Magic Farm 2 venting and advice thread

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
trying to go out of my way to not use a tree farm. If this cane doesn't hurry up, it isn't going to keep up with a simple AE wireless storage demand and herb essense demand. Shame. One thing I have been trying hard for was to only use power sources that came directly from the immediate surrounding. I'm in a plains. I can grow trees, but I was trying very hard to not to.

Reactions: MigukNamja

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
trying to go out of my way to not use a tree farm. If this cane doesn't hurry up, it isn't going to keep up with a simple AE wireless storage demand and herb essense demand. Shame. One thing I have been trying hard for was to only use power sources that came directly from the immediate surrounding. I'm in a plains. I can grow trees, but I was trying very hard to not to.

Self-imposed rules : I like !

If you're sticking to sugarcane, you can always build a bigger farm. Yeah, brute force, I know, it's the only suggestion I have left to offer for Herba Essentia.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
well it slightly irks me when I have 5 different engines that all do the same thing with the same resources in the same way. and yes MFR tree or nether pump lava are the best ways to go. It also gets systematic from play through to play through. Its kinda what put me in MF2 in the first place. Its easier when you have more options, its more interesting when you have less options than if you have more.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
well it slightly irks me when I have 5 different engines that all do the same thing with the same resources in the same way. and yes MFR tree or nether pump lava are the best ways to go. It also gets systematic from play through to play through. Its kinda what put me in MF2 in the first place. Its easier when you have more options, its more interesting when you have less options than if you have more.

I can't agree more ! With overlapping mods, one is very tempted to use the simplest solution possible rather than figuring out how to accomplish something the longer or more complicated way.

I really like the fact that there is not an early-game generic pump. The Enderthermic pump with its Ender Pearl and Obsidian requirements delays pumping lava or any other non-water liquid until well into the game. It works especially well with Iguana Tweaks delaying Iron and Obsidian acquisition.

Ditto not having Ender Storage. This has forced me to use Strongboxes, Portable Tanks, and ExtraUtilities Drums much farther into the game and to plan my build around itemducts and fluiducts having good paths and being covered with microblocks panels/covers.

And, ditto PfF. No creosote means I have to use seed oil, which requires quite a bit more infrastructure and provides incentive for breeding tree saplings for nut/seed oil production.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019

If you have the latest version of the pack 2.0.1 (or newer), it has the new extra utilities generators. I had the chance to check out the culinary generator. Convert food into RF! :D The better the food, the more power you get. If I ever get far enough in hardcore, I plan on using transvector interfaces attached to growthcraft fishers. The fishers check the surrounding blocks 3x3x3 cube with itself in the center to see how often it will generate an item. You can share water blocks, and end up spacing the fishers every other block. For some string and sticks, it is a pretty powerful block. The transvector interface is so I don't have any pipes connected directly to the fisher, thereby having all blocks around it as water and maximizing its output. Feed the fish into a furnace (you can use the infernal furnace for some XP), then feed the cooked fish into the generator.

I thought the culinary generator fits in perfectly with the MagicFarm theme! :)

As for the numbers, the culinary generator produces 40RF and cooked fish lasts for 4 seconds. Raw fish is 2 seconds. Based on that, it looks like you get 4 seconds per full hunger bar filled when eaten. So if you can produce a few of those culinary feast meals, you should do quite well for power generation. :)

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Self-imposed rules : I like !

If you're sticking to sugarcane, you can always build a bigger farm. Yeah, brute force, I know, it's the only suggestion I have left to offer for Herba Essentia.
yeah, I was wrong about it not working. once you get the lamp working with a 2 chunk field, with 2 lamps in each chunk, it gets real hard to keep up with. should be enough for everything.

cannajan

Jul 29, 2019
growthcraft fishers. The fishers check the surrounding blocks 3x3x3 cube with itself in the center to see how often it will generate an item. You can share water blocks, and end up spacing the fishers every other block. For some string and sticks, it is a pretty powerful block.
I thought she'd taken the fish traps back out? this item keeps getting changed! in,out,in,out, whatever, I doubt if it will stay in the pack, its very easy to craft early game and gives alot of food.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
I thought she'd taken the fish traps back out? this item keeps getting changed! in,out,in,out, whatever, I doubt if it will stay in the pack, its very easy to craft early game and gives alot of food.

