Mekanism: Feature Request Thread

Nfrance

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, heres another idea! As of now I never use the electrical chests, as they don't hold that much compared to say, a Diamond chest. So I was thinking, why not be able to upgrade them? Being able to make em reinforced, hold more etc, and maybe even with say a "system upgrade" you could link you chests, to create a pseudo AE system, just with out all the tomfoolery of AE, and it would also be more realistic then "one block holds 2158165165165161 items" because all the chests are still there holding the physical items and the chests are all taking space plus they have to be linked, but now going to one chest shows the contents of all the chests. I'm sure Mekanism would execute this in an amazing fashion as it always does.

EDIT: Also I'm not saying taking all the things AE does, just the basic item storage of it and making it a real network of chests the work together. Auto crafting would only be possible by your own ingenuity and not have things like crafting terminals.

EDIT 2: If anyone says "oh why don't you use AE then", some of us don't like all the tomfoolery and features of AE and just want the basic storage features of it.

Reactions: Mevansuto

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Oh, heres another idea! As of now I never use the electrical chests, as they don't hold that much compared to say, a Diamond chest. So I was thinking, why not be able to upgrade them? Being able to make em reinforced, hold more etc, and maybe even with say a "system upgrade" you could link you chests, to create a pseudo AE system, just with out all the tomfoolery of AE, and it would also be more realistic then "one block holds 2158165165165161 items" because all the chests are still there holding the physical items and the chests are all taking space plus they have to be linked, but now going to one chest shows the contents of all the chests. I'm sure Mekanism would execute this in an amazing fashion as it always does.

EDIT: Also I'm not saying taking all the things AE does, just the basic item storage of it and making it a real network of chests the work together. Auto crafting would only be possible by your own ingenuity and not have things like crafting terminals.

EDIT 2: If anyone says "oh why don't you use AE then", some of us don't like all the tomfoolery and features of AE and just want the basic storage features of it.
It's called Logistics Pipes, and it already exists.

Failing that, there's another mod called Refined Relocation that does this in Resonant Rise.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
The logistical transporters already do most of this. The only thing it doesn't do is massive storage of tons of stuff. Unless you want to hold massive numbers of a single item. Granted, with logistical transporters, and the Mekanism version of barrels, you can do an old-school barrel and tube storage wall. So I really don't know what else you want.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
The logistical transporters already do most of this. The only thing it doesn't do is massive storage of tons of stuff. Unless you want to hold massive numbers of a single item. Granted, with logistical transporters, and the Mekanism version of barrels, you can do an old-school barrel and tube storage wall. So I really don't know what else you want.

This:

Nfrance

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I find Mekanism is a cool TECH mod, so I want to store my stuff through tech. Plus, I don't like barrel/bin storage set ups. So I will continue to want what I suggested. Also I would find it more convenient to just set up a Electrical chest System then going through the process of creating some elaborate bin set up with the sorters and such.

EDIT: Also, did you not read the last line of my post? I don't want to use logistics pipes, or refined relocation, or any other mod. I would rather have it in Mekanism.

Last edited:

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I find Mekanism is a cool TECH mod, so I want to store my stuff through tech. Plus, I don't like barrel/bin storage set ups. So I will continue to want what I suggested. Also I would find it more convenient to just set up a Electrical chest System then going through the process of creating some elaborate bin set up with the sorters and such.

EDIT: Also, did you not read the last line of my post? I don't want to use logistics pipes, or refined relocation, or any other mod. I would rather have it in Mekanism.
I feel this is a perfectly reasonable thing to want, even if it creates more redundancy. The thing is, however @Aidan implements it, it'd be unique (see Digital Miner, Logistical Transporter and Wind Turbines* for great examples).

*Can't overstate how cool those models are.

Nfrance

Jul 29, 2019
I feel this is a perfectly reasonable thing to want, even if it creates more redundancy. The thing is, however @Aidan implements it, it'd be unique (see Digital Miner, Logistical Transporter and Wind Turbines* for great examples).

*Can't overstate how cool those models are.
This is exactly why I want these features from Aidan, he makes the idea 10x better.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always

Your Logistical Transporters which *ALREADY EXIST IN MEKANISM* can already do this. You can use your Configurator to color-code your pipes for your sorting convenience. It's every bit as powerful as the old RP2 sorting system, but without needing an actual sorting machine.

What you are requesting already exists.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Your Logistical Transporters which *ALREADY EXIST IN MEKANISM* can already do this. You can use your Configurator to color-code your pipes for your sorting convenience. It's every bit as powerful as the old RP2 sorting system, but without needing an actual sorting machine.

What you are requesting already exists.
I'm pretty sure he's talking about being able to access all the items in your chests through one block/item.

Reactions: Mevansuto

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I'm pretty sure he's talking about being able to access all the items in your chests through one block/item.
Indeed. Yet Shneeky has one huge valid point. There's a very good reason that such functionality is either implemented in a single mod or in a mod of smaller scope. It takes a lot. Plus the fact the functionality is already available between at least 3 other mods makes the request seem, to some, illogical.

Yet it is just a request. I personally hope its not taken on, but thats just how I like my coffee

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
You can already do this as well. Use the Configurator to set the LT to suck and tell it what item to suck and it will suck any item from anywhere connected to the LT to the chest you are asking it to go to. You can also use the Logistical Sorter to do the same thing a bit more automated.

Again, requesting features that already exist. Please actually use the implemented features before requesting them again. You can head to the wiki to go feature diving. It's really a lot more documented than people seem to think.

Nfrance

Jul 29, 2019
I already understand the features of Mekanism quite well, so I understand what the in's and outs are, so I have no need to look at the wiki. I was merely requesting a more convenient storage system that would also give more use to something that already exists in Mekanism but is rarely used (the electrical chest). Their is no need to constantly berate and condescend a person's suggestion or what he wants simply because you feel something doesn't need a change or a person doesn't want to do something your way. Anyways this is a "Mekanism suggestion thread" not "argue about what features are already in Mekanism and why others opinions are not ideal", so let us keep it the former please.

Also, whether or not we argue about it won't really make a difference in the end if Aidan likes the idea or not.

Last edited:

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I already understand the features of Mekanism quite well, so I understand what the in's and outs are, so I have no need to look at the wiki. I was merely requesting a more convenient storage system that would also give more use to something that already exists in Mekanism but is rarely used (the electrical chest). Their is no need to constantly berate and condescend a person's suggestion or what he wants simply because you feel something doesn't need a change or a person doesn't want to do something your way. Anyways this is a "Mekanism suggestion thread" not "argue about what features are already in Mekanism and why others opinions are not ideal", so let us keep it the former please.

Also, whether or not we argue about it won't really make a difference in the end if Aidan likes the idea or not.
I think you have missed my point entirely. What you are asking for already exists. You can already do this. The feature has already been implemented.

The only reason the Electrical Chest is not used in most mod packs is that there are other mods that provide far superior storage options. If you decline to use those other options, the electrical chest would be far more widely used. In the face of AE and some of the other mods, there's just no need for a chest that consumes energy. Without them, there would be, and it would be used more.

I'm not berating anyone, I'm trying to tell you that what you are asking for already exists! Everything you have asked for can already be done in Mekanism.

Nfrance

Jul 29, 2019
Intimidating robits to scare away the baddies >=)

In all honesty though, a base defense thing sounds nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuzzbling