Manufactio - Minecraft/Factorio hybrid

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Wait, are you able to incorporate other mods blocks into modular machinery??? Have I just totally missed this?! :D That's really damn cool holy moly.
Yep, any block. Worth testing though with Tile Entities, but so far, I've used MagneticCraft Inserters and IE Pre-Heaters fine.
Allows for some more visually interesting builds.

A

Anakardian

Episode 8 is out :)

One thing i noticed is that you need to be super careful about your supplies to the assemblers.
They will pick a recipe at random and see if they can make it. if so, they do it regardsless of other materials present. At least that is what it looks like to me.

One thing i found is that you can stop an assembler with a redstone signal on the controller. This will not reset the recipe selection but at least you can stop the waste.

One way around this is the use of blueprints.
Apparently you can insert a blueprint in the controller to tell it what kind of machine it is.
Not sure how difficult it will be to use but probably worth checking out for fools like me who can't balance the inputs perfectly.

Like the new furnace. Good idea to have an intermediate step from the blast furnace to big smelter whose name i have forgotten.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Yep, any block. Worth testing though with Tile Entities, but so far, I've used MagneticCraft Inserters and IE Pre-Heaters fine.
Allows for some more visually interesting builds.
That is really neat! :)

Hmm thinking about it, I DID see something in someone's SevTech series where it looked like the dryer used chisel's fan blocks. I'd never made the connection! That's very cool :) Do multiblocks require a minimum number of MM blocks to work?

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012

One thing i noticed is that you need to be super careful about your supplies to the assemblers.
They will pick a recipe at random and see if they can make it. if so, they do it regardsless of other materials present. At least that is what it looks like to me.

One thing i found is that you can stop an assembler with a redstone signal on the controller. This will not reset the recipe selection but at least you can stop the waste.

Apparently you can insert a blueprint in the controller to tell it what kind of machine it is.
Not sure how difficult it will be to use but probably worth checking out for fools like me who can't balance the inputs perfectly.

Like the new furnace. Good idea to have an intermediate step from the blast furnace to big smelter whose name i have forgotten.
Its' not quite random, it has a priority system based on avaiable materials.
What I'm going to do is change the recipe so that the item you are crafting is part of the recipe, but it's not actually consumed as part of the craft. This makes the recipe totally unique and will stop the assembler from crafting something different if a resource runs out.
Good find about the redstone control, I was actually wondering about that the other day.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
That is really neat! :)

Hmm thinking about it, I DID see something in someone's SevTech series where it looked like the dryer used chisel's fan blocks. I'd never made the connection! That's very cool :) Do multiblocks require a minimum number of MM blocks to work?
The smallest I've done is 4 blocks (controller, input, output and power)

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
The smallest I've done is 4 blocks (controller, input, output and power)
That makes sense - those would be the critical blocks really! With extra inputs or outputs of the relevant types if you're using liquids as well?

I'm assuming there's no support for mekanism gases - I wouldn't expect there to be!

Also, do all multiblocks have to follow a cuboid form? And finally how complex is the system for putting new machines in?

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
That makes sense - those would be the critical blocks really! With extra inputs or outputs of the relevant types if you're using liquids as well?

I'm assuming there's no support for mekanism gases - I wouldn't expect there to be!

Also, do all multiblocks have to follow a cuboid form? And finally how complex is the system for putting new machines in?
The fluid inputs/outputs also support Mekanism gases.

The shape can be anything (see here: https://forum.feed-the-beast.com/th...ft-factorio-hybrid.283615/page-7#post-1996745) my first machines.

The mod includes a tool for highlighting the blocks to make the structure, so you highlight them all, then rightclick the controller, and it makes a JSON file. That needs editing (remove the NBT Tags, and add some extra required stuff) and that's it (for the machine, then it's a case of building JSON recipes for each).

A

Anakardian

What I'm going to do is change the recipe so that the item you are crafting is part of the recipe, but it's not actually consumed as part of the craft. This makes the recipe totally unique and will stop the assembler from crafting something different if a resource runs out.

That would be one way of doing it.

I was thinking something like using the blueprint slot in the controller. Apparently that is used to tell the machine what it is when several machines have the same layout.
Not sure how it will work but that would be a different way of doing the same.

The recipe for blueprints could be the item you want to lock it into surrounded by paper or a special blueprint machine.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
That would be one way of doing it.

I was thinking something like using the blueprint slot in the controller. Apparently that is used to tell the machine what it is when several machines have the same layout.
Not sure how it will work but that would be a different way of doing the same.

The recipe for blueprints could be the item you want to lock it into surrounded by paper or a special blueprint machine.
Each machine has something unique about it, that way I can lock it behind stages, but I can see the need for that machine blueprint system, it's not easy to make a machine that's different enough.
Similar recipes are not a real issue in normal Minecraft, but the Factrio style is a few components make different items (which helps with the automation/logistics).

So, to do list for next update:
* Update assembler recipes adding the crafted item as a "blue print" to the ingredient list
* Finalise the Electric Furnace and update quest book
* Possible mob retuning, depending on more feedback & investigation
* Ongoing work to the Space and Beyond (Building a satellite and generating rocket fuel all covered in the quest book, now at the rocket building stage)
* Thinking of adding some "guide chapters" that is a graphic guide to certain blocks/structures
* New - Add alternate recipe for IE projectors
* New - Add a MM style cobblestone generator (so no blockbreaking lag)

Last edited:

bigyihsuan

Jul 29, 2019
For the blueprint/recipe key idea, it'd be nice to have an additional output hatch on the assemblers, so that even if the key isn't consumed, it would output with the expected output so that things don't break, such as having a single assembler for AE2 autocrafting, for example.

It'd also me nice to be able to craft the modular machine blueprints. And also make the IE projector craftable.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
For the blueprint/recipe key idea, it'd be nice to have an additional output hatch on the assemblers, so that even if the key isn't consumed, it would output with the expected output so that things don't break, such as having a single assembler for AE2 autocrafting, for example.

It'd also me nice to be able to craft the modular machine blueprints. And also make the IE projector craftable.
Unfortuately that would mean having to loop the "blueprint" back into the machine for continuous autocrafting, I can see where you are coming from though regarding AE2. AE2 is really near end game (and totally optional), so I think for this pack, I'll have to not factor in AE2.

Am I missing a function of the MM blueprints? New to the mod, so do they have some inworld use apart from being able to look at the machine structure in JEI?

Also, 2 new items added to the to do list.

bigyihsuan

Jul 29, 2019
Looking at the MM docs, looks like you can set machines to need a blueprint to function, using
Code:
"requires-blueprint": true

EDIT: I also noticed a modifiers.txt in the MM config, with a gold block being used to increase machine speed by 50%. Link to the docs. This could be how you add in modules, maybe through other modded blocks? You can even have recipe output have a chance of outputing more than one.

Possible module ideas:
  • Pneumaticcraft Radiators as speed modules
  • ??? for productivity
  • Mekanism induction matrix blocks for energy buffer/efficiency?
A whole new level of ridiculousness just opened up.

The example:
Code:
    "modifiers": [
        {
            "elements": "minecraft:gold_block",
            "x": 0,
            "y": -1,
            "z": 0,
            "description": "Increase speed by 50%",
            "modifier": {
                "io": "output",
                "target": "duration",
                "operation": 1,
                "multiplier": 0.1
            }
        }
    ],

Last edited:

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Yeah, I've been looking at modifiers too. There are some issues. Only one modifier (so you can't increase speed and power usage), the block being used must not be a meta of the blocks used within base machine. Speeding up the machine keeps the same total RF requirements, so increases the RF/t.
Productivity is a weird one, you can't have an extra chance of output, but it could be done so that it has a small chance of not consuming the raw materials.
It is on my radar to have machine upgrades, once the foundation is in place.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
The fluid inputs/outputs also support Mekanism gases.

The shape can be anything (see here: https://forum.feed-the-beast.com/th...ft-factorio-hybrid.283615/page-7#post-1996745) my first machines.

The mod includes a tool for highlighting the blocks to make the structure, so you highlight them all, then rightclick the controller, and it makes a JSON file. That needs editing (remove the NBT Tags, and add some extra required stuff) and that's it (for the machine, then it's a case of building JSON recipes for each).
Oh nice! :) That's very cool.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
The only thing I can't do is have increased power usage as well as speed/efficiency. But TBH that's not a big deal, the minecraft stuff is either more expensive to build, or more awkward (or both!). But I'll restrict the upgrade to just one type, so you have to choose what you want to do, instead of mixing and matching.

DaMetaEX

Jul 29, 2019
if your talking about the mek upgrades. dont restrict the silence upgrades. cant tell you how annoying those blocks get when infinitely crafting stuff

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
if your talking about the mek upgrades. dont restrict the silence upgrades. cant tell you how annoying those blocks get when infinitely crafting stuff
I always lower the sound volume in the config. I don't mind the machinery noises, but they are too loud by default. Those silencer upgrades will be there and not locked behind any research.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012

Small energy! Small energy! Small energy! - screaming in my mind :p Factory is starting to take shape nicely, and that's just the beginning.
I think the best option regarding the metal press is to setup a dedicated area for making plates and gears, using some detection system when storage is full to turn them off, and use the next tier of conveyors to send those plates/gears to whatever assemblers you need. Once those conveyors fill up, inserters will stop loading onto them.
So, that means more iron mining & more smelting, and possibly even another boiler/generator setup. Might be worth investing in the Crusher.

The blueprints are only for machine structures, so you can have a machine with the same build, but the blueprint you put in controls how it functions.
You can see how the factory just keeps growing, Factorio devs did a real good job with their game design. Hope it's translating well into Minecraft!

Adjusted the Standard Assemblers to use an item as a blueprint:
2018-10-18_21.09.01.png

Hope that makes sense. Not all recipes need it as some are very unique. So the assembler will not process those plates, gears and circuits into inserters until the unused inventory slot has an inserter to "program" it. Not an ideal solution, but the best option available.

Electric Furnace now knows how to process ore blocks (dusts to follow), and I've based RF/t and time on a ratio of melting points of the various resources (so tin smelts a little faster & cheaper than iron), and also adjusted the tick time in the Blast Furnace too. So some minor fuel/energy/time saving depending on ore.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Looking at the MM docs, looks like you can set machines to need a blueprint to function, using
Code:
"requires-blueprint": true

EDIT: I also noticed a modifiers.txt in the MM config, with a gold block being used to increase machine speed by 50%. Link to the docs. This could be how you add in modules, maybe through other modded blocks? You can even have recipe output have a chance of outputing more than one.

Possible module ideas:
  • Pneumaticcraft Radiators as speed modules
  • ??? for productivity
  • Mekanism induction matrix blocks for energy buffer/efficiency?
A whole new level of ridiculousness just opened up.

The example:
Code:
    "modifiers": [
        {
            "elements": "minecraft:gold_block",
            "x": 0,
            "y": -1,
            "z": 0,
            "description": "Increase speed by 50%",
            "modifier": {
                "io": "output",
                "target": "duration",
                "operation": 1,
                "multiplier": 0.1
            }
        }
    ],
I'm thinking of making use of some of the chisel blocks, removing them from the chisel system.

The Spinning Fan for Speed Module (+20% speed, +20% RF/t as a result - basic assembler and standard asssembler both can accept 20% max with their current input plug)
The MegaCell Battery for reducing RF/t
The ME Controller for productivity (4% chance of not consuming ingredients - magic!)

I know Factorio has multiple tiers, but I'll stick to the one tier. The plain MM block under the controller is replaced with one of the 3 possible modules to get the benefit. (Just hope it's posssible to define 3 different modifiers in the same block space - something to test).