It dshould be gone in 2.1.1

PowerfulMoss

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure if it is a bug or purely very unfortunate but following my first trip to the nether I travelled back through the portal thinking i would pop out at the portal I had made at my base only to arrive in the wither spawn room in catacombs 600m away from my base... the second time (trying to get my stuff back) and each susequent time I tried this I appeared in a random cave close to the catacombs as the wither blew up its own portal when I went in the first time...

My only other point is that the xp drain is uncraftable as the recipe is the same as agricultures oven shelf.

@jaded amazing pack and the most fun I've had in minecraft in ages.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Reactions: MigukNamja

netmc

Jul 29, 2019

It dshould be gone in 2.1.1

It is gone in 2.1.1. Just checked out the update and found several mariculture items removed along with the fishtrap. I also got two ID mismatches on my world load, but will need to roll back my install and configs to check to see what those two items are. It's too bad. The enchanted books from the fishtrap really were nice. It let me start enchanting my armor at the iron age. The books were a bit random, but I was able to get infinity for my bow, which is pretty awesome for that early in the game.

Maybe I'll have to start looking through mariculture and the rest of growthcraft and see if there are any expoits new tricks I can learn from them.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
It is gone in 2.1.1. Just checked out the update and found several mariculture items removed along with the fishtrap. I also got two ID mismatches on my world load, but will need to roll back my install and configs to check to see what those two items are. It's too bad. The enchanted books from the fishtrap really were nice. It let me start enchanting my armor at the iron age. The books were a bit random, but I was able to get infinity for my bow, which is pretty awesome for that early in the game.

Maybe I'll have to start looking through mariculture and the rest of growthcraft and see if there are any expoits new tricks I can learn from them.

Joshie pulled a few things out. And renamed some others, and added some more...

joshie

Jul 29, 2019
Joshie pulled a few things out. And renamed some others, and added some more...

Yeah, the update included 1.2.0 of Mariculture. (I rewrote 90% of the code of existing stuff, and added a bunch of stuff) (As well as removing unnecessary/unused things, such as limestone/stairs slabs + block forms of molten metals). So somethings would of gone wonky.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, the update included 1.2.0 of Mariculture. (I rewrote 90% of the code of existing stuff, and added a bunch of stuff) (As well as removing unnecessary/unused things, such as limestone/stairs slabs + block forms of molten metals). So somethings would of gone wonky.

Nothing is wonky <.<

joshie

Jul 29, 2019
Nothing is wonky <.<

Lol, I mean for example, my freezers turning in to fish sorters, since I removed them :p. Or pearls dissapearing from oysters since I changed how they stored the data for displaying the pearl :p. Or if you're using a texture-pack how my oysters looked all messed up cos i changed the texture size.

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
On a related note, what are the basics one should have to get started in Mariculture? I have been reading up on it and it looks awesome.

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
On a related note, what are the basics one should have to get started in Mariculture? I have been reading up on it and it looks awesome.

A diving suit is handy to get started. I would substitute a snorkel for the diving helmet though, you'll be able to breath underwater longer. Harvest any pearls you find, including oysters that don't have pearls. Gather up those oysters and make a little pearl farm near your base for all your jewelry needs. You'll also want a vat and a handy supply of lava so you can get started on the manufacturing portion of the mod. Just read the books you get as you progress in the mod if you get stuck.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, what are these pink swirls on the zombies? I've run into a few of them that seem to be invincible. There isn't anything showing that they are an infernal mob, but they just don't die. I hit one of them for dozens of shots with a power II bow, then dumped them in the lava, and they keep bouncing up and down as happy as they can be, except they can't reach me.

2014-02-12_23.14.18.png

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Those zombies have been given the special ability of regen. You aren't going to kill them with a P2 bow. You best run son.