Magic Farm 2 venting and advice thread

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
So are scythes the way to go for weapons?
It is situation dependent. For strip mining, yes. You need them to take care of swarms of silverfish. I also like it for going out at night as it helps fight off swarms. You should also get a cleaver to help you get heads so that you don't have to grind. It also deals the most damage per hit. Your main weapon is up to you.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
So are scythes the way to go for weapons?

The aoe attack is good for swarms like silverfish and multiple zombies. If you add knockback to the weapon it does even better at giving you a bit of breathing room. The sword of the zephyr is also a good swarm sword.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
In previous packs, my weapon of choice was the cleaver. If you make it out of manyllium and add some sharpness or smite, it can pack quite a punch. It will one/two hit most mobs.

With the infernal mobs and Zombie swarms, the choice isn't quite as cut and dry.

With some thaumcraft research and infusion enchanting, one of my favorite weapons is a bloodwood bow with infinity, sharpness and knockback. I can one shot creepers and most mobs. (15-20 damage). Add flame for a little DoT to that, and almost everything is one hit.

Personally, I think i will carry 3 weapons for now. An up close and personal weapon, an AoE, and a bow. Once my thaumcraft has progressed a bit, it will be the sword of the zephyr and a bloodwood bow.

Reactions: MigukNamja

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
With some thaumcraft research and infusion enchanting

There's a [TT] Osmotic Enchanter with your name on it, waiting for you to claim it. This was my first world using one, and I like it way better than Infusion Enchanting, though it does seem a bit OP. The Vis requirement per full set of enchantments becomes trivial once you have a good collection of captured nodes.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
I can't find any information on the OE anywhere. got any links?

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I can't find any information on the OE anywhere. got any links?

I'm an old-school text fan myself, but the only info on the [TT] OE I could find was YouTube videos. Here's a decent one:

The one I made required (just) 12 Obsidian Totems, which are obtained from the evil Thaumcraft totem/idol thingies scattered throughput the world. I found most of mine in the Taiga biomes while traveling through them to find other biomes. I saved the Obsidian Totem blocks and whacked the evil node to get the essences.

I built one similar to the video : OE block in the middle with six(6) 2-high Obsidian Totems around it, each with a Nitor on it.

I'm not sure what adding more Obsidian Totems per column does. It may lower the Vis cost per enchantment.

Oh, and a word of warning : you *must* do all the enchants per item in 1 shot. You can't do 1 enchant, and then expect to come back and add another. When you place an item with 1 or more enchants in it in the OE, the GUI won't come up.

Also, you can swap out wands half-way through an enchantment. I often have enchant packages that require well over 100 vis in 1 or more primals, which means (at least) two(2) wands, but never more than two(2) thaumium-capped silverwood wands full of vis.

And, last but not least, the OE is, IMHO, the perfect goal at the end of the Node in a Jar quest. In my previous world, I built up large a collection of nodes to simply spam the various magic blocks like Travel and Warding, but the OE is a more concrete/tangible/useful use of all those nodes. It's far easier to make a complete setup of backup weapons and armor with an OE, a few wands, and a large node collection.

Also, you can enchant Redstone Arsenal weapons in the OE. I put Looting and Sharpness on my RA sword.

Last edited:

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Do you know if the OE enchants books? If it does, thats all I need. put up a single enchant of whatever I can afford with a silverwood wand or nodes into a book, run it through a bibliocraft press and make copies. Doubling up the enchant if needed with the item to enchant and an anvil.[DOUBLEPOST=1391457915][/DOUBLEPOST]I would definitely rather do enchanting though the OE than the less dramatic and boring openblock/MFR combination solutions. Less Techy, more magic farmy too.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I'll try a book tonight.

However, I like the OE-only version minus the book copying. It takes very little effort once you have the right setup, which is lots of nodes and a few recharge pedestals. It also looks and sounds exactly like it should, IMHO, like powerful magic is taking place. Given that it requires:

1. Blocks from at least a few Obsidian totems
2. A "Dangerous"-level Infusion
3. Several silverwood wand cores to use efficiently
4. Lots of captured nodes to use efficiently

...which implies quite a bit of adventuring, resource-gathering, building, and mob-slaying, it makes sense that it should be easier and faster than TiCo random weapons and better than diamond random armor drops. In other words, it's a nice progression for the mod-pack as a whole.

MF2 progression in my experience is roughly:

1. TiCo tools and weapons with leather armor
2. Better TiCo tools with basic enchanted iron armor
3. "Expert"-level TiCo full-enchanted tools and weapons with full diamond armor
4. Enchanted Thaumcraft armor (ex. Thaumostatic Harness)

Haven't decided on what the "best" weapons are yet. Not sure if they are good/lucky TiCo combinations, fully-enchanted Redstone Arsenal, fully-enchanted TC4, or other. TiCo is random, yes, but it does have beheading, which is nice for Wither Skeleton skulls, which is necessary for Wither Boss, which is necessary for Nether Stars, which is necessary for Blood Magic progression.

Well, "necessary" is a strong word. You could certainly explore, find enough of those Nether-brick graveyard-dungeon thingies, and kill those Wither bosses without ever summoning one. You could also slay a *lot* of Wither Skeletons.

Last edited:

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Is there a tc or bloodmagic device that pulls off an enchantment from an item? I know mfr does, but I want to stay away from it as much as possible.

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a tc or bloodmagic device that pulls off an enchantment from an item? I know mfr does, but I want to stay away from it as much as possible.
Thuaumic tinkerer has the spellbinding cloth that will clean an item of its enchantments. You don't get them in book form but you get a clean item to re-enchant.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumic Tinkerer kind of does; the spellbound cloth is what it adds. It doesn't pull enchants off, but it removes them entirely from the item.

Edit: note to self: refresh page before replying.

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumic Tinkerer kind of does; the spellbound cloth is what it adds. It doesn't pull enchants off, but it removes them entirely from the item.

Edit: note to self: refresh page before replying.
I am like the ninja, silent but deadly striking without warning and without obvious source.<phft>

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
I have a division sigil. I have no idea what it does or how to use it.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
This may seem silly, but how do I pump lava in MF2? There is no buildcraft or IC2. I have this extensive lava lake system under my base, and no good way that I know of to use it.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
This may seem silly, but how do I pump lava in MF2? There is no buildcraft or IC2. I have this extensive lava lake system under my base, and no good way that I know of to use it.

ExtraUtilities EnderThermic Pump. It's quite a bit more expensive than the BC pump, but it leaves nice solid blocks in the place of lava and does not cause server or client "lava flow lag".

Edit : @Not_Steve beat me to it ;-)

Reactions: Not_Steve