other than MFR and maybe TE and IC2. Play vanilla with just BC. It would be a waste of time. Gregtech would look less tedious. There is a reason MFR has a rather all encompassing config; mod devs are not meant to balance their mod around other mods because it's bad design. It's meant to be left to you. This is the one of the things Gregtech actually does decent. It would be better if it were simpler but I digress.

tl;dr: Mods relying on other mods is bad design.

Nanakisan

Jul 29, 2019
what other options were there? remove the mining well?
Actually yes, when you think about it. The Mining well is a legacy block from the early years of BC. Its recipe is negligible at best in comparisson to the quarries recipe. I'm rather amazed they don't just remove it.

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
"For once it wasn't SirSengir who nerfed BC..."
Do realize it was Covert_Jaguar who nerfed the hell out of BC autocrafting tables, when making such statements.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
"For once it wasn't SirSengir who nerfed BC..."
Do realize it was Covert_Jaguar who nerfed the hell out of BC autocrafting tables, when making such statements.
Cause autocrafting tables were so extremely OP :rolleyes:

CJ kills me with some of the crap he does.

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
It's not like those are useful for anything other than Dire's contraptions anyway. Seriously, I'm having a hard time thinking why, or how, would anyone bother using a mining well. Maybe walking around with item/energey tesseracts, plopping it down then picking it up again after every step?
At least I don't care about that thing now that I found out about QuarryPlus. Even though I dislike automated mining.

dgdas9

Jul 29, 2019
Well, it WAS OP, but now, why don't you just renove it, it was very underused until DireWellQuarryWithTurtles...

Jakeb

Jul 29, 2019
It's not like those are useful for anything other than Dire's contraptions anyway. Seriously, I'm having a hard time thinking why, or how, would anyone bother using a mining well. Maybe walking around with item/energey tesseracts, plopping it down then picking it up again after every step?
At least I don't care about that thing now that I found out about QuarryPlus. Even though I dislike automated mining.

QuarryPlus?

Syrinori

Jul 29, 2019
Frankly if all they changed was the power draw, this does nothing. If you want automated ores, and have the ability to move it, it's still broken. Now the requirement to make it do so is just steeper. Hardly dead.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
I personally used mining wells for setting up my nether pumps

Since they're used in the recipe, I'd plonk down the energy tesseract, stick the mining well in the position that the pump was to be in, it'd dig right down to the lava.

Pull it up, craft it with a tank, put it down and add a liquid tesseract.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Frankly if all they changed was the power draw, this does nothing. If you want automated ores, and have the ability to move it, it's still broken. Now the requirement to make it do so is just steeper. Hardly dead.
Now there is no real difference between the mining well and a quarry. You simply need to do more to make a mining well work as automated as a quarry. Which means more resources likely equaling or surpassing the cost of a quarry.