Magic Farm 2 venting and advice thread

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
According to the pastebin in the getting started guide - http://pastebin.com/YEfN8sCX - I should be able to mine diamonds, gems and redstone using a bronze pickaxe head. I can't actually mine it though. Am I reading this wrong, or do I still have to boost the pickaxe before I can actually mine the listed tier?
Yeah, you need to boost it.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
According to the pastebin in the getting started guide - http://pastebin.com/YEfN8sCX - I should be able to mine diamonds, gems and redstone using a bronze pickaxe head. I can't actually mine it though. Am I reading this wrong, or do I still have to boost the pickaxe before I can actually mine the listed tier?

Yes you must boost it before mining a new tier. Always.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
You can however get from iron to bronze by making pig iron. That was really handy for me since I am living in a village.
Uhh... What? I personally wouldn't waste the time trying to make pig iron over just mining for a bit with an iron pick or adding a creeper head.

BIG mac

Jul 29, 2019
Uhh... What? I personally wouldn't waste the time trying to make pig iron over just mining for a bit with an iron pick or adding a creeper head.
Oh I already had the stuff to make it so I figured why not. A nice little villager had given me a bunch of emeralds for some of my wheat.

Reactions: DREVL

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
So I live kinda close to this nether overworld fortress. Is this wither somehow contained within the fortress when you come by to say
Hi or does he jail break the mother fucker?

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
So I live kinda close to this nether overworld fortress. Is this wither somehow contained within the fortress or does he jail break the mother fucker?

If he spawns he'll rip through it.

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
So I live kinda close to this nether overworld fortress. Is this wither somehow contained within the fortress when you come by to say
Hi or does he jail break the mother fucker?
My way of dealing with it was simple: Destroy the spawner before he spawns. I sprint jumped up the stairs and destroyed the spawner in less than 10 seconds. Very worth it as you get 8 diamond blocks and an emerald block. But it takes hours of play to find him when you are in the dungeon. You end up with a ton of loot as well as string, rotten leather, and bones. Break the gravestones as they will have loot. I completed 1 with about 5 hours of exploration and ended up with 10 stacks of bones.

On a related note, how many of these Gravestone dungeons have you guys (and girls) encountered. I have 2 fairly close to my spawn, 1 of which was directly below my starting cave.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
That's unfortunate. Can't think of a mod way to contain it. No warded blocks, alloy blocks, xy sheilds, or mffs... Any ideas?

Why contain it when you can make a SPAMR rocket launcher and blow it to hell?

If you want to spawn him and kill him: Make quite a few iron golems 3-10 and place them above the spawn then drop them in and go in and set the spawner off. You'll wanna add several layers of cobble on top of where it is though.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
So this fortress... is it over world mobs or is it nether mobs? I simply can't imagine wasting such a resourse such as a wither spawner... but then again none of the mods really require a star. Would love the blocks of dias and emeralds. If you were to ensare this guy with a safari trap, and put it into a auto spawner, would just one come out or would multiple come out?

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
So this fortress... is it over world mobs or is it nether mobs? I simply can't imagine wasting such a resourse such as a wither spawner... but then again none of the mods really require a star. Would love the blocks of dias and emeralds. If you were to ensare this guy with a safari trap, and put it into a auto spawner, would just one come out or would multiple come out?
Blood Magic requires 4 Stars for beacons for its final tier of altar. And I'm fairly certain that withers are blacklisted from the MFR auto-spawner. Plus, it is a custom spawner, it doesn't spawn endlessly, it only spawns one, then destroys itself.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I will have to say, I find the infernal mobs highly infuriating. It's bad enough having a bunch of silverfish come at you and practically kill you. Then just once you think you might make it through, an infernal one pops out and smites you down.

I didn't have another weapon handy, and by the time I got another one made, all my items despawned.

On my way back after getting back my hotbar items, I mined some more, then got knocked down by a angry zombie that shoots fireballs! It sneaked up behind me and took me down to 2 hearts in one shot. I was wearing full iron at the time! Edit - It killed me as well as it summoned other zombies to itself and I got mobbed by it and 2 others.

The only tip I got out of all this is to make a backup set of armor and weapons. Swap the weapons out occasionally so you have another set leveled up in case you need it.

The frustration in all this has almost made me quit magic farm entirely and go running back to GT. I was doing so well with my food supply too.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Lol... if something drives you back to play gt, its pretty bad form.[DOUBLEPOST=1391379401][/DOUBLEPOST]But yeah, always have a complete backup of gear. Server pvp taught me that.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
The silver fish are hard but not rediculous. I actually make a point to find the fish viens. The kingpin usually coughs up diamond gear. that's been huge. The zombie stuff gets dumb.

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
If you rage that badly from being killed like that, pause and go to peaceful... or just disable the mod entirely... yeah.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
My goal at this point is to get enough iron to make the tier 2 tinkers table and make myself the scythe.

I finally boosted my bronze pick enough to mine diamond level , and can now make alumite? (The pink metal)

If you rage that badly from being killed like that, pause and go to peaceful... or just disable the mod entirely... yeah.

It wasn't the single death. It was losing almost all my inventory and dying about 6 times with nothing to show for it in the end. THAT was the infuriating part of it.

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
Oh no, don't think me rude. I actually have been in many situations like you have been in, I pause for peaceful any time I find an infernal that has too much health (Or Ghastly or Regen)

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
This is just a really different game than i am used to. It actually puts the survival back in the game rather than just really hard creative.

It did take me 3 times to get the hunger part figured out. I will get the infernal part figured out too.

I did get an alumite scythe created. So that should help. I tried creating a green slime tough tool rod but it looks like only the normal tool rods can be slime crystal. :(

I guess i will save the slime crystals for a bow and some tier one tools.