Magic Farm 2 venting and advice thread

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
True. I guess if the mobs can get the armor you can too.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
yeah, I don't play anymore outside. Hopefully soon I'll be able to after I get sufficient gear up. the drops are significant, but you have to be extremely picky.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
yeah, I don't play anymore outside. Hopefully soon I'll be able to after I get sufficient gear up. the drops are significant, but you have to be extremely picky.

Pfft. C'mon make a base outside. No house just chests and what not laying around. On hardcore. c:

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Pfft. C'mon make a base outside. No house just chests and what not laying around. On hardcore. c:
my base is outside. it is just sounded by a fence that none of them will be able to get me directly. sounds op well it took a long time for me to set it up and I died many times.

BIG mac

Jul 29, 2019
my base is outside. it is just sounded by a fence that none of them will be able to get me directly. sounds op well it took a long time for me to set it up and I died many times.
I just put torches over pretty much a whole desert biome, using f7 to make sure mobs couldn't spawn anywhere.

Edit: and I use sleeping bags like crazy

Reactions: netmc

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Psssh play in hardcore then we'll talk.

Challenge accepted.

So far in this world, I have a small farm going with rutabagas, potatoes, carrots, wheat, and berry bushes (harvestcraft), and a full set of iron tools. This is on a new 2.0.1 MF2 world. There are no natura berry bushes. They have been turned off. I only have the basics at this point. bed, crafting table and smeltery.

Birello

Jul 29, 2019
Cant play without lucky blocks. On hardcore. Yeah. Twice in a row blowed up and lava caged third.
Also 5 deaths while exploring world for thaumcraft stuff. Like you get some diamond armor, sword of zephyr, axe of the stream, some big farms in your base. All is cool right. But no! You need some auras to fill up your wand or maybe you still didnt find magic forest. And you walking around the world. Too deep. You forgot your sleeping bag! Good luck fighting that ultimate vengeance sticky ninja wither zombie with fishing rod (no jokes). Yeah, and unfortunetly you cant run because you forgot your food also! Or you was catched by black cloud in the nether. Pigmen dont like you touching this cloud. Let's swarm this bustard! Black cloud, man! From what bloody mod is that?!
Well you exploring some aura nodes and swimming in water now. Oh new node! HUNGRY NODE. Couldnt even saw this is hungry one because no destruction around. Haha first time saw this after 6 worlds.
Well boy play a scrubcore my mamma said. But i have a beard i cant play scrubcore!
Thank you @Jadedcat for awesome pack!

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Challenge accepted.

So far in this world, I have a small farm going with rutabagas, potatoes, carrots, wheat, and berry bushes (harvestcraft), and a full set of iron tools. This is on a new 2.0.1 MF2 world. There are no natura berry bushes. They have been turned off. I only have the basics at this point. bed, crafting table and smeltery.

Its only hardcore if you are also using the harder configs <.<

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Its only hardcore if you are also using the harder configs <.<

I'm not quite that masochistic. I have died plenty of times with the standard configs.

Out of curiosity though, where do I enable the harder config files, and what do they change?

Also jaded, I found the next block that needs to be tweaked a bit. In the latest build, the growth craft fisher is quite OP for the current recipe. Normally, it is 5 string and 4 sticks for one fisher, but with the recipe conflict with mariculture, you get 4 fishers for the same materials. Placing the fisher in the middle of a 3x3x3 water block, it produces tons of fish for no effort. I didn't build one until I already had my farm going, but if I were to do this again, I'd skip the farms entirely (other than what was needed for animal breeding), and rely completely on fishers. Maybe if it were changed to take 9 mariculture nets to make 1 fisher, it would be a bit more balanced for early game. But still, 4 fishers produce more than enough food to rely on.

Pip69

Jul 29, 2019
I'll second the Growthcraft fisher being OP. I already had a farm going so I just did 2 (before the recipe change) to see what it was like. Some ducts, barrel and chest and I've gotten 12+ stacks of fish last I looked. When I'd read that you were changing the recipe I thought it was going to be harder (like the rest of the food).

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
I'll second the Growthcraft fisher being OP. I already had a farm going so I just did 2 (before the recipe change) to see what it was like. Some ducts, barrel and chest and I've gotten 12+ stacks of fish last I looked. When I'd read that you were changing the recipe I thought it was going to be harder (like the rest of the food).

I just changed the recipes so it was craftable. Thats why this is a testing version. More balance changes will be needed before it goes to reccomended.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I will also say the gravestone drop list may need to be tweaked a bit as well. I found a graveyard in a village near spawn and dug up the graves and got a bunch of iron. So much so that i was able to bypass the flint and copper tool stage entirely.

Can the gravestones be configured to have a chance to spawn skeletons or zombies when dug up? If so, that would definitely deter the looting of graves during the first few days.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
So, how do i enable the harder config? Is it a choice in the launcher, or do i need to download it somewhere?

Cronos988

Jul 29, 2019
These infernal mobs are just beginning to get ridiculous. It goes beyond just difficult and well into the absurd. I just rolled back 1.5 hours of game play due to these things. I don't mind the occasional tough mob that I have to battle differently. But with all the difficulty of having to level weapons, eat regularly to keep health regen in effect, then run into a spawner pack with 2-3 infernal mobs (some invisible) and a nearby potion trap that threw out poison potions and multiple infernals had the rust ability, that is all just too much.

Jaded is known to have a sadistic streak, but really?

Heh, I did a rollback recently, too. A suicidal villager caused the loss of my weapons and infernal mobs right in my base (which had my items, so I couldn't despawn them).
I had expanded my base with a nice little village plot and created some houses for two villagers I had brought with safari nets. All went well for the first night. However, the second day, one Villager found the one spot where he could hop on the wall, and fell off on the other side. Just before nightfall. Immediately I could hear zombies approaching, so I quickly build a ramp back into the village, hoping the villager would use it to flee (he did, only to get killed inside the village instead). Unfortunately, one of the zombies was a sticky webber bulwark zombie. The first left-click cost me my sword, and I just didn't have enough arrows to fight him, being unable to get away due to the webs.

So the infernal zombie killed me, went into the village, turned the villagers into infernal zombie villagers, and kept my items. All because of a stupid villager and a single hole in the security system (he somehow managed to jump diagonally, too).

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
So, this is considered Easy mode? And do you currently play MF2 in hardcore mode?

Have to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, and know when to run. I run away from maybe 20% to 30% of the named mobs because they either deal damage too quickly or they regen too quickly.

It adds to the danger/excitement/risk.

Edit : This is on default mode. I can't imagine how many times I'd die (in the worst) case or have to run (medium case on hardcore. Imagine not too many "stand and fight" instances on hardcore.

Last edited:

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
So, how do i enable the harder config? Is it a choice in the launcher, or do i need to download it somewhere?

If you open your config folder you should find a zip file called "Harder MF" unzip that and use the config file in it to replace the default configs. As a warning it is evil.[DOUBLEPOST=1391619901][/DOUBLEPOST]
I will also say the gravestone drop list may need to be tweaked a bit as well. I found a graveyard in a village near spawn and dug up the graves and got a bunch of iron. So much so that i was able to bypass the flint and copper tool stage entirely.

Can the gravestones be configured to have a chance to spawn skeletons or zombies when dug up? If so, that would definitely deter the looting of graves during the first few days.

The gravestones are supposed to spawn zombies at night.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019

problem is, get a bed and you don't have to fear that anymore... the graves outside really contain too much loot for a pack like magicfarm
the loot either needs to be nerfed, or mobs should be able to spawn more frequently instead of only at night, perhaps even make it so mobs in the graveyards can't burn in sunlight, making it a whole lot tougher to walk around

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
Might as well elaborate.
They have a random chance to spawn an enemy when at night. The type of enemy depends on the type of grave. Pet graves can spawn a skeletal or zombie version of that type of pet (wolf, cat). Other graves spawn zombies and skeltons. When you are in the nether or in a Wither Catacomb (giant nether brick dungeon in the overworld) they can also spawn zombie pigmen and Wither skeltons. Due to this mechanic, there are a special type of block in Wither Catacombs called Night Stone which have the same texture as nether brick but cause the time to be changed to night in order to make the rooms filled with graves more dangerous. These block can be identified with WAILA and can only be picked up with a silk touch pick, otherwise they drop nether brick
problem is, get a bed and you don't have to fear that anymore... the graves outside really contain too much loot for a pack like magicfarm
the loot either needs to be nerfed, or mobs should be able to spawn more frequently instead of only at night, perhaps even make it so mobs in the graveyards can't burn in sunlight, making it a whole lot tougher to walk around
Most of the gravestones I have encountered have been in the catacombs which are plenty difficult to explore, and the loot is fairly balanced. I ended up with a TON of bones (something like 20 stacks), and a bit of other random things (leather armor stone swords, clay, redstone, occasionally gold) from the entire catacombs worth of gravestones, so specifically what are you talking about?